Starting the game up. Thinking about Lilith

RWARP

My friends recently got me interested in Malifaux I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice of creatures and pairings that work well with Lilith. I haven't had much time to peruse the manual as I don't own one yet but of all the armies I saw she seemed the most appealing for an army leader.

What kind of play style does her army suit best? It looked a little more brute force than the others.

What kind of play style does her army suit best? It looked a little more brute force than the others.

This explains it all.

She works very well her box set, but she also has a few models that work nicely with her:

Doppelganger

Malifaux Cherub (Totem)

Teddy

Waldgeist

As you said, she's practically a brute force, herself. She has a Df of 8:masks which is ridiculous and you'll find out why when you put her into melee. Most of the Neverborn models work well with her, however, I personally recommend taking Terror Tots. They grow into Young Nephilim, then into Mature Nephilim, which are beastly. That said, I also tell people to take the Doppelganger as she can mimic many of Lilith's abilites, which basically creates a second Lilith.

Teddy is practically as deadly as a Mature Nephilim, if not more so. He's very good with Baby Kade who also might be a nice addition to Lilith's crew, but expensive if the two are together.

The Waldgeist aren't exactly heavy hitters, but they love Lilith's imaginary forest. They can pick it up and move it and are able to Wk towards it and hit anything in it.

Phew. I know that's a bit much but once you start playing, everything I just said will become common knowledge and second nature. Glad to have you aboard and can't wait to see/hear about your crews!

EDIT: I forgot about you saying you didn't have the rulebook yet. Put simply, always have Terror Tots, and play around with the models I mentioned previously.

Edited by Blank
clarity

Starting out... Lilith is a good choice. Her boxed set works really well and all you really need to enhance (as a new player) is a blister of Young Nephlim. Anything else can come later. The rules for the whole crew are pretty easy to get a handle on. Pretty much - Kill stuff - Drink blood - Grow bigger & meaner - Kill more...

I personally just run Lilith with Nephlim but I'm trying to get my hands on some Waldgeist and that will pretty much be all I'll need.

Yup that... a lilith starter and a blister of young neph is a great starter army. Add a cherub and you've got an extremely solid 30ss force that can take all-comers.

She's very straight-forward but has some shennanigans you'll need to learn as people figure out how to counter her frontal assault.

Awesome, I was thinking of a dopple later on but for now I'm going for the box and an additional 2 young nephs.

So Lilith

3 terror tots

2 young

1 mature

for my 35 point games.

I do have one question though if I took out the mature I can still grow a young or a terror tot into one without having to pay for the mature correct?

I do have one question though if I took out the mature I can still grow a young or a terror tot into one without having to pay for the mature correct?

Terror Tots grow into Young Nephilim. Young Nephilim mature into Mature Nephilim.

Those are two different abilities and have different requirements. Practically speaking it is easier to mature a Young Nephilim than to grow a Terror Tot. That's because Blood Counters are relatively easy to come by (esp. for Lillith), but you need high :masks in your hand to ensure growing works (and that can't be guaranteed). Maturing does not have such high suit requirements and doesn't compete for cards with other Neverborn spells, so it's much easier to cheat it.

Not taking the Mature Nephilim is a good choice not only because it saves points, but also because he is a great target that cannot hide easily (ht3 means most ht1 obstacles don't provide cover for him). Opponents love to shoot him before he can do anything and his Df is too low to avoid damage. If you keep him hidden, he won't be of much help. By growing a Young Nephilim in combat with opponent, you deliver the monstrosity safely right where you want it to be.

On the other hand a fire magnet may be your preference - if you have enough points to spare, you may prefer to sacrifice the first Mature Nephilim while moving up to the opponent and getting the Blood Counters and then just mature a Young one as soon as the original dies. That way you can screen your team from early shooting/magic.

Last but not least, make sure you take a lot of spare Soulstones. Lillith really needs them to ensure all her attacks strike home and that she avoids the damage. Especially against casters heavy on Rst:WP spells (that's her Achilles' heel). I typically don't leave deployment zone without 6 Soulstones, but 8 is preferable.

Edited by Q'iq'el

Thanks for the tip! Thats what I figured that you could start with a mature but it would be better to stick with two youngs and just grow one of them into a mature.

As I have it right now w/o the doppleganger / cherub i have about 8 soulstones for Lilith. I think if i get them I have about 8 in a 35 Good to know! Thanks for the help guys :) I'm really looking forward to this game.

Yeah you can but the Lilith/Mature combo is great and you'll want that combo for your starting moves (and for the whole game if you can). If it dies just grow a new one.

As ten said, your list is solid. For a 30pt list just drop one Young Neph and take and extra soulstone.