Spirits of Vengence

Ratty

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

GakiWIPSkin.jpg

As painting another 2 Gaki is not very interesting I'm doing a bit of work on them while working on my Redchapel Gang. So far I've only really done the skin. I'm using a similar Technique to the one in my Belle Skin Guide However instead of undercoating with the skin colour I under coat with GW Liche Purple, I washed with GW Leviathan Purple. I then started with GW Liche Purple instead of the Brown Violet in the skin mix, and replaced the Thraka Green with Leviathan purple in the washs. Otherwise it's almost exactly the same.

Perhaps this was asked and answered already in the thread here, but what alternate sculpt are you using for the Lost Love there (since Wyrd's obviously isn't out yet)?

Also, absolutely beautiful models. I could say more but it all sums up to "beautiful" anyway, so I'll just leave it at that.

You happen to do commissions? My gremlins aren't gonna paint themselves and I sure don't seem to have the motivation to do it :)

A few people have asked me for some pointers on painting. Having worked for a certain evil empire I have taught a lot of people to paint over the years, and I can definitely point to some things that people consistently get wrong when they start painting. I will say how your meant to do it, not how I do it as I've been painting so long I don't think about a lot of things and have tonnes of bad habits.

I'll try to add a bit on techniques every couple of days, covering things like fine freehand work, washes, blending etc. Hope it helps people.

Firstly amount of paint on the brush and amount of water in the mix is really important, in fact I would say the MOST important thing, if you can get it right you will find everything easier. Place some paint on a palette. You will normally need to add a tiny bit of water. Next roll the tip of your brush in the paint, you will want it at an angle of about 30 degrees from the palette. This should give you a decent tip, but it also helps to get the paint up into the bristles. You should think of a paint brush like a ink pen, the tip is like your nib and the area behind it is a reservoir for the paint. If you have the right consistency the paint should flow to the tip from this reservoir when you put down pressure on the tip. The best way to test if you have it right is to paint a thin line on the palette after you have loaded the brush, this should show you right away whether the paint is too watery or too dry.

Have a try and see how much easier you will find getting the paint where you want it, you will also find brush won't split as much and you won't need to get more paint as often.

I wanted to get all my Onryo converted so I could batch the last 4 all together. Don't know if I'm ever going to end up fielding all of them, I know some players have managed to get 8 out, but I rarely get above the 2 I've already painted.

Onryogroup.jpg

There is something very unnerving about getting out a large pair of clippers and removing the hands, head, all the hair and also clipping off the ends of the shawl. Seeing a model you have paid good money for in bits with a lot of the detail removed is painful. However I wanted all of them to look different so what else could I do.

As they have razor sharp fingernails as their weapon of choice I thought I would do the last 2 with much longer nails. The smaller hands off ghouls are about the right size though due to the nails and the fact they are more spread out look larger than the original hands. I decided to make this one much more upright, this meant I had to extend the cloth on the bottom of the robes a little bit. Once that was inplace I worked out how I was going to have the shawl hanging. I wanted to give it a traditional Geisha hairstyle so I had to resculpt a large amount of the arm where the hair originally was. I also added the crosses to the arms that appeared on the picture in the book (I don't know what these are for but I've seen them in a lot of anime, possibly they are some kind of reinforcement.)

OnryoWIP5f.jpg

OnryoWIP5b.jpg

The last model I wanted floating backwards warding an assailant away with it's hand. I had to rotate the forehand around, so I clipped it off and re-pinned it in position. I also had to do a major conversion on the hair. As it would not be flowing backwards. I also added a Obi and Obi-age, as I felt it would allow me to give the model more backward movement with the way it was flowing.

OnryoWIP6f.jpg

OnryoWIP6b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So this is my Crew as it stands (minus Jack Daw and his 2 friends). I think it's more or less done now. I might want to add on a couple more Gaki, if I can think of a good way to do them. The lower skirts are so distinctive that I don't want to convert another 2 from the original models. I'm wondering if Pistol Wraiths might be a good start, I'll have to have a look at the models.

I'll be adding in 2 Shikome at Christmas (if they are out), and I'm also interested in 2 or 3 Insidious madnesses and a couple of Stolen.

FullCrew.jpg