Painting the Dreamer & LCB journal

EricJ

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, update for today. As requested, an accounting of the paints I'm using. All Paints of P3.

Basecoat of Greatcoat Grey

Shadows of Thamar Black

Highlight of Hammerfall Khaki

Final highlight of Morrow White

So yes, this technique goes from pure black to pure white, blended in a rather short amount of space.

For the flames on the foot, I've used Exile blue highlighted with increasing mix of white.

Here's the shot!

LCB-paint-2.jpg

*drool* You're really not making this easy. :(

lol....I am sending over $200 to Gencon with a friend to the Wyrd booth and nothing else....and that was after removing stuff from my list of to buys....

If I had the money to spend, I'd be blowing a few hundred dollars on Wyrd stuff. ;) However, I just built a new PC and bought a new 40" LED Monitor... so spending cash is a bit low right now.

He's actually quite hunched, perhaps that shot doesn't show it as it's front on. Truth be told, he's even more leaning forward than you see in this shot, because I actually liked him standing up a bit more, so I bent his legs back a little to get him more upright.
That's an odd decision. Isn't this model you're painting supposed to end up being the official paintjob? In which case the official paintjob wouldn't be that of the stock model?

Anyway, I don't think the model is nearly as threatening and powerful looking than the concept suggested. Something is just missing. However I love to see your step by step painting, that dark skintone is pretty amazing. Thanks for sharing.

That's an odd decision. Isn't this model you're painting supposed to end up being the official paintjob? In which case the official paintjob wouldn't be that of the stock model?

Anyway, I don't think the model is nearly as threatening and powerful looking than the concept suggested. Something is just missing. However I love to see your step by step painting, that dark skintone is pretty amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Actually, Eric's paint job is not going to be the official paint job. As such he was free to do what ever he wanted with it.

This is just an excuse for Eric to actually paint again. Which is something he rarely gets to do.

Also consider this: None of the pictures are high quality posed and angled pictures. As such they don't reflect the same pose as the concept art. The green closely resembled the pose. However, the angle of the shots of the green matched the angle of the concept art. So I imagine your problems with the piece stem from a lack in Eric's posing with the WIP photos as opposed to an actual problem with the piece.

Edited by TheBugKing

Also consider this: None of the pictures are high quality posed and angled pictures. As such they don't reflect the same pose as the concept art. The green closely resembled the pose. However, the angle of the shots of the green matched the angle of the concept art. So I imagine your problems with the piece stem from a lack in Eric's posing with the WIP photos as opposed to an actual problem with the piece.

If you feed them, they only get bigger.

I'm still trying to justify the price to myself but I really like this model... Having an LCB with The Dreamer on its shoulder is awesome.

I'm still trying to justify the price to myself but I really like this model... Having an LCB with The Dreamer on its shoulder is awesome.

Yeah, I know. It's just aggravating is all.

As for LCB with the dreamer on his shoulder, I know what you mean. It really is awesome I think. So nicely reflects the model too.

I'll be getting one for sure. (I think I said that already though...)

Actually, Eric's paint job is not going to be the official paint job. As such he was free to do what ever he wanted with it.
Cool, thanks for the clarification.

The green closely resembled the pose. However, the angle of the shots of the green matched the angle of the concept art. So I imagine your problems with the piece stem from a lack in Eric's posing with the WIP photos as opposed to an actual problem with the piece.
That's quite possible, I haven't seen that green you're talking about (is it publicly available?). This is a good thing as I am excited about this model but a little disappointed by the wip shots (as far as the sculpt goes -- the paint job is top notch).

Does that comment pertain to my post?

Sorry about the delays on the painting journal everyone, I tweaked my back the other day doing housework which has made sitting and painting a bit hard/painful. On the bright side this morning things seem a lot better, and I'm eager to get back behind the brush! :)