Austringers - Must Haves?

PanzerKraken

Now that the models are coming out, are more folks going to be using these much more? It seems odd that few lists seem to ever include them when they are just so good. People just not liking to proxy I suppose.

No los or cover needed for excellent ranged attacks? Can do one 18" attack with possible crits basically hiding behind a terrain object? Put two hidden away and commanding each other seems pretty cheesy.

The damage is not that amazing but the sheer range and not having to even see the enemy seems quite beardy and something most people are going to want to be stacking in their guild lists.

At my lgs people had proxyed them In both tournaments that I've held. They are really good. Now that the models are coming out the other four or five guild players are gonna bring them. I guess it is the fact that people don't like to proxy. So ya they are a good choice, my sister play the ortegas and she brings two one to command the convict gunslinger and the other to command one o the ortegas to get family. And still has the ability to activate almost everybody in one turn, almost everybody.

They indeed seem to be very fine models. Their attacks are very accurate and there's nowhere to hide. They're self sufficient in melee with their "push freely out of melee" Action so you don't really need to commit into protecting them (since they can already hang back behind terrain, far away from melee threats). They have a great Wp score as well and simultaneous activation is always nice to have.

While hard to hide from and very accurate, their damage output is very lackduster compared to all other Guild models. Without a :rams on the attack flip, you will hit, but like your opponent cares since you will only tickle them. Almost unavoidable damage is still a good thing to have.

Also I'm not sure how good Distract will really be. Unless there are three low cards or a Black Joker on top of their discard pile, I think just damaging the opponent is better in most cases. It requires suit as well so you most likely won't be able to use it when it would be good.

-Ropetus

The slightly lower overall damage seems to be more than repaid by the range and no-LOS needed ability imo.

TimeLapse made a decent thread about combining two of them together into a family member to finish off healthy models. If you think of the investment in SS's it's not bad. While the distract may not be easy to get off all the time, I see that + a gunslingers control being a very worthwhile addition to the Guild's masters.

Yes the low damage doesn't seem to be much of an issue, course it's not normal gun shots, but the sheer ability to hit your opponent from so far without penalty can really make up for it. Get two in a position close enough and they can just horde an opponent with 4 attacks that can easily add up for big damage.

While the distract may not be easy to get off all the time, I see that + a gunslingers control being a very worthwhile addition to the Guild's masters.

It's not only the fact that it is hard to get off at the right time. It's more about the fact that it takes effect on your opponent's discard pile which they have a lot of control over. Exactly how often are there 3 low cards on top of your opponent's discard pile? Even then, your opponent will know what is coming.

Not worthless, just highly situational.

But still, they should be really good in games. Especially against those pesky Neverborn who can be so hard to catch otherwise.

-Ropetus

It's not only the fact that it is hard to get off at the right time. It's more about the fact that it takes effect on your opponent's discard pile which they have a lot of control over. Exactly how often are there 3 low cards on top of your opponent's discard pile? Even then, your opponent will know what is coming.

Not worthless, just highly situational.

But still, they should be really good in games. Especially against those pesky Neverborn who can be so hard to catch otherwise.

-Ropetus

Lol, no, it's not quite that bad Ropetus. Fate is what Malifaux is about cheating after all...

Think about it, say you have decently made them discard with a convict gunslinger. Most people I've seen play don't discard vital cards... Most discards period aren't the strongest/most vital ones, use the chafe and force them to cheat to get a spell in after trying for Headshots or w/e.

Then again, as alpha strikers they do well also. Usually people will discard low(er) cards to attempt to draw better ones. In this case, you can try to make it harder on them by stacking the deck highly and alpha striking a swathe through the target.

This is also ignoring the fact that you don't need them to always be low cards. Granted, lower cards makes it easier, but this allows you foresight, the ability to know before they cheat what will happen. This alone puts psychological pressure on them as well as in-game pressure. If you know that there's going to be a moderate, weak, strong you can sway what he does...

One single bad card out of three might cause wasted casting/actions on their part (or a cheated card, further helping to rid their hand of anything of substance).

Aye, in certain situations it can be good. Like I said, situational. One issue with it is that you deal no damage when you mess their deck so the cards need to be really low to hurt your opponent more than inflicting some Dg.

