Kirai

dboeren

So, two new Masters have had their stat cards posted so far. I'm not sure if you're waiting on us for anything, but on behalf of the community it's OK if you want to go ahead and post Kirai now. Just saying... :)

Being that Gencon starts on Thursday, I wouldn't expect anything from Wyrd until well after Monday(8/9).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirai was going to be the next faction that I was going to get at GenCon. Just love all those sculpts.

And then Nathan and Eric released info on Colette and, well darn it, how can I leave my main man Ramos all alone?

So I'm gonna pass on Kirai for the moment and grow my Arcanist crew to Brawl size.

I am really torn between on who to get right now, I saw Kirai and instantly fell in love with the box set for her " she reminds me of all the Grudge movies" then I see the neverborns new one mr Lord Chompy Bits. and imlike woah thats awsome. but then i see the outcast has Hamilin becoming a master as well and he sparks my intrest. but i think for right now I will go for Kirai for starting off on the ressurection crews. i originally started playing with sonia creid from the guild because i thought she was bad ass. but now the got new femm fatals coming out and Kirai just stands out to me as just awsome. Hope to hear more about her in a ew more days on how she plays, and what to expect out of her as well as what works the bestin crew builds. im sure alot of people will be doin the proxy thing with her. anyways glad the ress got a awsome female character to play spirit hell on every one.

There are plenty of spirits in book 2 that she works wonderfully with. Gaki, Onryo, Shikome are all summonable. She also summons Ikiryo and Seishin (they those two are kind of special in what they do/how they are summoned). There is one more spirit that is in the rezzer list, and then a couple from the other factions in book 2 as well.

But yea...in general...she likes spirits much more than things with flesh. Plus...her totem can transform her into a spirit given the right conditions. (There was a spoiler for you.)

Boy, kind of light on the spoilers in here.

You've seen Kirai's card, so I don't need to cover that.

Ikiryo is Kirai's own spirit. It's HER, just her spirit has manifested separately from her body. Can't buy it in your list, only summon it with the Summon Ikiryo spell. She's pretty nasty in melee but short on wounds. It also heals Kirai which is handy since she hurts herself a lot.

Lost Love is Kirai's totem, it's her dead boyfriend. He can heal Spirits and potentially grant Spirit to a non-Master model.

Datsue-Ba looks pretty unpleasant, and can mess with your opponent in a variety of ways as well as potentially summon more Spirits.

Gakis are cheap melee spirits, they can eat models like Hoarcats do and aren't too bad to summon. They also heal when they kill a model or eat a corpse.

Onryo are your main beatsticks I think. Good fighters, decent wounds, and a ranged attack too.

Seishin are cheap and drop easily but you will generate more so no big deal. They can buff other spirits but don't fight themselves.

Shikome are nasty geisha-harpies that run something down and kill it, think of the Prey ability in Warmachine.

I would advise a starting Kirai player to pick up the box, a blister of Gakis, and a blister of Seishin. Optionally, you may also want another blister of Gakis, Seishin, or Onryo. Datsue-Ba and Ikiryo are both unique so don't get extras of them. Best thing would be to play some sample games and see how many of each thing you need.

I have not gotten to play her yet, I'm mainly passing on the advice I got from the Henchman I spoke with at their booth.

I agree, you want multiple Gakis and Seishin. Kirai's totem when it comes out will be a must.

I'm waiting on my book but I'm curious to see how Datsue-Bae worked out. She was very powerful. I also really liked the Shikome and used it often with Kirai.

Kirai was a lot of fun to play. I'm looking forward to getting more games in with her. Anxiously awaiting on my stuff to arrive.

I'm less familiar with the others, but I'll see what I can do.

One thing you should understand about Kirai is her interactions with Seishin:

1. If a spirit dies near her, you get a free Seishin

2. If a Seishin is b2b with her, you can redirect an attack to it

3. Seisin usually get sacrificed, but Seishin Beacon can override this, meaning that if they die they get replaced for free

You'll want to have a few, and keep them around her I think.

After waffling over it for a couple days, I ended up with the box, pack of Gakis, pack of Seishin, pack of Onryo. That gives me 2 Gakis, 3 Seishin, and 4 Onryo. I may add another pack of Gakis and Seishin later but I think Onryo will be good combat models for 5ss. Once the models are available I'll get Shikome and a Night Terror I'm sure, maybe others. I need to make a complete list of Spirits like I did Beasts for Marcus.

Another thought on the Shikome and "Prey." It's slightly different from the Warmachine version in that the Shikome cannot target or damage any other model while it's Prey is on the table. So it's more limiting than the Warmachine version. A couple of times I found myself in the situation of having other models close by or even engaging me that I couldn't attack. So you have to choose your prey carefully.

