Opinions on Ramos List: 30ss

Aberration

Just curious if anyone has any input on this Ramos list I'm thinking on using for 30ss...I have heard that the Cerberus is a great choice but I don't own the model yet and I'm unsure on what to sacrifice to put it in my list...

Ramos

Ice Gamin x3: 12ss

Rusty Alyce: 10ss

Johan: 6ss

Brass Arachnid: 2ss

Total: 30ss

I like the idea of Gamin Bombs vs. High Df models (Perdita, Lilith) that I know I'll see. This list is also very low on soulstones, only having the 2 that ramos comes with naturally...but I haven't had to use many in the test games I've had with this list as of yet. Any criticism is welcome!

Should work for Claim Jump and its great if your opponent has Assassinate. However, I doubt its very effective for Assassinate, Slaughter, Reconnoiter or Treasure Hunt. Your entire group is slowish and three models (Ramos, Alyce, Johan) are tied to stay together. For those strategies you want some more speed and independence of Ramos' presence, to catch your opposition/treasure or to spread out.

In general, I doubt taking both Alyce and Johan is really needed. Both serve the same role in defending Ramos and one should get the job done well enough.

-Ropetus

Hmm...I see your reasoning. It has been a big cluster around Ramos and treasure hunt games were indeed difficult...

I've never played Myranda, but if anyone has maybe they could give input on if it would be worth taking her for shapeshifting versatility over say a cerberus (and save a soulstone, in the process!).

Maybe sub out Alyce (Although having a use for Rams and the +2 card draws is incredible) for Myranda or a Beast... or maybe just sub out Johan and a Gamin instead?

I'm a big fan of the all arachnid army

brass - 2

steamborg - 10

swarm - 9

arachnids x 2 - 6

you would need at least 3 more arachnids and one more swarm for replacements but I would also start off with the first swarm broken apart they are harder to hit but beware of blasts

I've never played Myranda, but if anyone has maybe they could give input on if it would be worth taking her for shapeshifting versatility over say a cerberus (and save a soulstone, in the process!).

No.

Shapechange eats a high :tomes which Ramos is already starving for. Also she will miss one of the key abilities of the Cerberus which is Leap since spells are not copied. Without any Beasts alongside she has pretty much nothing to do since her spell selection is extremely lackduster.

If you need speed, the Steamborg is good, as is a Stoked Arachnid Swarm (split it up and you got a bunch of reactivating arachnids).

-Ropetus

Get a sabertooth. The thing is stupid fast. If either you or your opponent draws treasure hunt it will be invaluable. The only models in the game that rival the sabertooth for a treasure hunt are bad juju and the silruds.

The best strategy I have found is to activate your sabertooth late in the turn so that either you have surged with ramos to help find a high mask or you have done something else to acquire one (alyce is really helpful for this). This allows you to see if your opponent has done something to get his/your treasure if he has chances are that unit is hung out to dry. That is when you leap and double walk your way over to his fast treasure-getter and take you your 2 free three-headed attacks.

Next turn your first action should be your sabertooth so they only get to use one model to attack it with. Leap away if you can (keep in mind you no longer have flight but can still use the extra move). Try to end your move in cover to take advantage of stalker.

The things that really throw a wrench in to this plan are the silruds as they come in packs and leap very easily and bad juju since he can spawn next to the treasure and is very durable. This also struggles against perdita if they win the initiative flip as they can family and kill you beloved pet.

-Heretic

Get a sabertooth. The thing is stupid fast. If either you or your opponent draws treasure hunt it will be invaluable. The only models in the game that rival the sabertooth for a treasure hunt are bad juju and the silruds.

The best strategy I have found is to activate your sabertooth late in the turn so that either you have surged with ramos to help find a high mask or you have done something else to acquire one (alyce is really helpful for this). This allows you to see if your opponent has done something to get his/your treasure if he has chances are that unit is hung out to dry. That is when you leap and double walk your way over to his fast treasure-getter and take you your 2 free three-headed attacks.

Next turn your first action should be your sabertooth so they only get to use one model to attack it with. Leap away if you can (keep in mind you no longer have flight but can still use the extra move). Try to end your move in cover to take advantage of stalker.

The things that really throw a wrench in to this plan are the silruds as they come in packs and leap very easily and bad juju since he can spawn next to the treasure and is very durable. This also struggles against perdita if they win the initiative flip as they can family and kill you beloved pet.

-Heretic

Agreed. For Treasure Hunt, a Cerberus is absolutely ideal. Leap allows you "jump" 9" and leaves you with his 2AP to walk another 10" for a crazy total of 19". Consider the fact that most Malifaux boards are 3' by 3', this means on the next turn, ideally you will be able to move once and pick up the treasure. The only problem is you'll be stranded in the middle for one whole turn so make sure you bring some help along with him if he gets into trouble.

You could try this list:

Ramos

Brass Arachnid

Sabertooth Cerberus

Ice Gamin x2

Steampunk Arachnid x3

The total comes to 27 SS, which means you get 5 SS. Though, it really is dependent on what your strategy is, this one looks like it would work Treasure Hunt, Assassinate, and possibly Claim Jump. Slaughter is difficult no matter what faction you are using and Reconnoiter, well, you would need some decent fighting models to hold their ground in the 4 corners.

If you wanted to, you could play around with the Ice Gamin and Arachnids in order to put in some other preferred models such as Joss, Johan or maybe even Hans.

The sabertooth does look pretty nice, lots of potential actions! I was thinking on keeping alyce around for the rams, masks go to cerb for movement, crows for ramos/alyce defense..I suppose... And tomes for summons.

Let's see...

Ramos

Brass Arachnid: 2ss

Ice Gamin x2: 8ss

Sabertooth: 8ss

Alyce: 10ss

2ss Leftover

I know you like I gamin for killing high defence models but I would like you to look at controlled detonation for that, It uses a spider and it will leave you a scrap counter that you can use to replace that lost spider. I would build a list like this,

Ramos +2

Brass 2

Steampunk A. 3

Steampunk A. 3

Alyce 10

Sabertooth: 8ss

3 SS left over for a total of 5 and you have the spiders that can explode be rebuilt and explode again. Also dont forget latch on that makes the defender DF -2 great for hitting those high level defece dudes. Johan might be good in a game aswell with CB7 melee and CB 6 range.

Hope this helps

-Andrew

I know you like I gamin for killing high defence models but I would like you to look at controlled detonation for that, It uses a spider and it will leave you a scrap counter that you can use to replace that lost spider.

Ice Gamin are constructs and therefore can be the target of controlled detonation, when they have (0) Bite of Winter up they deal 3 damage to unarmored targets with their Shatter ability on top of the 2 damage from the detonation itself. All for 1 more point than a spider and they are not insignificant

Yes. The whole point IS to use Controlled Detonation. Gamin are much better for that since you get their Shatter on top of Detonation's damage.

Ice Gamin are constructs and therefore can be the target of controlled detonation, when they have (0) Bite of Winter up they deal 3 damage to unarmored targets with their Shatter ability on top of the 2 damage from the detonation itself.

I don't think this works. You're not affected by your own Bite of Winter and it only affects targeted damage, not blasts or pulses.

Still, it works really well.

-Ropetus

• 4 weeks later...