Crews best suited for beginners?

Sebo

Hello, I'm a new player and I've managed to one game in with my So'mer crew (played very basic with almost no spell usage) and found the game fun even when limiting myself. But in all, I think I still got most of the concepts down for the game, which makes me glad because I'm leaving for Japan in a few days to study for a year and I plan to take my minis/books with me to teach the game to others when I'm there.

So this brings me to the main question: what are the easiest crews to play with? I already have So'mer (as mentioned earlier), Ophelia, and Lilith, and I'm thinking of getting one or two more starters, but I'm not sure which ones I should get. All I know is from what I've read here and in the books, I should probably avoid Leveticus and Pandora, but who is simple in terms of gameplay?

Thanks.

Perdita's a pretty simple Master, Francesco and Nino don't have anything tricksie to learn and none of her units are anything too convoluted as far as running them well goes. You aready have Ophelia though so you probably don't want her.

Seamus is nice because he's difficult to kill, especailly for a newbie player, so whoever is using him will have good survivability, Belles are only 4ss, have 8 wounds and hard to Wound.

The Arcanists are all easy to screw up, so are the Outcasts for the most part. I'd recommend Nicodem as well for a resser possibility, McMourning is a bit trickier as he and his boy Sebastian rely on Triggers which are easy to forget.

This is just off the top of my head, without really looking at the book at everyhitng everyone has, so take it with a grain of salt. Lillith is pretty easy starting out as she only has a couple of tricks but they're very good ones.

The easiset to use well, in my mind, are Perdita, Lilith and Saemus. Ophelia, Lady Justice and Rasputina aren't too difficult either, but probably require slightly more time to figure out compared to the first three (only slightly though).

You're definitely right in avoiding Pandora and Levictus. Although in all fairness Pandora was my first Master, and I did pretty well with her before eventually moving on to Zoraida.

What these guys said, but I would also add The Viktoria's to the list (although I am slightly biased !). They are very straight forward to pick up, and although they are a touch on the fragile side, I am having a blast with them.

If you do go for them though it is probably best to avoid the boxed set and just get yourself the two Viktoria's, some Ronin and either the Convict Gunslinger or Misaki. Like I said, this is fairly straight forward, but can be made a bit more tricksy by adding the likes of Hamelin or Bishop.

I would say out of the Box there are some Crews easyer to play as others :

Easy:

Perdita,

Witchhunters,

Lady Justice,

Seamus,

Rasputina,

Ramos,

Victorias,

Lilith

Middle:

Pandora (her Crew ist pretty hard, but you have to think about mutch special Rules so that could be hard for a beginner),

Zoraida (she has a lot of bad tricks but isn´t that straight forward, and you need her dools...),

Orphelia (she is quite goodf, but they are still gremlins)

hard:

Somer (you have not much points and you´ll be missing more Gremlins to summen them. And after all they are Gremlins... that could be frustrating)

Marcus (Think he is one of the weakest masters, his playstyle is realy straight forward, but you have to choose your tactics quite carefull. For People who like hit & Run an fragile but fast Minions... he is the man)

Leveticus, Mc Mourning, Nicodem (You´ll just need more minis to get the best out of them)

My first crew was rasputina, my second the Viktorias.

I would sign everything said about them above.

Rasputinas Crew is terribly slow but hits hard and the few rules they need are easy to remember.

The viktorias are quite easy to play, too. I actually like the crew box the way it is, as it contains tough characters and they all have a strong profile (the Mastresses are a bit fragile but they hit hard!).

For beginners i would suggest them.

Perdita's definitely easy and cheap (money wise. all you need is a box)

Seamus is pretty much ditto.

Rasputina works pretty well out of the box

Justice will need maybe an executioner along with hers, and she's very straightforward.

I would not recommend Nicodem if money is an object, he requires LOTS of models.

and all the above mentioned are pretty easy. I see you sprung for a pretty hard one, actually. Some'er is tough to master, you need to know mosquito-fu pretty well.

i would say out of the box there are some crews easyer to play as others :

Easy:

Perdita,

witchhunters,

lady justice,

seamus,

rasputina,

ramos,

victorias,

lilith

middle:

Pandora (her crew ist pretty hard, but you have to think about mutch special rules so that could be hard for a beginner),

zoraida (she has a lot of bad tricks but isn´t that straight forward, and you need her dools...),

orphelia (she is quite goodf, but they are still gremlins)

hard:

Somer (you have not much points and you´ll be missing more gremlins to summen them. And after all they are gremlins... That could be frustrating)

marcus (think he is one of the weakest masters, his playstyle is realy straight forward, but you have to choose your tactics quite carefull. For people who like hit & run an fragile but fast minions... He is the man)

Leveticus, mc mourning, nicodem (you´ll just need more minis to get the best out of them)

+1

i started with Pandora and quickly found her rules to be overbearing, so i switched to Perdita and never looked back. I have Perdita, Lilith and Seamus for demo games and new players never get frustrated with these 3 masters, they are all pretty straight forward. I am adding Rasputina and the Victorias to my demo crew collection, as i think they are both very straight forward as well.

to me i would avoid leveticus and the gremlins, from a passive standpoint leveticus looks very confusing to me, and the gremlins are more of a comical force.

i started with Pandora and quickly found her rules to be overbearing, so i switched to Perdita and never looked back. I have Perdita, Lilith and Seamus for demo games and new players never get frustrated with these 3 masters, they are all pretty straight forward. I am adding Rasputina and the Victorias to my demo crew collection, as i think they are both very straight forward as well.

to me i would avoid leveticus and the gremlins, from a passive standpoint leveticus looks very confusing to me, and the gremlins are more of a comical force.

Careful with Raspy and Vikkies... they should be for intermediate demos... for games where the players have played a few, but still getting the hang of more complex activations and strategies are introduced.