advice on a pandora list

WoeIsMe

ive just started playing malifaux, and chose pandora as my crew. my local gaming store is having its first tournament in about a week and i was looking for advice on a competitive yet fun list with pandora. its gonna be a 25 soulstone crew so i know it limits my options a bit.

any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

If you've just started, I don't think you should worry too much right now. Her starter is a very efficient for first games and plays well right out of the box. It adds up to 23 SS, leaving Pandora with 7 SS. No extra models are necessarily needed.

It might have some trouble with Reconnoiter and Claim Jump Scenarios due to Sorrows being Insignificant. If you think that will become a problem, swap in some Terror Tots to get cheap non-Insignificant models. You could also add a Totem if you want to, but that's optional.

-Ropetus

For Pandora there are several things you always want to make sure you have.

1) Sorrows: These guys are a near must for you as they greatly increase your damage potential and protect Pandora through Martyr.

2) Wp duel causing crew: You want your crew to be centered around causing Wp duels in whatever form. Moral Duels, Attacks that resist with Wp, Wp resist spells, etc. The more you have the better off you are.

3) Don't forsake 1 melee beatstick: I've played way to many games with her and nearly every game I have seen the extreme value a single melee beatstick can bring to her. If nothing else, it can die while you setup your web of effects. At best it can nom the face of anything in it's way. I recommend Kade or Teddy for this (Kinda obvious choices but hey). Teddy being my first choice do to his supperior power and the Terrifying he has. Kade is a greate choice though if your low on points, always go for the sweatbreads trigger with him.

But otherwise, experiment a bit. For things like Reconoiter and any board control type scenarios, just carefully choice your Schemes and you can off set your base sets disadvantage. Then all you have to focus on is making them and deny the opponent theirs (something Pandora is great at). Remember, a dead enemy can't do jack ;D.

But otherwise, have fun!

Kade is a greate choice though if your low on points, always go for the sweatbreads trigger with him.

I find both of his triggers to be useful depending on the situation, card flipped, and cards in hand. Don't discount harmless as an extra source of damage when they fail the check from negative flips due to project emotions.

I find both of his triggers to be useful depending on the situation, card flipped, and cards in hand. Don't discount harmless as an extra source of damage when they fail the check from negative flips due to project emotions.

Of course, always keep your eyes open for any effects that can cause a Wp duel. The more you have, the greater your chance of winning.

srry im late in replying ... too much work and not enough time for personal pursuits...

than k you all for the advice i'm taking it all in and have managed to get one impromptu game in.

the list i used im sure ill get blasted and raked over the coals for but here it is:

Pandora

Candy

Baby Kade

Poltergeist

Doppleganger

note the complete lack of sorrows... something ive been having trouble with in past games and which are a blaring weakness of the sorrows... very targetable with blast effects which then carry over to say Pandora.

its happened in all the games ive played with them sadly( granted ive been playing against gremlins and criid lately...) and i wanted to try and see what is possible w/o them. I havnt been able to ever get them in range to really cast doldrums or melancholy as they are almost immediate targets. My opponents have realized they are the most easily targetable ( and killable) models in the list.

i really liked the doppleganger in the list as copying emotional trauma was a headache for my opponent and the negative flip on inititive drove him nuts.

still trying to get a handle on the best way to use the poltergeist as he is squishy.

and im still riding the fence about baby kade.... he just doesnt seem to do well for me.

perhaps im just still grasping the learning curve Pandora takes to use properly.

srry im late in replying ... too much work and not enough time for personal pursuits...

than k you all for the advice i'm taking it all in and have managed to get one impromptu game in.

the list i used im sure ill get blasted and raked over the coals for but here it is:

Pandora

Candy

Baby Kade

Poltergeist

Doppleganger

note the complete lack of sorrows... something ive been having trouble with in past games and which are a blaring weakness of the sorrows... very targetable with blast effects which then carry over to say Pandora.

its happened in all the games ive played with them sadly( granted ive been playing against gremlins and criid lately...) and i wanted to try and see what is possible w/o them. I havnt been able to ever get them in range to really cast doldrums or melancholy as they are almost immediate targets. My opponents have realized they are the most easily targetable ( and killable) models in the list.

i really liked the doppleganger in the list as copying emotional trauma was a headache for my opponent and the negative flip on inititive drove him nuts.

still trying to get a handle on the best way to use the poltergeist as he is squishy.

and im still riding the fence about baby kade.... he just doesnt seem to do well for me.

perhaps im just still grasping the learning curve Pandora takes to use properly.

Ahh well that would certainly be a reason not to use them. If you play against a lot of blasts, dropping them isnt a terrible idea. You can still make due with them, but yeah they become a liability. Food for thought though, you don't have to link them to your guys to get their full effect. You could always move them up field un-linked.

Also, Kade is a bit strange at first, but you will learn to love him hopefully as time goes on. He brings the melee power you generally need even though he does very little with Wp duels. You could consider dropping him and the Poltergeist and then paying 1 more SS for Teddy. He gives you more power and some WP fun but is also a bigger target. So its your style.

Either that or drop Kade for 2 sorrows and just use their link sparingly. Use it to move them up field then get them out of B2B with Pandora.

im hoping to get in a few practice games more before the weekend and was toying with the following:

Pandora

Candy

Doppleganger

3 Sorrows or 2 sorrows and a Poltergeist

the utter lack of melee oriented models is giving me a slight pause but that may just be a knee jerk reaction

im hoping to get in a few practice games more before the weekend and was toying with the following:

Pandora

Candy

Doppleganger

3 Sorrows or 2 sorrows and a Poltergeist

the utter lack of melee oriented models is giving me a slight pause but that may just be a knee jerk reaction

Heh don't worry to much about the lack of melee. Your actually really good vs it, ranged is actually more of a problem since they can sometimes hit you from outside your effective range.

Vs Melee, just don't get to ganged up on if you can and rely on Pandora to intercept incoming melee attackers and fend them off with the Wp duel required to target her. Once they miss the first hit, push 4" away and laugh maniacly =D

Just watch Candy and the Dopelganger, they wont last to long in melee. Though Candy does have a decent Df and Harmless, she still wont last long against a melee master or a powerful melee creature like the Desolation Engine or the Executioner.