Just starting Malifaux (seamus)

Hello all,

I am new around here, I am just getting into the game & decided to start with the Redchapel Gang. I figured that I would post my first completed Malifaux mini Seamus. I pretty much copied his artwork for the colors, I'm pretty happy with how he turned out.

Seamus.jpg

I am working on the copycat killer now. I am not happy with how the faced turned out at all I may redo it. Originally I was going to paint his hair like Seamus, but now I'm thinking the model is too dark so I may go with blonde hair to lighten it up, Any opinions?

CCK.jpg

I will probably move on to Sybelle next. I didn't like her as a baldie so I sculpted some hair on her (& reposed her left arm). I think it makes her look more like a madam. I may still add a skirt to her as well.

Syb.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Seamus looks amazing, I can see what you mean about the copycat killer, it has come out dark

how about changing the colour of the top hat, or base it on a really light base to give some contrast

and I love the idea of adding hair to Sybelle, looks so much better

Thanks for the comments guys.

wow that looks awesome how did you make the wood grain effect

I just used the Grey Browns Triad of paint from reaper master series. I started with the shade color then painted lines with the base, then the highlight, then I added P3 Hammerfall Khaki to the highlight color (Driftwood Brown) to bring the highlights up a little further.

Thanks for the suggestions for the Copycat Killer, I'm still tweaking the paint job. I did further the highlights on the coat a bit. As for the base it will probably be a more neutral color. I am going to be using the victorian inserts, I'm just waiting for the ones I ordered to arrive.

Well I finished Sybelle. My camera hates me & washed out most of the highlights. The front shot has truer to life color than the back.

Sybelle.jpg

Now I'm onto the belles. Thanks for looking.

Thanks for all the compliments.

It's amazing what just adding hair to Sybelle does to her. Hope you don't mind if I steal the idea.

Steal away :)

I finished one of the belles. Not 100% happy with the fan, I may repaint it. I have the skin done on the other two, just the dresses to go. I hope to have them done tomorrow.

belle1.jpg

& As you can see my base inserts arrived. This was my first time working with a premade base, I had always made my own. I quite like the inserts, they are very nice & the victorian lamppost is the coolest accessory every, its just perfect.

crew1.jpg

As always C&C welcome and appreciated.

outdtanding color sense. Rarely do i see a muted and dark color scheme and technique that i like but this one is excelent. It just oozes Victorian streets

Thanks you, but honestly it's just trial & error. I painted the flesh three times & dress 4 times before I settled on that scheme for the belle (a google image search for victorian dresses helped with the latter.)

It all look very nice but, I think the blue/purple tinge of the rotten belle's skin is too close to her dress which I love. I think a fresher flesh would look better.

Very nice overall look though.

I tried a healthier looking skin color, but I didn't like it. The skin color I settled on is causing me problems. There are so many shades in the skin it just takes on the color of whats near it. I am having a problem painting on of the other belles in a green dress because the skin looks too green next to it. I had to set it aside & rethink before I finish painting it.

I painted Bette Noir in the meantime. Went for a more monochrome look than with the belles. I may redo the knives, I'm not happy with them.

Bette.jpg

I also realized that I need to pay closer attention to a model before I paint it. I was partway through painting what I thought was her hair before I realized it was a hood. If I had realized that it was a hood from the start I would have went with a different scheme, like an evil red riding hood.

fairytale-fights-34a842a1615df0.jpg

Oh well I may get a second just to paint up that way. :bigthumb:

Another great model, you have the muted macabre scheme down. Care to share your colors? Would love to try and emulate it.

Thanks,

The hood & lower dress are black highlighted by adding P3 Trollblood base for the first 2 highlights then P3 Frostbite for the final highlights.

The rest of the dress is based with black/P3 Umbral Umber (about 2:1). I highlighted it by adding P3 Bootstrap Leather to the base coat, then P3 Hammerfall Khaki for the final highlight.

The skin is a variation of what I've been using for the belles. I start with reaper master series Terran Khaki, shade by adding foundations hormagaunt purple & highlight by adding P3 Frostbite.

Hope that helps.

Here is another rotten belle:

belle2.jpg

Just one more belle to go.

I also bought the Hollow Waifs. I was originally going to convert them into more Rotten Belles, but now I'm thinking of giving them swords & converting them into Punk Zombies.

belle3.jpg

Finished the last rotten belle, so the crew is done for now. I like skirmish games, so much easier to get your army fully painted :) Overall I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. I think I'm going to look into base inserts for future projects, I like the weight they add to the base.

Redchapel.jpg

After seeing those new releases coming out I think I'm going to have to get Kirai to give Seamus some company for Brawls.

Now onto playing some games & getting to work on the gremlin crew I have sitting in the box.

As always thanks for looking.