I think Neverborn also has a spirit that Kirai can use.

So after reading Kirai and all the spirits in Rising Powers, I envision Kirai crews running like so:

Kirai first turn: suffer 4 wounds and summon Ikiryo. Sacrifice a Seishin heal 2 wounds, get a free (1) action and two control cards.

Having not played a game with her yet, this is the first thing I would try with her.

So Kirai is pretty fragile, but can be very slippery, unless going against models that ignore WP->Wp duels (friggin' Lady Justice stays powerful against all the crews I run).

I think they did a pretty decent job designing this crew. A seemingly fragile chick walking around all sad and pitiful but swarming with deadly ghosts that pop in and out of existence.

Nice.

I love the 37" deep strike... Start with Datsue-Ba at the 6" line, move Datsu twice for a total of 10" (16" total), then use Kirai and use her (0) of In the Spirit World to warp next to the Datsue (and become a spirit to boot so she can be healed), first (1) action she moves 4" forward, second summons ikiryo (and the trigger to put Ikky down 12" from Kirai takes another Wd for 5/8 gone) for Ikky activating a full 32" from the back of the board. First, use Ikky's (0) action that moves all spirits within 18" towards her for 4". Make sure to use Datsue, Kirai, and Ikky last so all the other spirits on your team are within this 18" window. Then Ikky moves her walk once since she's slow (total of 37" from the back of the board) and makes a melee-master strike. Kirai's other (0) action, by the way, is soothe spirits on herself for a free healing flip. Then the seishens can move adjacent to Kirai at the end of Kirai's action and give themselves up for healing flips, since Kirai is a spirit until the end of that turn.

Beginning of second turn, activate Ikky and go off on whatever you are adjacent to. She's got 2 general AP and Melee Master to use, and her attacks target either Wp or Df and ignore armor... Remember to use the (0) action again to get all your slower spirits up to the fight. I did this at GenCon to Justice and (with a few good flips and a red joker'd damage) killed her before she did anything. Did it turn 3 the other night too, same trick but we started at corners instead of standard. Using the little 2ss seishens, Kirai can probably out-activate anyone else and do this without fear of Ikky getting punked before she gets to go. Using the primordial magic as a totem will net you a 7 card hand too, makes it easier to get the 8's of mask and crows or higher you need on turn one to pull this off.

Edited by eruletho

if I proxied her totem, I'd just cast it's (1) spell that'll turn her into a spirit permanently at the start of turn 1 anyway. After about turn 3, I end up using her (0) teleport mainly to make her a spirit, not for the massive move (though while surrounded by teddies it's a nice escape)

Yeah the ability to make any minion a spirit is huge. Imagine something like Killjoy as a spirit. Only half damage unless a magical attack, Kirai can switch him and another spirit, she can heal him or he can heal himself.

I list Kirai's totem as an automatic must include.

Plus the totem's spell says until end of encounter, so it lasts the whole fight. I was looking at picking up the Dead Rider, the Ressurectionist cavalry model. It has the ability to hurt/heal itself to keep it alive longer, plus it is just amazing, even at 10ss. As good as the primordial magic is now, I have to agree that Lost Love will definitely find its way into my arsenal when it comes out.

Plus the totem's spell says until end of encounter, so it lasts the whole fight. I was looking at picking up the Dead Rider, the Ressurectionist cavalry model. It has the ability to hurt/heal itself to keep it alive longer, plus it is just amazing, even at 10ss. As good as the primordial magic is now, I have to agree that Lost Love will definitely find its way into my arsenal when it comes out.

Sounds epic. It can make something a spirit for the entire game??

I list Kirai's totem as an automatic must include.

Awesome. I think we, as a faction, have some of the best totems in the game. McM's chihuahua is an auto-include, I simply add 1ss to his cost and consider them a mated pair (eww). Nico's vulture is something I'd be remiss to ignore. I don't play Seamus, though I suppose his copycat is less important (though definitely nice to have). On paper, it looks like Karai's lost love right up there with the doctor's puppy. Lucky us!

So today I ran a list with the Dead Rider and the Lost Love Totem. I made it a point to cast the totem's spell early upon the Dead Rider to make him a spirt and asuming we round down on wounds he was down to 4 wounds. At 4 wounds he gains (+1) Melee Expert, Hard to Kill, and Sythe: Poision 2. I ran him up front to tie up the Teddy(s) I face facing. He then litteraly destroyed one in one turn no problem. I feel that if you are playing a larger game than a boxset these are two must haves for Karai. It is amazing.