Nicoderm vs. Viktorias - 20ss

dahli.llama

My wife and I played only our second game last night. She was playing her Outcasts (Viktorias, 2 Ronin and Taelor) and I was playing my Resurrectionists (Nicoderm, Mortimer, 2 Punk Zombies). The table was 3'x3' with three small buildings on the left, a group of trees in the near right corner and hills surrounding the area. The center of the board was relatively clear of obstructions.

The Outcasts deployed in the far left corner behind the buildings, and I deployed in the trees. Outcasts were going for Reconnoiter and I was going for a slaughter.

The first couple turns consisted of everyone moving forward, my zombies raced forward to get into combat, while Nico and Mort hung back and tried to generate some zombies with no luck. The gun-Vik moved straight at me with a Ronin, while the other Vik, Ronin and Taelor made a flanking move around the buildings to my left.

I was unable to get my Zombies into combat before the gun-Vik got to them, so my Punks were dead quickly and then Nico was surrounded. He was able to kill the gun-Vik with Decay, and get some Mindless Zombies, but by then it was too late.

At the end all, of the Resurrectionists were wiped out and the Viks were able to secure three of the four table quarters for the win.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a tough game for Nic to win with little to no range for shooting (Mortimer only has 8" IIRC) against an opponent with numbers and a hard hitter in combat.

For 20SS I would maybe drop Mortimer and make up his points in another zombie and vulture, maybe a canine remains if you can squeeze it in. Or are you limited by your model collection? I can understand that...

If I understood correctly you tried to raise zombies. I could suggest trying to paralyze, decay your opponent and then run in with the zombies to kill and generate corpse counters that can be used either for raising or mindless zombies. Plus don't forget that Nic can Bolster Undead (inc himself) giving them better offence and defence.

Keep posted if you have any successes, I love Nic and he was able to shut down Lilith last week in 30ss and she had Mature Nephilim and Teddy. Convict was able to take down Neph in 1st turn shooting which was lucky for me.

D.

Edited by daemonkin

Sound advice from daemonkin. I would definitely go for some cheaper models, such as the Canines, in a low SS game. You'll get more bang for your buck if you can turn a Canine Remain's corpse counter into a Punk Zombie. It's even nicer when you can convert your opponent's dead models. I've always found Nico to excel when he brings a greater number of models than his opponent does.

One quick note though. Nico's Bolster will not actually affect him, as an aura does not affect the model creating it unless it specifically states that it does. Bolster is incredibly devastating when combined with Punks, Bette, a Flesh Construct or (shudder) Killjoy.

Now I'm not a Ressurectionist player, but Mortimer seems to be good to me.

In smaller games there aren't as many models on the table at any one time, thus obviously not as many corpse counters either.

Mortimer will quickly exhume a few though which can be raised as stronger undead (PunkZs) or the ever important mindless zombies.

The more corpse counters on the table, the better for you.

And each corpse counter means alot more (% wise) in a small game than in a large game.

I'd switch out one of the initial Punk Zombies with 2~3 Canines and keep Mortimer.

But mind you this is only mind-spin from my side, not based on actual experience with the undead.

While on paper Mortimer seems to be good, I have found in my experience that actually getting the corpse counter ability to work is more difficult and you are relying on a good hand (crows) or a 1 in 4 flip.

I didn't realise that Nico can't benefit from his own bolster. Shame.

D.

In small games you have a relatively large hand compared to the amount of models. Mortimer gives you a very good use for those 1~8 crows that I don't know where else you'd be spending.

Have proxied him once in a 25SS game with Douglas. Managed to get exhume off just fine in the first two turns, which of course might have been luck. Then I ran Douglas alone in to the enemy and he died horribly from a Gunfighting Perdita. I lost.

- Not very cleverly played. But the morale was that I don't think Exhume should be that hard to get off.

Especially since you can cheat his exhumed flip. So I you had a low crow in your hand, BAM!!!!!! Corpse counter.

Yeah, I hadn't realized that you could cheat that flip. He'll be a bit more useful next time.

I did pick up a Bette, so she will be running in my crew next time. I'm not a huge fan of the canines, but I may need to pick some up along with some Crooked Men

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very fond of my Mortimer.

Don't know why do people mostly see him only as a token generator. In my opinion, his most useful ability is Fresh Meat. It requires a solid mask to pull of, but it gives your crew such a kick start. Also, very helpful against shooters, as a Wk+Cg of most of the offensive models is more than range of most of the guns.

Also, I think most people already know this but the counters Nico/Morty uses are different from the ones the McM and Sebs uses.

Nico uses Corpse counters, McM uses Body Part counters.

I'm curious as to what kind of point you are trying to make here? Douglas and Sebastian use corpse counters aswell, they just turn them into body parts first.

@gru6y: Yes I agree with you in that Fresh Meat! is a another very potent spell of Mortimers, and you can go with even middle-ish masks as long as you target your own models and don't resist.

It also allows you to move the otherwise slow Nicodem without spending his AP as he embraces death.

Why wouldn't Mortimer work well with Douglas?

Also.. I consider Sebastians token generating spell too expensive anyway, so he'd really go with any master aswell, though I find him somewhat lackluster. He's obviously designed to go with Douglas as his sidekick, but can't help thinking Mortimer is better for that.

Edited by Wodschow