Koyote's WIP Guild Crew

Koyote

It took me about an hour to make this Malifaux outhouse. I started by tracing the design onto a piece of thin cardboard. I then cut out the shapes and taped them together to form the structure. I then glued balsa 'boards' to the surface of the carboard frame. The shingles were made from the same cardboard. Easy peasy. :D

outhouseF.jpg

outhouseB.jpg

I was thinking about how to use it in the game.

Access: A single model on a 30 mm base can enter through the door.

LoS: If a model is inside the outhouse, LoS to and from that model can only be drawn from the door. A model inside the outhouse may make ranged strikes, melee strikes, and cast spells through the door.

Cover: A model inside the outhouse benefits from soft cover and receives evasive 3.

It Stinks in Here: While inside the outhouse, a Living model receives a negative twist to all Will Power duels.

Edited by Koyote

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my carts from a seller on eBay. Since the cart plays no role in the game, when you can find them they are not that expensive. This despite the fact that the carts are OOP.

Search eBay for "Skull Pass Cart" or "Dwarf Cart Warhammer" or some variant.

I just searched eBay and found a seller in the UK selling 2 carts with a 'Buy It Now' price of $5.50 for each cart.

They are still in production, the one you have is not the one from skull pass but the one from the miner set. I had to paint a unit when I worked for GW. you get one per sprue so I think you get 2 in a 10 man box.

You also get tonnes of sticks of dynamite so you can make Line in the Sand counters, some nice tools.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m380351_sprue_front.jpg

Ratty, thanks for pointing that out. I have a friend who plays Dwarves. I should see if he has used all of his spare miner bits. If not, they I can use them as props for a mining shack.

Also thanks for the Card Creator. I used it to create a card for my Rogue Necromancy. You rock! :rock:

I love the hirst arts sets. Are you using Smooth on too? If so are you using a mold release and baby powder or are you casting them from the mold directly?

Loving the buildings! One thing you may want to look at, instead of using a straw for the piping, cheapo plastic tubing sometimes works better. I have had fits with painting straws even when I mix a light adhesive in with the paint (like Elmer's glue).

I love the hirst arts sets. Are you using Smooth on too? If so are you using a mold release and baby powder or are you casting them from the mold directly?

Sorry, I didn't cast the pieces, a friend of mine did.

One thing you may want to look at, instead of using a straw for the piping, cheapo plastic tubing sometimes works better. I have had fits with painting straws even when I mix a light adhesive in with the paint (like Elmer's glue).
Thanks for the tip. :top:

This little cemetery provides a bit of cover for models located behind the headstones, plus it works nicely for the Special Terrain feature: Graveyard.

I placed the headstone in such a way that a 30 mm base will fit between the rows. Also, there are three locations where a 40 mm base can squeeze in.

zombiesmilie-1.gif

graveyard1.jpg

Edited by Koyote

I've made some good progress on some wilderness/shanty town terrain, so I thought I'd try my hand at some urban/ruins terrain. Again, what I've done isn't anything fancy, but I am pleased with how it looks so far.

The corner pieces are from the ubiquitous 40K ruins kit. The 'tiled floor' was taken from the GW Fantasy movement tray kit.

Most of the floor space is clear of debri and what debri I included isn't piled too high. This along with wide open space between the walls facilitates access and placement of models. Huge mounds of rubble may look more realistic, but it isn't always easy to balance models upon.

For this ruined church, I did not include the raised floor sections that come with the kit. This gives models full access to the floor space.

The circular mural on the wall is a bit from one of the Fantasy building kits.

ruinsa1.jpg

ruinsa2.jpg

For this section of ruins, I used one of the raised floor sections, but I glued it in place 2 inches above the floor (1 inch higher than normal). This allows most models access beneath the raised floor and raises the second floor to height 2. It also allows for the placement of models up against the wall and thus completely obscured from models on the other side of the solid wall sections.

ruinsb1.jpg

ruinsb2.jpg

Like most of the terrain I've built for Malifaux so far, these pieces are relatively small. I've kept them small to offset the abilities of certain models, like Rasputina and the Waldgeist, to radically manipulate terrain pieces.