However, is it an ability you would regularly spend a medium-high :masks card from your hand? At least I think I would much rather use that one for Obey, Execute or Trigger Happy.

Of course, as a first Action after they have just discarded three aces from their hand it can be devastating, but even then their first Df flip will enter the discard pile after the combat duel so they have a chance to get 2 cards on top of their pile before that.

Situational.

-Ropetus

If you can out-activate the enemy you will have pretty much total control of the length of the game if you use distract on one of your own models.

Only other scenarios I can think of are even more circumstancial, but anything is really just a bonus on top of the already much desirable abilities of the Austringers.

Edit: nah wouldn't work.. forgot at which point you shuffle, nevermind,, hmhmm.. ^^"

Edited by Wodschow

Never saw why people liked Execute too much... Obey and trigger happy are very good points though.

As for the cards ahead of time... Yeah, to a point I can see that, but that (first round) thing was just one situation that can actually happen throughout the round really.

Question (since I don't have the book in front of me atm), does the ability only work on enemies or can you likewise stack the deck for yourself?

Question (since I don't have the book in front of me atm), does the ability only work on enemies or can you likewise stack the deck for yourself?

It does not specify defender. I think it might actually be better used on your own models. You have much more control over your own discard pile and this could potentially allow you to use some of your control cards twice during the turn.

With Deliver Orders this could be used to prepare two high cards for a decisive Strike: put the lowest card of the three on top to cast Deliver Orders on your Master, then you have two high cards on the top of your deck for an insane attack flip for your next Soulstoned Charge (Lady Justice, Perdita) or Flame Burst (Sonnia) to bring some serious hurt on your opposition.

I think this is the only other way besides Leveticus' Death's Lessons or Zoraida's Crystal Ball to know what you will get from a Soulstone Flip.

Looks like Distract has a lot more use than I thought, in a sneaky Malifaux way :P.

-Ropetus

• 2 weeks later...
Never saw why people liked Execute too much..

I am guessing you have not fought Seamus much. Nothing more frustrating then sitting with the red joker in your hand but not being able to use it because you can't get a positive damage flip. Execute helps that a lot.

I am guessing you have not fought Seamus much. Nothing more frustrating then sitting with the red joker in your hand but not being able to use it because you can't get a positive damage flip. Execute helps that a lot.

Actually, I haven't gotten to fight anyone with Perdita yet. She's in my "to buy" state right now. :D

You raise a great point though, I completely forgot about some of the negative flippers.

Okay! So I played my First Game with two Austeringers and I realize...

I love them!

Deliver Orders combined with the Guild Guard's Patrol made me activate all but my master, all on teh same turn, not to mention the range, ignore LoS, 7 Wp, came in handy against those nasty spells people try and pull, not to mention 7 Cb. I am Definitely getting these guys the moment they come out! Or atleast the moment I get paid I'm ordering them lol

Also, Distract, did a whole lot of psychological damage to my opponent, since you don't have to show the order you put it in. lol

Don't forget the psychological effect of these guys. Your opponent has to devote resources to removing the Austringers or take nearly auto damage with their 7Cb. This can be very frustrating coming from a model you can't even see. They might be less of an auto add against flight heavy armies. Your can just hop over the building to kill it. Adding a counter charge unit behind cover just to protect your 5 point model might be overkill. I have not been using "deliver orders" with these guys. I usually have them tucked away pretty well and I have been assuming that I need LoS to use DO. Anyone want to correct me on that assumption?

Don't forget the psychological effect of these guys. Your opponent has to devote resources to removing the Austringers or take nearly auto damage with their 7Cb. This can be very frustrating coming from a model you can't even see. They might be less of an auto add against flight heavy armies. Your can just hop over the building to kill it. Adding a counter charge unit behind cover just to protect your 5 point model might be overkill. I have not been using "deliver orders" with these guys. I usually have them tucked away pretty well and I have been assuming that I need LoS to use DO. Anyone want to correct me on that assumption?

unless it specifies, no you don't. you're delivering orders via messenger eagle :P

I have trouble believing that Deliver Orders does not need LoS. If you read the card, it says Weapon:Raptor does not need LoS and Ignores Cover, implying when making attacks with the Raptor, you do not need LoS. Deliver Orders is a spell, not a Raptor strike, and it does not specifically say it ignores LoS, so I think you do need Line of Sight.