Ressurectionist Painting Blog by Popg0estheworld

popg0estheworld

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another addition to my crew- Bete Noire-

20040103004.jpg

For those of who who do not own Bete Noire yet- she is not the best sculpt in the Wyrd arsenal. Her facial features are a little odd, and she is generally two dimensional. I added the detail connecting her to the base so she would look like she was billowing out of the grave, and I bent her arms a little bit to giver her a little more dimension.

greats minis. I am especially fond of how you painted the eyes. There is so much expression in them and they fit the character of the minis perfectly. Do u mind telling me how you achieve that? Which tool do you use for the pupils. I have the most difficulties just hitting the center of the eye but you seem to have no troubles putting them wherever you want :-)

greats minis. I am especially fond of how you painted the eyes. There is so much expression in them and they fit the character of the minis perfectly. Do u mind telling me how you achieve that? Which tool do you use for the pupils. I have the most difficulties just hitting the center of the eye but you seem to have no troubles putting them wherever you want :-)

Here is how I do eyes-

I paint my base flesh tone, and then shade it. Next, I take some black, thinned down a little and mixed with a little retarder, and color the whole eye with it (using an 18/0 liner brush). Once dry, I take my flesh highlight color (using white will make your minis look bug-eyed... but if you want that look, like on Sybelle, go for it) and I use my 18/0 to paint in the light part of the eye (again, mixed with a little retarder to keep it from drying too quickly) leaving the black outline very thin on the borders. Next, using my 18/0, I paint in the cornea color. Then, using a Reaper 30/0, I carefully paint in the pupil. All of this is done under a lighted magnifying glass.

I hope that is not too convoluted to help.

Do you use a specific, named technique for your painting in general?

In a word- no... but my secret lies in the use of Golden brand acrylic retarder. I mix it with just about everything but my base coats in order to extend my drying time and change my paint consistency. With a little bit of retarder added (usually mixed 1:5 retarder : paint ratio), you will find that you can blend your acrylics effortlessly. It takes a little bit of technique and practice (which is really difficult to explain), but it makes all the difference.

pop: I was seriously thinking about using the watercolor style technique until I read that. I think I might learn to use retardant before moving into that way of building up pigment.

Are there any tutorials you would suggest on using retardant?

Not that I have seen- I kind of developed my technique on my own. I will have to post a youtube video or something one of these days, because simply describing it never seems to do the trick.

Then, using a Reaper 30/0, I carefully paint in the pupil.

OMFG is that brush anything more then hardened air?

But then again you must have extremely calm hands. I'm jealous ;)

Wonderful job on Bete, I still don't like the mini itself but your painting is outstanding! The extension to the grave looks totally natural, just like it was always supposed to be there... :worship:

I'm really looking forward to your youtube-tutorial on the retarder!!!

Edited by Daniele

• 9 months later...
Greetings, all!

As I am going to be working on my new Ressurectionist force for a while, I figured I would consolidate all of my pics under one roof instead of spreading them out in a thousand threads.

As of 19 July 2011, I am just going to update the OP, as opposed to tagging onto the end of the thread, so everything is in one place- Enjoy. I took new pictures of everything too.

My Redchapel Crew-

Ressurectionists009.jpg

Seamus-

Ressurectionists019.jpg

My Nicodem Crew-

Ressurectionists011.jpg

Nicodem-

Ressurectionists013.jpg

Mortimer-

Ressurectionists017.jpg

Ressurectionists018.jpg

Vulture-

Ressurectionists020.jpg

Punk Zombies-

Ressurectionists023.jpg

Canine Remains-

Ressurectionists006.jpg

Ressurectionists008.jpg

Bete Noir-

Ressurectionists024.jpg

Convict Gunslinger-

Ressurectionists001.jpg

Ressurectionists002.jpg

Next up, McMourning and crew, along w/ Miss Pack (whom I recently got in a Collodi box)

Thanks for checking everybody out!

I updated the pics on the original post- just wanted to update any interested parties!