GenCon updates!

theHman

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so it is basically Malifaux 2e, +new army books in the case of the new ressurectionists, arcanists and mercs, and hopefully campaign rules.

It has nothing to do with 2nd edition Malifaux. It IS completely new models for EVERY faction, and new rules for henchmen, strategies, schemes, and setup.

You NEED book 1 for the core rules. Again this is not 2e.

It has nothing to do with 2nd edition Malifaux. It IS completely new models for EVERY faction, and new rules for henchmen, strategies, schemes, and setup.

You NEED book 1 for the core rules. Again this is not 2e.

I agree. A second Ed rulebook would replace, not complement book 1.

If it were a second edition, all errata would be integrated in the new rules and it would have rehashed every current faction and character, making all other print sources obsolete, like d&d, warmachine mk2, and what Age of Ragnarok did to ruin Confrontation 3.5. (gawd I hope wyrd never tries to pull that one off with Malifaux...)

Mark my words sooner or later they will put of a 2.0 its not yet but it will happen. There is 16 pages or so of errata some of us would like a revamped version of the book to update all the changes so I don't have to carry a sub book of adjustments to the main book. That being said I am glad they provide constant quick updates to improve the game and make it clear

To echo what others have said, GenCon was great, unfortunately our hotel was on the 465 loop which made it difficult to get much gaming in. I got some small conversations with Nathan, Eric and gang, and it is always great talking with those guys. I only spotted the elusive Keltheos a few times, seems like we were always crossing paths going the other way, heh.

You guys will love the fluff, very good stuff, and there are some very nice additions to existing masters, as well as the new masters/crews. I don't want to get too specific, but Rasputina made out well, as did the Outcasts and Neverborn. Don't play Ress too much, but their new stuff is amazing. Now I just need to patiently await my new Guild. :)

Hey guys, wow, this thread blew up since we first started it. It's been a fast four days that's for sure. The lack of sleep and over abundance of excitement has been pretty draining. Definetly worth it.

Meeting the Wyrd staff was a terrific experience. One of the reasons Malifaux is so successful is their commitment to customer service. They really respect their fans and took plenty of time to humor us both. And man, do these guys love Malifaux.

So, now that I have a few minutes to breath and relax, it's time to torture you all that don't have access to book 2 yet. Here's some pics I managed to snag of book 2.

New Characteristics:

103_0001.JPG

Here's a look at the tables (yes, plural!) for encounters:

103_0002.JPG

The new Guild master C. Hoffman. He's a very interesting master and has some interesting choices that he can take. There's also a Neverborn model that he can take at no additional cost via "Unexplained Connection.":

103_0003.JPG

So we all saw the spoiler pic of the Mechanical rider, here's the Death Rider. Could we be seeing the four horsemen of Malifaux assembling?:

103_0004.JPG

Artwork for the Sonwstorm. This thing is scary! And at 11 SS it better be. :

103_0005.JPG

The Arcanist Henchmen Kaeris. She likes fire...a lot. And what a beautiful model this will be.:

103_0006.JPG

The Soulstone miner. Hman is already telling me the evil he's going to perpetrate upon me with this beastly creation.:

103_0007.JPG

Collodi, the Neverborn henchman. He's a puppet that controls puppets that eat children, what's not to love there?:

103_0008.JPG

Ok, I'm a Neverborn lover plain and simple. Lillith quickly became my favorite master (The Dreamer has maybe edged her out). I love her play style and I love the Nephilim. Well, this one is for all you Neverborn lovers, Lillith's big (Ht 3 50mm base!!) sister Nekima, the dark sibling. Piss yourself mortals!:

103_0009.JPG

So my second favorite master has got to Leveticus. Here is something called Ash and Dust, and that's all I'm going to say...:

103_0010.JPG

In the Last Scrap tournament on Saturday gremlins captured third place (third place was still someone who went undefeated). The new Henchman Ophelia is awesome. If you even think you like gremlins, wait til you see book 2...oh my god. They have ten pages dedicated to new gremlin units. Here's some cool artwork depicting a rampant gremlin horde:

103_0012.JPG

Eric and Nathan are some of the nicest people out there and humored us by signing our Dreamer and Lord Chompy Bits cards. Massively cool guys, thank you!:

103_0015.JPG

Sorry for lack of updates everyone, it's been a crazy past couple of days staying up waaaaay later than we should have. =)

To answer the questions some of you guys have asked:

@blkdymnd: Yes, Rasputina gets a couple of new goodies to play with called the "silent one" and "snow storm"

The silent one is a 6SS and snow storm is 11SS!

