Tactica: Kirai

pigi314159

Nice write up. It's helped me a lot.

I just got into this game, and picked up this box set. So I have some questions, the problem is that I only remember one of them at the moment.

For Spirit Anchor, she gets a brand new seishin (so long as it isn't over the rare limit), or does one already in play get placed into base contact with her?

Brand new fresh out of the box. For the most part the Seishin can just auto base to base with her at the end of any models activation.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any one happen to find any spirts out side of the normal models available to her that are of any use. Jack daw is ok and primordial magic makes a decent casting totem but lost love is better. I cant find any other spirits that seam worth fielding. Any one else try any that they find to be usefull?

Brand new fresh out of the box. For the most part the Seishin can just auto base to base with her at the end of any models activation.

Thanks, it seemed like one of those Too Good to be True deals so I wanted to make sure about.

I remembered the second question: They get to activate normally the turn they're put into play correct, and don't suffer the summon penalty because they never were summoned?

Any one happen to find any spirts out side of the normal models available to her that are of any use. Jack daw is ok and primordial magic makes a decent casting totem but lost love is better. I cant find any other spirits that seam worth fielding. Any one else try any that they find to be usefull?

This is relevant to me, because there's going to be a "tournament" in a week and I'm wondering what other spirits, that currently have models, would also work with her.

Its also good when you get to the point in the game where going before the other side becomes very important. I find later in the game I cant burn actions to give +2 cb to my spirits and end up with a few that have not done any thing at the end of the round. Nothing wrong with having them make a charge as they just go back to Kirai.

rdana]The basic plan is move one pull rest forward. Activate the next one so on and so forth. With 5 of them you can park your self on the other side of the table and this has 0 chance of failure as none of the actions have any casting failures to mess up the plan. Once on the other side Activate Kirai. Cast in the spirit world and Jump her up 18". Once your 2 foot across the board on turn 1 summon up a pair of shikome who have no slow to show the opposing crew some loving. I would recommend if you try this trick to make sure you have taken the lost love totem to keep Kirai alive as she will be very low on wounds after this.

Kirai has to be able to make it into base contact with a spirit in order for her to move with "into the spirit world". She can't just move closer to a spirit that she can't make base contact with and her spell is only technically 18" range.

I am aware of that.

Sending her up 18 inch next to one of the spirits sac them and putting out summons 6 in makes 24. The shikome gets a free walk for another 6. 30 inch move in one turn and you can still attack.

Granted this is more of a perfect storm and you need a mask plus need to summon so might need to burn a ss/card to make the summon go off.

Still the night terrors ability to fly across the table is very powerful even if the mobs them selves are not. Even if you don't get a mask for in spirit world this can have many uses to get mobs in position. I have done a few objectives first turn with this. The combat ability on these guys even at 3 soul stones is very weak. They all end up eating it to summons or getting killed when I play with them.

The way I look at is is for 3 ss I can have some very nice movement and when they die I get a 2 ss mob from the 3 ss mob.

Next up to work on is our new rider. Hard to wound 2, spirit(Lost love) with regen 1 and very solid combat yes please. :) Oh and a 0 action to heal 2 wounds every round.

I bought one pack and have played many games with NP I start with 3. Now and again I proxy one. That being said I would get 2packs you want 5 of them. IMHO any one who wont let you proxy out side of a tournament is just being a jerk. In a tournament you need to make sure you have all 5.

She's an interesting resser, that's for sure. I picked her up, but I'll need to be be trickier with my list building. It's easy for your opponent to pick a good counter for kirai if they know you can only play her (what? Kirai? i guess my rasputina list is gonna be all casting then!) so I'll be much more comfortable with her once I can pick my Nicodem up from home and keep opponents guessing a little bit more.

That said, I do like her style. She likes big, dramatic maneuvers and risky surgical kills, and its refreshing after playing a jackhammer like Nicodem for so long. That Ikiryo is so much fun to have fly out of the ground 12" away from you and scare the living crap out of a convict gunslinger.

Also, she's got a lot of versitility in terms of units. I'd like to see this tactica include a few notes on tactics with the Hanged, Night Terrors, Snowstorm. Yes, you can take snowstorm. Yes, it does kick ass when you can heal it as easy as Kirai can. Best thing against a swarm army. That's my one plug for a spirit outside her basic models. that thing is so hard to kill with Kirai, especially with Kirai and a Datsue ba. It's expensive, and at best it can only nominate one of your models as frozen heart, but it can do some interesting things like freeze heart an enemy and pull them close then just rip them up with claws, or engage them short range with all those blasts....

Edited by shekbo

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten a lot games with her in lately. however, i'm new so i dont really know what input would be helpful. I've got a few additional questions about her:

For spirit sheath, what constitutes an attack? this is a big newbie question on my part. i'm assuming it's anything that has me resist (melee, ranged, spell)? i'm probably wrong. EDIT: nevermind, i checked the faq.

For in the spirit world, what happens first, the gaining of spirit or the push, or can this go either way?

General question, is anyone else finding that games go on for a while with her? she seems pretty relentless.

