MrNybbles

I have to second this statement of irregularity in the tactica, though. I, too, read the updated description of Treasure Hunt to be a flat maximum Wk of 4, not a reduction by 4. From Rising Powers, p.60: "A model carrying the Counter reduces its Wk to 4."

Thank you for pointing that out again (and with the relevant rules), I misread that in both the book and LoboStele's post mentioning it. Both Treasure Hunt and Shared Treasure Hunt do indeed say to.

I'll fix that, eventually. I'm currently fighting a cold and don't want to make too many additions to the next update, and there is a lot that still needs to be added.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No rush. In the meantime, I'll contribute my approach to Treasure Hunt:

- Whatever the scenario, place one Coryphee at the closest point in the deployment zone to the Treasure Counter. Place the second Coryphee, Cassandra, Performer, Mannequin and Colette nearby such that they're all within the 6" Companion bubble.

1a. Activate Mannequin and trigger Companion, naming all models listed above.

1b. Activate Coryphee closest to the Counter. Use two moves to get right up next to the Counter (no Deployment Zone is far enough to deny Coryphee it's ability to get to the Treasure... excluding terrain challenges, of course)

1c. Activate second Coryphee. Use 1AP for Dance Partner, bringing the Coryphee in base contact with the other one. Use 1AP for Dance Together, replacing the two Coryphees with the Duet.

1d. Activate Cassandra. Use 1AP for Dance Partner, either switching places with the Duet (if they're too exposed remaining out in the center) or right next to it so Cassandra is touching both the Duet base and the Counter. Use 1AP to Interact with the Counter. Use Nimble to move 4" back towards the deployment zone.

1e. Activate Colette. Get Reactivate. Use 1AP for Illusionist to switch places with Cassandra, who drops the Counter such that Colette is now in base contact with it. Use 1AP to pick it up.

1f. Activate Mannequin. Link to Performer. Attempt Mirrors.

1g. Activate Performer. Walk twice towards Colette, setting the Mannequin in base contact with the Performer closest to Colette without interrupting her travel back to the deployment zone. If Mirrors went off, the Mannequin should be within Aura range of Colette to afford her some protection during the opponent's turn.

2. Reactivate Colette. Summon a Dove, then use 2AP to walk 8" closer to the deployment zone.

If you go first, Colette could easily be at the very edge of the deployment zone--if not a few inches away from it--before your opponent has even activated a second model. What's more, the most forward models will be a Mannequin-Performer wall approximately 4-6" in front of Colette while the rest of your crew is safely at the front of the deployment zone.

It's worked with great effect to force the opponent into more aggressive tactics that generally lead to mistakes you can take advantage of.

Hopefully I'll get this right. In the Treasure Hunt and Shared Treasure Hunt Strategies the model carrying the Treasure Counter acts as if its Wk stat is 4 if it was originally greater than 4. Models with a Wk stat of 3 or less not affected.

I'm tempted to add something about the how the walk reduction interacts with Wk buffs (like Seamus), but I don't think there have been any official rulings on this yet.

BEGIN EDIT

WEiRD sKeTCH to the rescue!

Thread: Belles of the Ball and Treasure Hunt

END EDIT

Terrain is placed before the Strategies and Schemes are picked so it is possible for the Treasure Counter to end up on top of a building or in severe terrain. In such cases a Mechanical Dove may be useful for getting to the Treasure Counter first. However, picking up the Treasure Counter will make the Mechanical Dove loose Harmless.

Edited by MrNybbles

I played Colette vs. melee Ramos crew last night and I have a strategy to add. I don't think I've seen this on here, but I may be forgetting. If it's a repeat, I apologize.

My crew was

Colette

Cassandra

Coryphee x 2

December Acolyte x 2 (I use what I have)

vs

Ramos

Joss

Steamborg Executioner

Steampunk Arachnid Swarm x 2

My strategy was Treasure Hunt, his was Slaughter. I used Colette and the Coryphee to blitz the treasure piece and had it in the deployment zone on the first activation of the second turn. But that's not what I want to mention.