And yes, they are both awesome. Doubt you'll be disappointed.

To expand on your answer, Wyrd has very craftilly added to each faction and sub-faction. So no matter who you play, you've got some new goodies.

@Blank: Does levi get new toys?

Does he ever! He can take just about every cool new toy from every faction.

The biggest problem that Levi players will have is choosing what to use. There is just so much awesomeness in each faction to play with.

@dakrulz55: The "Ashes and Dust" minion is really hard to describe, essentially it's like a posessed machine with lightning claws (40k reference). See the pics that EA just posted above.

Oh, and he costs 13SS! Be afraid, be very very afraid.

@hpsoundwave: No, it is not a 2nd Ed of Malifaux. Just as someone mentioned, you still need the core 'faux book to play.

This is just an additional sourcebook adding new minions, scenarios, strategies, and a few new rules.

However, that being said, there is a section that updates and clarifies some of the rules from book 1.

@Amishluvah: sadly no, there are no campaign rules in the book that I've seen thumbing through it.

yeah, I'm bummed too. But then you look at all the awesomeness and you'll be okay. =)

Hopefully they'll create some campaign rules for book 3 next year. Fingers crossed.

Okay, on to some more cool stuff from Wyrd at GenCon.

1. I found this in another thread here, but just in case you haven't seen it, Puppet Wars is full steam ahead!

Click here to take a peek courtesy of the Bell of Lost Souls.

2. Expect an insanely delicious and exciting schedule of new mini releases over the next 12 months.

Speaking with Eric, he mentioned that Von Schill the new Outcast mercenary Henchman is expected to be released around October/November.

Ressurrectionists around the world will be crying and running the other way. He and his team are undead hunting masters and will put a major damper on their parties.

He's like Van Helsing/Blade on 'roids.

3. Speaking of new mini updates...

Today I scored an in person view of the new Neverborn "Coppellius" minion who was sitting on their painters (Who by the way is extremely talented!) table.

Plus I also spied at the very bottom of the Wyrd mini case, a painted "stitched together" minion.

He looks just like Mr. Oogey Boogeyman from the movie Nightmare before Christmas but with meat hooks for hands. Sadly no pics. =(

4. Gremlin fans are gonna go "hog wild" over all the new piggies and goodies they get.

Things like the Pigapult which allow you to launch piglets and gremlins all over the place with reckless abandon and deadly results.

Plus the new slop hauler which can help heal nearby friendly gremlins. Not to mention Ophelia who turns nearby gremlins into insanely scary and effective units.

5. Marcus fans will also not be disappointed as each faction (I believe) has at least 1 new minion with the beast classification.

For example:

- The guild have a new minion called the "Lawyer, secretary's aide" who has the beast classification.

- There are 3 new beasts found in the Resurrectionists section alone! They are (1) Night Terror, (2) the Shikome (which is like a Harpy from classical greek mythology), and (3) the Rogue Necromancy which is essentially an undead Chimera who costs 10SS and will rip your face off in the blink of an eye.

Those of you who run Marcus/Myranda are definitely gonna love book 2.

6. For Arcanist players are getting some very heavy (and much needed) firepower added to the force by way of the "Gunsmith".

Plus, thanks to a number of new minions and henchmen, you'll be able to create a whole slew of new soulstones while in game for your master to burn up and blow your opponent away from the table.

6a. Ramos players (like myself) are getting a brand new totem which I suspect will replace the Brass Arachnid as the "go to totem" b/c it makes Ramos exponentially better at casting ALL of his spells.

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

7. Hamelin gets a bunch of cool awesome stuff.

In case you haven't heard, Hamelin is now an outcast Master, although you are free to run him as either your master, or as a minion (using his book 1 rules).

Hamelin's totem (the Obedient Wretch) allows you to draw 1 control card a turn as a (1) action!