I needed terrain for the Special Terrain features: Dead Zone, Magic Nexus, and Pool of Aether. Since each is connected to magic in some way, I reasoned that one piece of terrain could be used for all three.

This is what I came up with: a monument to The Grave Spirit.

deadzone.jpg

deadzone2.jpg

In hindsight, I can probably use it for the Ancient Monument feature as well, just so long as I measure distance from the tiled base.

The robed model is The Necromancer from Citadel's 1980s Middle Earth model range. The model's right hand use to hold a Palantir, but I removed it years ago. I don't even remember why now. The hour glass is from the GW plastic Empire Wizard kit. The piles of skulls are from the GW skull pack. The tiled base, is from the Fantasy movement tray kit.

The base is a bit bigger than it needs to be, but since two of the features require a model's base to be completely within the terrain feature, I didn't want to discriminate against models on 40s or 50s. It's also a bit plain, but once I paint it and put in clumps of static grass, it should look quite nice.

Looking at the photo, I should probably cut some nicks in the edges of the tile to make it look look older. The GW burning candle bits may also look nice on the base.

Edited by Koyote

Rustle, rustle and snickity snack,

The Carver strikes once and then strikes back.

Slice, dice and guts a-twist,

The Carver cannot be stopped. Not by kick or fist.

Tremble, quiver and try to hide,

The Carver will find you. Your escape, denied.

The Carver Strikes At Midnight is one of Wyrd's 2010 Halloween Story Encounters.

I love creepy scarecrow imagery!

Too bad Wyrd doesn't make this model. If it were available, I'd build a Neverborn crew just to field it.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i200/10011970/TheCarver.jpg

I have made a Carver mini that I'm pretty proud of.

I am really enjoying your conversions and terrain. please, keep it up! The original Niño sculp was a pretty cool find, too!What other plans do you have for the future?

Thanks Haku. Your Carver is awesome. I remember seeing WIP pics of it in another thread.

My local game store has closed, so I've lost a place to play and the terrain I was playing with. Consequently, I've delayed painting my crews in order to create enough terrain so wherever I go from here, I do not have to rely on anyone else for terrain.

I've already built a third set of ruins, like the ones above. In the near future I plan to build another shack, 3 small forests, a pond, a Guild office, and a gallows. I also need to make terrain that can be used for the Special Terrain features: Scrap Pile, Soulstone Vein, Hazardous Terrain, and a Campsite.

Edited by Koyote

Voila! The Special Terrain feature: Campsite.

campsite.jpg

The Campsite is supposed to be a piece of severe terrain, so a designed it to be a bit cluttered. There are places where a 30 mm base will lie flat, but not too many.

Since it's a miner's camp, I figure it can serve as the Special Terrain feature Soulstone Vein as well. Rather than digging up soulstones, the models spend their action points rifling through the miner's camp, looking for his hidden caches. The Soulstone Vein is supposed to be a maximum size of 2" x 2", however, the tent and chests take up a lot of room, so the places where a model can be "completely within the Soulstone Vein" are restricted to an area smaller than the base of this terrain piece.

My one Black Friday purchase was this Tent & Campfire from the Mega Miniatures Dungeon Decor model line. I got a great deal that I couldn't pass it up. The chest, crate, and bag are Hirst molds. The tree came from the GW Walls & Fences kit. The pick is from an OOP IG vehicle upgrade kit. The lantern and skull are also from GW kits.

Edited by Koyote

Wow, your imagination and skills are probably mached only by the size of your bits box ;)

The lesson here is to never throw bits away. Moreover, if a friend offers you his leftover bits or you get an opportunity to buy extras dirt cheap, snatch those bits up -even if you don't have a current or foreseeable use for them.

Special Terrain feature: Hazardous Terrain (Toxic Pool).

toxic.jpg

Some WIP terrain features photograph better than others. The green in the pool is actually closer to a forest green in color. Plus the light spots aren't really that light. Also, it's hard to tell, but shiny lump in the foreground is a horse skull from a GW Ogre Kingdoms Butcher kit. Once painted, the black pipe will be rusted metal in color. I still have to put another layer or two of Water Effects on the pool before the rest is ready for painting.