What would you like to see?

shawnreed343

Well, Malifaux is inspiring to me. I've actually never written fanfiction or for a pre-prepared world before deciding to do something for Malifaux just the other day. But writing for something already established is a unique challenge. It's perhaps not so bad when not a lot has yet been established in cannon, but wondering what liberties are allowable (and won't piss off fans) is certainly a question in a writer's mind when tackling something with a fanbase.

Thing is, I'm actually interested in tackling this challenge. I'm almost completely new to the game, but already find myself involved and invested.

Still- I feel that I'd like to probe a bit before continuing: what do the fans think? Should I pursue a viewpoint involving original characters in the Malifaux setting with occasional known characters popping in, or should I stick with what's established regarding characters and liberties?

After finishing up another part of my own fanfiction (I never did like that word. Too many negative connotations attached.) I'd say go for original characters with a sprinkling of known characters appearing - after all, Malifaux is a character driven game, and how could we do this idea more justice than by creating our own personas (personai?) and agendas?

I've played a demo game so far, using Rasputina against Pandora. It was entertaining- my opponent was using Teddy instead of Woes. I'd been mostly unsuccessfully trying to nuke my opponent through the golem most of the game and managed to take out Candy and Kade late game, but not before losing the gamins. So then my opponent takes down the golem and all I have left is Rasputina. Then that turn, I get a severe hit with my AOE and off Pandora and his Poltergeist and damaging Teddy. Pop off my 0 spell successfully on both initial and free recast bringing him down to 1, then unsuccessfully try to nuke him for the win. He activates, comes up and flurries, I spend some soulstones to negate chunks of damage. Last turn, he wins initiative and it's game. I probably would have had it, otherwise. :)

Anyway- I like the idea about injecting your own original ideas. Like, I know with Warmachine/Hordes they've had 'fan made caster' tournies~ I figured hey, maybe I could off-the-cuff my own Master for Malifaux. And tell an actual story (in steps) rather than a small little section. I'm one of those people who does not believe that an action sequence a good story makes. On the other hand, a story without action can be lackluster sometimes. So I hope y'all might join me with my Journal of Farrahn Moriaden. :)

Anyway- I like the idea about injecting your own original ideas. Like, I know with Warmachine/Hordes they've had 'fan made caster' tournies~ I figured hey, maybe I could off-the-cuff my own Master for Malifaux. And tell an actual story (in steps) rather than a small little section. I'm one of those people who does not believe that an action sequence a good story makes. On the other hand, a story without action can be lackluster sometimes. So I hope y'all might join me with my Journal of Farrahn Moriaden. :)

RE: Demo game - sounds like you had fun. Why not try beginning your own crew.

As for the 'fan-made' character/Master, why not? At the very elast you8 gain the adorration of readers, like myself. At the very best you end up with a side-project, being paid by Nathan and Eric, and help the world you enjoy grow... who knows, perhaps you may invent the next Henchman or Master... ohh, Henchman/Merc sounds good... that way everyone has the opportunity to love it, not faction-specific!

:D Couldn't bring my own crew because I don't have one yet. XD I was told about the demo and given the URL for this website, and like a smart lil' fanboy I decided I wanted to read up and decide what I wanted to start with before selecting my first box. I really like the Witchhunters, especially considering I see already I'll go up against Pandora and Rasputina part of the time. I also really like Rasputina and if I get more any time soon it's either 'Tina or the Ortegas.

:D Inspirational thoughts!! You know, maybe that would be worth the thought- having a 'create a Master/minion' contest of some sort. It would definately spark one heck of a group creative spurt. And I like the idea of best case scenario, though I'm quite happy with worst. ;)