8. Now I know a lot of people are afraid that book 2 will replace or make book 1 masters/minions obsolete.

You'll be very glad to know that even with all the cool new stuff found in this new supplement, Masters and crews chosen entirely from book 1 are still viable and competitive.

For example, in the Last Scrap tourny, 1st and 2nd place were taken by Leveticus and Lilith respectively. With 3rd place going to Ophelia.

Sadly I finished middle of the pack due to an unhealthy amount of bad flips and bad control hands. Oh well, such is fate. Of course, there's always next year...

9. On a completely different note, I met a girl who was dressed up exactly like Colette and just as beautiful!

I did get a pic of her with my phone which I'll try and upload in the next few days if I can figure out how to do that when I get home.

The funny part was that she wasn't affiliated with Wyrd in any shape or form, she just enjoys dressing up in Victorian style outfits. Absolutely no complaints from me (or any of the 28,000 GenConers who saw her either)!

SUMMARY:

Okay, I'm gonna stop now b/c there's just too much to talk about and I feel like I've probably already said more than I should have.

Hopefully Nathan won't delete this post, and will forget who I am so I don't suffer any retaliation for reporting all this... ;)

Essentially, if you enjoy playing malifaux and are looking to "kick it up a notch", you will not be disappointed with book 2 even though it's not mandatory in order to continue playing and enjoying the game.

theHman.

P.S. It was great to meet all the Wyrd Henchmen and 'faux players alike at the Con. Hopefully I'll see you guys again next year.

Oops, totally forget to give a shout out to Nathan and Eric for autographing my Dreamer/Chompy cards. Much appreciated!

Also, big shout out and kudos to Weird Sketch for running all the 'faux tournaments. EA and I both had a blast playing and can't wait for next years new format you told us about.

... you are a god. Thank you for the paragraph on Special Forces doll, M&SU members and pictures of Hoffman, Collodi and the Ash and Dust. Gah, constructs everywhere, must... resist...

Edit: Also, gunsmith and new Ramos totem....? Gah, I've only just started and already I want a ridiculous amount more. Blasted constructs! I must have them.

Edited by Geckilian

man... i wanted to go back this weekend. I was there thursday, but i decided my "grown up life" had to come first a little bit this weekend. =[

thanks for this post though. the pics of the puppet wars mini's are awesome. i would be tempted to use them to proxy, as they are quite adorable.

I must say, "Ashes and Dust" does not look like I'd expected. If Wyrd pull this mini off then, well, I dunno, they should get a nobel prize or something!

Cheers for the reports guys, I've just spent the last couple of days trying to convince my g/f that's she'd love to go to Indiana for a holiday around this time next year....

I really hate to say it, but that "soulstone miner" already exists......

http://www.artemisblacks.com/darkage/images/skarrd/DAG3024%20Drillheads%20-%20DA.jpg

Ordered my book and Kirai box the other day, only two weeks 'til they hit the UK.....

2 goddamn weeks!

Desolation Engine + Powerthirst = FIST!

Sorry for the double post, just noticed this.

400 BABIES!

And kick mother nature in the face with your energy legs!

well all powerthirst aside I do feel that if they pull ashes to dust off Ill be mindblowingly impressed are they gonna have to use a clear plastic or ate they chained to the outside im unsure but it does look awesome

Ha I figured out the connection between Hoffman and Coppellius you sneaky sneakies your tricky Wyrd very creative, all of you that want a connection to explain the "unexplianed connection" rule Follow the Google brick road. Coppellius is the sand man, from germanic folk tales popularized in E.T.A HOFFMANN's works, pretty sneaky Wyrd I love It, I only wonder if there is a fluff connection to follow suit.

And kick mother nature in the face with your energy legs!

well all powerthirst aside I do feel that if they pull ashes to dust off Ill be mindblowingly impressed are they gonna have to use a clear plastic or ate they chained to the outside im unsure but it does look awesome

No clear plastic! Please no please no no no!!!! NNNNOOOOO!!!!!!

I am just waiting for the little e-mail that says "your fedex tracking number is" and I will have my book. Then on labor day weekend I am driving out to the warstore and buying so much wyrd that they'll have to place a major order with nathan.

I can wait on things. Been waiting on SC 2 for 12 years, now I am just waiting on a war chest with all three campaigns. The waiting makes the receiving all the more sweeter.