On the first turn, the Borg, Steampunks, and Joss moved up their maximum range. My last activation was to take Cassandra (already 6" out) and walk her 15" directly into melee with the Borg and one Swarm. Because of this, the second turn made it so the Steamborg could do nothing useful. On the second turn, I just waited until the end and activated Cassandra last, attacking once and then Dance Partner'd her back to the deployment zone, from whence I proceeded to mount a defense against the spider army.

Edit: Just got an answer in Rules that the Borg could've disengaged and trying to keep it there would negate Celebrity. So the plan isn't as fun as I thought.

Edited by Cheshire
Rules Comprehension

I fear ever pulling your name in a tourney draw - jackiechan.jpeg

I've only played in one tournament and didn't do that well because I was busy that day and showed up when it was half over.

Edit: Just got an answer in Rules that the Borg could've disengaged and trying to keep it there would negate Celebrity. So the plan isn't as fun as I thought.

Correct, a Disengaging Strike is a type of attack. In the next update I'll be adding a section called The Caveats of Disengaging Strikes which cover this and also that Harmless ends when a Harmless model makes a Disengaging Strike.

With this announcement from Eric J I'll probably be adding the next update either a few days after the next errata is released or when the announcement is made, depending on if they announce they released the new errata or it will be up within a week. Any longer and I should be well enough to tipple check the next Tactia update, upload it, and then fix whatever goofs didn't show up in OpenOffice since it doesn't do BB formatting as far as I know.

Mr. N, any thoughts on Blinding Flash? Its a trigger that goes off even if Colette loses the Def duel, I'm pretty sure is has some interesting uses.

Yes, that will also be in The Caveats of Disengaging Strikes when the Tactica is updated. I suggest not trying this against models with the Wicked ability (which causes Disengaging Strikes to inflict damage).

You can try moving Colette out of melee range and ask your opponent if they wish to make a Disengaging Strike to stop you. They will normally say Yes. Reguardless of if Colette is hit or not cheat in a Tomes card (it's more fun when it is the ace of :tomes) and trigger Disappearing Act. The action ends immedatly (meaning she doesn't continue to walk. Just make sure you have another Showgirl you want to swap with within 18" before you do this. Disappearing Act still triggers.

If I remember correctly then if Colette is hit by a Disengaging Strike model with the Wicked ability then Colette's A Blinding Flash goes off inflicting Slow and swaps places with a Showgirl within 18", then the damage is inflicted (because the strike happened before the Df trigger went off).

I think the Tactica already mentions you can have a Mannequin attack Colette with Bash (the weapon every model has mentioned in Book 1) and Colette will most likely easily defend against it. The Mannequin (Which already has Slow) is inflicted with Slow, but Slow doesn't stack so no loss there, and Colette basically gets a free Illusionist action without even activating.

This is fun to do with a Showgirl APC. Ooh, I gotta tell everyone about Showgirl APC!

• 3 weeks later...

I used a fun trick with Cassandra to get her and a Duet into an advanced position, but safe from damage until Turn 2. I used this to get to Nino and Abuela Ortega in a game against Perdita (they were far back, but isolated from the rest of the crew).

I pushed Cassandra 6" before the game began. I activated Collette first, moved her forward twice, then gave her Reactivate.

On my next activation, I used a Mannequin to companion Collette, Cassandra and two Coryphee. The Mannequin linked to Cassandra and I had a card in my hand to activate Mirrors. Collette moved forward once. One Coryphee moved up 16", then the other used Dance Partner followed by Dance Together to make the Duet. The Duet moved forward, keeping within 18" of Cassandra.

Then Cassandra used (1) Defensive Stance, moved to join the Duet with Dance Partner and, since Collette was within 12", used Disappearing Act to bury the Duet. Cassandra then used her last move to get behind a railing, putting her in hard cover, and activated Southern Charm.

The Mannequin moved into base to base with her.

Cassandra now had :+fate :+fate on her Def and all attackers had :-fate :-fate on their attacks, plus Armour 1, plus she was immune to Weak dmg and could use Soulstones :D

The whole Perdita crew shot at her. Santiago Focused a shot to get a straight flip, but I just used a soulstone to make her Def too high for him to beat. Cassandra took a couple of wounds from their +1 Dmg trigger, but that was all, and I placed the Duet at the end of the Turn and took out Nino and Abuela.

• 1 month later...