Edited by ADS627
found what i was looking for in the FAQ

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've played my second game of Malifaux and used Kirai. It was a 25 SS match where I had Kirai, Lost Soul, 2 Seishin, the old hag and 2 Onryo. Although in the later part of the game I saw her power, I had a very rough start... My opponent was using Colette and had treasure hunt, also, one of his schemes was the not getting to his deployment zone one and one of mine was getting there, so I had to go on the offensive.

My problem was my spirits leaving Kirai waaaaaaay behind for the first 2 turns (I didn't get any masks and didn't manage to cast the Kirai spirit spell). Basically, the wisdom I'm hoping to get is how you compensate for this. Do you keep your forces advancing slower or just double move with Kirai? When I finally managed to get close to the action, things went a lot better, but those 2 turns really hurt.

Well, I've played my second game of Malifaux and used Kirai. It was a 25 SS match where I had Kirai, Lost Soul, 2 Seishin, the old hag and 2 Onryo. Although in the later part of the game I saw her power, I had a very rough start... My opponent was using Collete and had treasure hunt, also, one of his schemes was the not getting to his deployment zone one and one of mine was getting there, so I had to go on the offensive.

My problem was my spirits leaving Kirai waaaaaaay behind for the first 2 turns (I didn't get any masks and didn't manage to cast the Kirai spirit spell). Basically, the wisdom I'm hoping to get is how you compensate for this. Do you keep your forces advancing slower or just double move with Kirai? When I finally managed to get close to the action, things went a lot better, but those 2 turns really hurt.

You shouldn't need to worry to much about speeding across the board early on if you don't get the cards. You can easily get a model up to 20" away from kirai on the last turn, even more if you have Shikone or Night Terrors at that point (Summon Gaki within 12" for 2 life, then Swirling Spirit your fastest model into the position the Gaki is in and activate 2 moves in a row) So all you need to do is make sure your close enough by that point.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, played my second game with her and I'm starting to get the hang of her. I also got dealt better cards and could do become a spirit the first 2 turns with ease to get me where needed. Faced of Rasputina who made a mockery of my spirits (the frozen heart 1 damage buff from the constructs made her oneshot some Onryo) though she took heavy damage from the vengeance hits. I also learned how to use the aura and aoe protection from the seishin and using soulstones to reduce damage, crucial after I fumbled a turn and almost had Kirai die to massive cyclone spam.

What I'm now noticing is how I want to do a million things with Kirai but have to focus on something because of the number of actions. At the moment, invoking the Ikirio and Onrio are my workhorses. I am quickly getting very attached to them and don't really see that much of a need to go the extra mile to invoke Shikome unless I really need her 2 attacks the turn she comes in.

The Datsue Ba is useful even if only for spamming sooth spirit along with the True Love, though I'm thinking I should try to be more agressive with him and channel Kirai's debuff trough him and then teleport to her side since he doesn't really seem to do much except heal when I have a hand that will allow it. Also noticing how huge freedom of movement is (though going into the forest with 3 models vs Rasputina was not the best idea...

I'm really liking how she plays and at the moment I'm happy at 30SS with 3 Onrio, 2 seishin, lost love and Datsue Ba. Though now is when I look at the veterans and ask if this is a solid core or should I spice it up?

I played last night witht he following 30 SS list.

Lost love (2)

3 Seishin (6)

2 Onryo (10)

Datsue-Ba (7)

8 SS Cache

I was playing against the Vick twins with Misaki and Taylor and 2 Ronin. (Damn Magical weapons!)

She is fun! Coming from McMizzle, totally different type of master. Not a beatstick, more of a selfloather(Cutter) that feeds on death.

Onryo are great grunts. they shoot/melee at cb5 and have fate+2 damage triggers on each attack with a tome and crow respectively. Plus, these models are so friggin cool! I really hope WYRD sculpts another set of these Onryo models, they are gorgeous! and I'll most likely have more than two on the board at the same time. I summon these with evolve spirit adn did that on turn 1. they dropped pretty quick with all the magic weapons on the otehr team but I kept them close, and just got seishin when they fell so thats all good.

Datsue-Ba: Awesome. I didn't realy get him going that much on offense till later, but I sure ruined my opponents plan a few times. No escape to cross the board, and then Denial of Sanzue really stuck a Vick out in the middle of the board after he pulled one way up with one of their tricks. I was able to summon a Gaki with his spell, but will have to get more practice with him and learn his tactica bit more.

All in all, I had a bit of an adjustment in play style from the punk zombies/McMizzle bursting melee damage potential. I found the summoning much different and that felt much more of tetoring scale with a more delicate line that neede to be walked carefully. I loved the movement capabilites/denails this crew has.

I'd like to try a Night Terror in the mix to fly in and debuff everything in darkness while the Onryo blast from range. Also, I think including a canine remaines would be cool and try to sneak up and give a model Rabies(-2wp) for the rest of the game. Plus, if it dies within 8" of her, it just transfers into a 2 SS seshin wash anyway.

I'm very excited to have a new master and start playing with a new bag of tricks.

Little question, is there any reason you can think of which means I can't take a stolen in my crew. I really like the idea of taking him against small elite forces which have insignificant models, like Pandora. Swirling him into range of a hard to kill model and exploding it to make the model insignificant could really cut down on the number of objective scoring models they have on the board. Also the -2 Wp pulse has a good synergy with Onryo.