• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Looky what I got in the mail the other day: Miss Terious and Santana Ortega! :D

plasticmal2.jpg

plasticmal1.jpg

The plastic is harder than GW's plastic and far superior to the awful, waxy plastic that Privateer Press uses. Typically, I remove mold lines by scrapping them with the edge of a new Xacto blade. When I do so to Privateer Press plastic, the scrapped section isn't smooth, but rather it comes apart all stringy. I hate it.

The detail isn't as crisp as GW's Finecast, but then again the model isn't nearly as soft and bendy. Nor do the Wyrd plastics have all the bubbles and holes so common among GW's Fincast products. Some of the detail isn't as crisp as I'd prefer, such as the edges of belts and straps. Then again, other detail is pretty amazing, like the super fine chain links on Miss Terious' casket.

Here's the two ladies assembled. I will let you know how they paint up.

WIPMT.jpg

WIPS.jpg

The more I look at the plastics, the more I am starting to be afraid...

Santana especially looks... all soft and not-crisp.

I mean, look at the hat, belts, boots... It looks like she started to melt.

What do you think? Am I mistaken?

Part of what you are seeing may be the lighting and the quality of the photograph. Also, as I mentioned above, some of the detail isn't as sharp as I'd prefer. But, then again, I've assembled and painted quite a few Malifaux minis and it has been my experience that the fine detail on their metal models, especially the older ones, is always that great.

What's odd, is that some of the detail, like the chains and the belt buckles, is fairly crisp, while the detail on other parts of the model, like the boot straps, isn't so sharp.

With all of that said, overall, I am VERY pleased with these new minis. Clearly, Wyrd's plastics are still a work in progress and as Wyrd gains more experience, the quality of their plastics will undoubtedly improve. In the meantime, I recommend that you give the plastics a try.