Mosquito Pro?

thaehl

Som'er Teeth Jones' Giant Mosquito is quite possibly the saving grace for this crew as a whole, now hear me out. Ive heard many people complaining about Som'er's faults, granted he has a good few faults but I find that paying for a few of these totems at least two you can make him one of the meanest masters to play agianst. And this spell is A Gremlins Luck, all the Giant Mosquito needs co cast this monstrosity is an 8 and with the capability to rid someone of five of their control cards in one go per totem, you create some real problems, and force the opponent to play top deck for the rest of the game! The models are fast with their movement of ten and a no resist spell that deprives a hand the way A Gremlins Luck does you have one of the most effective totems, this spell isnt even a true detrement as Take a Swig allows the totems to readily heal! has anyone else seen this massive potential or am I the only one? Anyone have other Ideas?

Im still new, so i might be wrong...

But cant you only have have 1 totem in play at a time?

From the Errata

A Totem must be connected to a Master when it is hired by a Crew or summoned. A Master may only be connected to one Totem at a time. A Totem is sacrificed any time it is not connected to a Master in play.

Or are there any tricks i dont know of yet?

force the opponent to play top deck for the rest of the game!

No.

Even if you force them to discard their hand, it is not permanent. They will get a new hand of cards the next draw phase earliest, or sooner if they have card drawing abilities. Still, getting rid of their hand is an extremely powerful effect, especially when you follow it by throwing a bunch of Stampeding Pigs at your opposition.

Overall, they are great. They have the most durable Totems in the game and very hard to get rid of. Som'er also has three great spells for them to cast. The already mentioned Gremlin's Luck is much more handy when cast by them rather than Som'er. Sooey! is extremely useful tool in getting your Pigs in position to attack or to retreat them back to safety. Pull my Finger is unavoidable area damage which is always great.

Bring in 2 Mosquitoes, 2-3 Gremlins and a bunch of Pigs, maybe Hog Whisperer if you got the points. First turn have Som'er use Git Yer Bro once and Take a Swig on two Mosquitoes, move one Mosquito forward, have the other Larva a Gremlin, the new Mosquito Larva the other one and send the last one forward as well. Overall you gain an extra model, draw 4 cards and you have a healthy Gremlin for using Git Yer Bro next turn.

I think you could write an entire article about using Mosquitoes.

-Ropetus

@Ropetus,

Yes im sorry if I made it seem like I thought the discard was final in any way shape or form, What i was intending to get at was that it is easy to get off and as such you can get it off every turn (in almost every instance, Excluding Sonia in some cases) and as such force them to top deck every turn, not one time and done deal, sorry for the misunderstanding. But thanks for the thoughts on Sooey.

It also most often requires 2 Mosquitoes to get their discard their entire hand since they start with only 3 Wd (unless you get lucky to get one of the 2 cards to cast Parasitic Infection) and Control Hands have 6 cards. Can you even kill off the Mosquito with Gremlin's Luck? I can't remember if it was possible but if it's not then you can only discard 2 cards most of the time. I doubt you can effectively do that every turn since you will need to shuffle those Mosquitoes a bit too much (basically: 2 to cast Gremlin's Luck every turn and the other two using Larva to generate more, and this also requires Som'er to generate 2 Gremlins every turn for Mosquito material).

On a critical turn it can be devastating but it's not really efficient to use it every turn.

-Ropetus

EDIT: If your opponents feel Gremlin's Luck is the highest threat you have, they might even not target 1 Wd Mosquitoes which means you have to waste Actions killing them and producing new ones if you want to cast Gremlin's Luck. However, those Mosquitoes could start casting Sooey!, some random Pig should run over it soon, at least after you cheat the Mosquito's Df down...

Edited by Ropetus

Yep Mosquitoes are great. I typically take one or two to start and have them larva in a few more killing gremlins to bulk up my hand. The problem is there are so many other good things So'mer can be doing with his 1 actions that its hard to spend it all on healing mosquitoes. That decreases their effectiveness at casting Gremlin's Luck. I tend to have mine cast pull my finger a lot. Its a much better way of circumventing high defense than not letting your opponent cheat. If you scroll down the Outcast page a bit you can find Lalo's Gremlin tactics article where I steal all my ideas from. It has extensive ideas for using skeeters.

Edited by HandsomeDan
Probably being a bit too harsh.

• 2 weeks later...

Bring in 2 Mosquitoes, 2-3 Gremlins and a bunch of Pigs, maybe Hog Whisperer if you got the points. First turn have Som'er use Git Yer Bro once and Take a Swig on two Mosquitoes, move one Mosquito forward, have the other Larva a Gremlin, the new Mosquito Larva the other one and send the last one forward as well. Overall you gain an extra model, draw 4 cards and you have a healthy Gremlin for using Git Yer Bro next turn.

Does this mean that you bought 2 mosquitoes and made two more in a first turn?

I'm very new to this game, and in my area nobody is playing Malifaux, so I have to break the ice and ask all the stupid questions. So please don't mind on that,

thanks ahead,

ST.

Purely speculation, but if the new Nino-wannabe Gremlin have the Headshot trigger, then draining the opponents hand with no chance of resist gets NASTY..

I doubt they would do that.

Most of the game's most powerful tactics can be avoided if you play correctly. With the skeeter discard being irresistible, I doubt they would put in a headshot, letting you instant kill anything you can hit (and since most of the really big models have low defense and they have no cards in their hand to cheat with after the skeeter discards your hand, even gremlins can easily hit anything at this point).

• 4 weeks later...

Being on the receiving side of the discarding totems, Thaehl is from my playing group, Not only does it mess with your hand and discarding it also changed the mindset of your opponent. If there is a spell he/she wants to cheat then he thinks that he as to activate those models first, since he could lose his hand at any time.

Don’t worry about your opponent killing your bugs since you can just make more with get your bro + a reserve Totem that kills new Gremlins.

Now this might not be the only good tactic that the gremlins have but its in there arsenal and can be used when the player deems it time. I think that they are one of the best totems in the game up there with IMHO the brass A. and The enslaved N. and if used right can be vary annoying to your opponents and make them want to build your list as well.....

Actually from what I have seen the really good part of Mosquitos is the ability to cast pull my finger. Auto 2 damage in a burst is really good. Especially if you got 4 of those buggers doing it as part of one long activation(with Companion).

I like to use the alpha stank as a fallback strategy for my skeeters. My primary use of the skeeters is guiding my pig missiles.

Alpha Stank is the nick name for swarming an opponent with Skeeters and having each use "Pull my finger" I think it was AoM that coined the phrase.

A couple other gremlin slang terms:

The Pig Boomerang is the nickname for using skeeters and hog whisperers to precision guide your flying pigs to the enemy then return them to friendly lines.

Lastly, the Gremlin Gunline is the nickname for massed focus fire from Bayou Gremlins on one target.

• 1 month later...

Generally onw type of effect doesn't clash with another.

Only 1 Summon per death.

Only 1 Card Draw per death.

Only 1 of any kind of counter for a 30mm base eath.

But none of these clashes with the other, so you can have a new skeeter and a card draw. I think Larva sacrifices the target so you wouldn't get any corpse counters.