@ Odin1981: Leveticus only draws a new hand when he is killed. Rusty Alyce and one of his triggers allow him to more draw cards, but if the Leveticus player gets low on cards for any reason and you have a high card and are willing to Soulstone the flip (Cassandra will gain Use Soulstone via being in Colette's crew and the Coryphee Duet get it via a zero-action) then it actually isn't that difficult to pull off. It's not something I'd expect to pull off on the first two turns, but if you get Leveticus up on the ropes. . .

@ Lord Shaper: Don't worry, this thread isn't quite dead yet. :)

Version 2011-02-18

Updated the section regarding the Mannequin's Fixable ability now that it has been added to the extra errata. It is a bit of a cuddle, but fixing Mannequins anywhere in play just because you are within 2" of a Mannequin wasn't exactly logical. Overall it doesn't really hurt the Showgirls at all and brings balance to the Force.

Also, at least 3 people have let me know about an error regarding Treasure hunt. Basically I misread it and though it said "reduce by" instead of "reduce to." This has been updated.

The next major Tactica update will be shortly after the release of the updated rulebook due out sometime very soon. I'll update the Tactica to reference it instead of the original rulebook because everyone will have access to the new one in either book form or PDF form.

I'm assuming the page numbers will be the same between the two forms of the updated rulebook.

Yeah, the Fixable thing never made all that much sense anyways. Kind of bummed that the Mannequin's can no longer Fix themselves, but I understand why. Still a very strong technique to have the Mannequin linked to a Performer, and after it does some blocking for the Performer, the Perf uses one of it's AP to heal the Mannequin. Still pretty strong.

The two versions will prolly not have the same pagination, due to one having diagrams, pictures, etc, and the other not having it, but it's a guess.

Both the New Rulebook and the PDF of the New Rulebook should have page numbers on the pages themselves which should be identical. The PDF file will also enumerate the pages, but that's not really useful for this.

A note on Killjoy in this crew. The tactica already notes that Mechanical Doves are the cheapest means of getting him on the table, but he has a certain synergy with Coryphee that can help. One of the problems with Killjoy is that you want him to hit the Big Enemy Beatstick, but this is usually where your other beatstick models (Coryphee, Duet, Cassandra) are. Killjoy has an annoying Ability that activates him at the start of the Activation Phase and often ends in him attacking your own models (Blood Price).

If you cannot Summon him in melee with an enemy, Summon him so that the Coryphee, or preferably the Duet, blocks LoS to your other models. Blood Price forces Killjoy to Charge the nearest model, but Coryphees cannot be Charged, and if they are blocking LoS to Cassandra (and any others) he has no option but to Charge an enemy model, even if it is not the closest.

Also, getting Cassandra to use Disappearing Act is a good way of shuttling Killjoy around the table once he has appeared. Bury him, move Cassandra and then Killjoy pops out within 6" in the Start Closing Phase. Provided he can only see the Coryphee, your own models will be safe from Blood Price.

Lastly, keep a Mechanical Dove within 2" of him. I usually keep one near the Coryphee anyway, so this is not a problem. If Killjoy's Slow To Die triggers, kill the Dove and (0) Eat Your Fill. A full health Killjoy :)

Edit: no, that wouldn't work. Can you use Eat Your Fill out of activation? If not, you can still hit the Dove on. Killjoy's own activation.

35SS Crew

Colette
(Cache: 5ss)

Mechanical Dove

Cassandra

Coryphee

Killjoy

Edited by Sholto

Lastly, keep a Mechanical Dove within 2" of him. I usually keep one near the Coryphee anyway, so this is not a problem. If Killjoy's Slow To Die triggers, kill the Dove and (0) Eat Your Fill. A full health Killjoy :)

Edit: no, that wouldn't work. Can you use Eat Your Fill out of activation? If not, you can still hit the Dove on. Killjoy's own activation.

Overall this seems like a sound idea, especially if you have the Slaughter strategy. I don't know how well it would work or against what crews though.

The Eat your Fill is a zero-action so you couldn't do it during slow-to-die which only gives you 1 General AP, but could be used during your normal activation.

Remember, it Killjoy makes a Cleaver strike against a Mannequin (with Armor 3 and Object 2) it will take only 1 Wd, unless you flip Severe Damage.

