I'm on a boat!

U.S. Male

Hobby Lobby sells little balsa wood boats for like $5. I cut one in half, put a plank on the back, and viola! I now have two skiffs.

No offense, but no way in hell a pirate ship or the like is getting near a bayou. Stick will smaller skiffs and dugout canoes. A miniature steam-powered paddlewheel would be cool.

I like Grot 6's idea. Here on p.236 is a picture of jetties in New Orleans c.1885. Some other cool illustrations of architecture, etc.

Here's a link to a pdfput out by Army Corps of Engineers - New Orleans District about preserving the heritage of bayou life. There are some very cool photos in it, but it's a little over 4 MB:

http://www.mvn.usace.army.mil/pdf/abt_bayouchene.pdf

Keep in mind, this is Malifaux, not Louisiana. No major shipyards or ports breachside, as far as we know. So no need for anything too fancy.

Good luck, and be sure to post some pics!

Thanks for the extra info everybody. I liked some of the pirate stuff, but I'm definitely thinking of a flat bottom swamp crawler. Of course, scratch building vs buying is an age old debate.

I'll have to hit up the new hobby lobby and check out those boat kits. Even if I kit bash them, it'd be nice to get a good starting point.

Hobby Lobby sells little balsa wood boats for like $5. I cut one in half, put a plank on the back, and viola! I now have two skiffs.

Do you remember what section of Hobby Lobby had these balsa boats? I'd like to get some, but I have a hard time finding stuff in there.