Note to Self: Blood Price was changed in the errata to a charge.

Got my first game with the full crew last night. 35ss, and I took the Showgirls boxset plus 2 Coryphee (which comes to 35ss).

Played against Rasputina, and Colette showed her danger. She used Disappearing Act four times, once on the Coryphee to whip it out of danger, twice on enemy models to pull them out of position and the last time I tried for and got the Mannequin Replacement trigger :D

Against a slow crew like Raspy, I was able to get a Showgirl close (usually super-quick ones like Coryphee or Cassandra). Then, using Companion so it happens all at once, use the Bash Colette trick to have Colette switch places with them, use Disappearing Act on the exposed enemy model and then switch places with Colette's Mannequin. The Mannequin Pushes back to Colette and all my models are well out of range and I have an enemy model Buried. I unBuried them inside buildings, which left them with a long slog to get back out (although the Ice Golem just sent Icy Blasts out the window!)

Thinking about playing Killjoy with this crew, and another trick occured to me. Well, not really a trick, just an interesting way to play. Crew would be Colette, Cassandra, 2 Coryphee and Killjoy. The Coryphee (as the Duet) would strike an exposed enemy model. Cassandra would use Disappearing Act on Killjoy, Dance Partner to move up to the Coryphee and Breath Fire. Then Colette would use Illusionist on the Coryphee to switch and use Disappearing Act on Cassandra. As soon as Cassandra is removed from play, Killjoy comes back. Colette is left a bit exposed, but with her Blinding Flash trigger she is fairly safe.

Another thing Colette could do is try and turn one of her own Doves into a Mannequin. She would have plenty of time on Turns 1 and 2 to try it, since she is able to both get in and out of danger in a single activation when she has a Mannequin around to Companion and then Bash her. If she had just one Mannequin, it would perfect the Turn by Turn Killjoy delivery mechanism above :)

Edited by Sholto

Figured I should bring this to everyones attention:

Wrong. All abilities require LoS to the target. Incite, Pacify and Gamble Your Life all target enemy models and thsu require LoS.

This does not apply if the ability does not target a model (an Aura for example) or if the ability states it ignores LoS (Austringers for example).

-Ropetus

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?p=207170&posted=1#post207170

Apparently, abilities do require line of sight...

???

Only if they 'target'.

Colette's Illusionist and other similar abilities doesn't 'target' anything.

I agree this makes sense, but where is it mentioned in the rule books or errata?

Also, the question was brought up in this thread in regards to the Performer using Mesmerize without LoS

Memerize targets so it requires LoS.

I'm not sure I can find a reference for the ruling without having to dig through dozens of old threads which I'm not really that keen on, sorry. It might be in the Book/Errata aswell though, not really sure where to look - but 99% certain it works that way.

Edit:

It'll probably(/hopefully) be clarified in the rules manual that is to be released within the next few days.. So I don't think it's worth spending the time looking for it right now.

Edited by Wodschow

Memerize targets so it requires LoS.

I'm not sure I can find a reference for the ruling without having to dig through dozens of old threads which I'm not really that keen on, sorry. It might be in the Book/Errata aswell though, not really sure where to look - but 99% certain it works that way.

It certainly should work that way - that's how it works in every other game - but I can't help but think they forgot to mention that in the rules.

The only places where I see it specifically says LoS is required is when casting a spell, and -here is where the confusion could be coming from-making a strike

In the MRB on page 54 under the "Strike Attack Sequence - Details" it says

A model must be within the attacker's LoS to be declared the target of an attack

Emphasis mine. Now we all know "attack" was errated to be, basically, something that targets something.... but in the book this is in regards to making a STRIKE specifically.

@ WUWU & Wodschow: This is interesting, thank you for bringing this stuff up. Okay, here is the relevant rules regarding Attacks and Line of Sight.

Book 1, p.24

If, for any reason, an acting model does not have LoS to its declared target, the attack is not legal and the model may declare a second target within LoS instead. . . .

Page 1 of the Malifaux Errata (Version 1) also covers what actions are attacks.

This is another one of those rules that seems superfluous at first because Strikes and Spells already require LoS, but isn't because it also covers actions which are attacks.

So Mesmerize does require LoS which makes sense. I'll make a quick update to the Tactica after dinner.