Adding a Faction

hellojohn99

Good Faction and Religious Faction are not necessarily the same thing.

Good Guys = A faction full of Aragorn's and Sam Gamgee's (IMO Sam is the toughest, bravest hero in all of the fantasy genre).

Religious = I can think of far to many (historical & current) examples to exclude religion to be considered Good Guys.

Honestly, i haven't read the entire post yet so I'm not sure if these points have been made yet, but here goes.

The first point I'd like to make is alot of the draw to the game is that there is no "good" faction just like real life. Good itself is a relative term that is subject to opinion. (For give me for the historian babble that follows I'm in school to become a history teacher :)) Take any war from time. Both sides no matter how wrong they were to our own ethics honestly believed in their cause and thought it to be the "Good" and "Just" way. Never mind the thousands of innocents that were killed in the process. The next point is the factions involving the church. Honestly the guild already seems kind of churchy to me. Just the whole witch/necromancer/demon hunt really reminds me of the catholic (menoth) faith over the various eras since their creation. Not to mention i wouldn't in the slightest consider a church faction to be the "good" guys. I understand that a religious faith tends to bring to mind shining crusaders of good, but even evil can have paladins, Albeit with slightly different powers but Death Knights from wow, or dark knights from the final fantasy series are fine examples in my opinion. (Once again excuse the history babble) Not to mention history shows that the church has committed quite a few murders in its time simply not to loose power or gain something they want (Joan of arc, as close as well get to a real life pally was burned for being a witch simply because she was a woman who claimed to be able to talk to god or the crusades where they suddenly decided they wanted to own jerusalem. Among many more). Finally, its a skirmish war game no matter who you field they are gonna be killers and mass murderers. Its just the nature of the game. Sorry if I was blunt I just couldn't hold that in. Don't get me wrong i would love to see a new faction in this game and I do find your ideas thoughtful and interesting (the amish preacher would be a riot) i just don't think a "good" faction ever really works.

Edited by Dragoon130

3) Is anybody reading the fluff of this "character driven game" ??? If you are defending the neverborn as pissed off natives then you are not. We have a nearly all who delight in causing others pain & terror and go out of their way for "victems" to kill... candy.. .baby cade.. teddy .. nephilim that consume "Hapless" victems.. Dopplegangers that "infiltrate the city and perpetuate gruesome crimes".. pandora...

Geeze.. anyone who attempts to play these all off as just some angry natives content to defend their homes and be left alone etc etc is just being either really ignorant of the fluff out there both lerarally and in tone Or is jut being insultive (to the intelect of anyone who has taken the time to read it).

History is told by the winner. If the south had won the civil war then the north would be the "bad guys" but the north won so guess who is portrayed at "bad". Its like someone said earlier the neverborn may be described as monsters who want nothing more then to steal your baby and murder your dog but that could be guild propaganda. Its only right to fight back the native americans did it to the point of virtual extinction. It's not really that far fetched.

The only way to introduce an altruistically good faction is for the game to have some mechanic besides SS. A true servant of Goodness/God would never use soulstones. Here's my take on it:

New Trait - "Holy" - Cost 0*

*When recruiting this model, your opponent gains X Soulstones. These may immediately be used to recruit minions.

Blessed - Abilities which require Soulstones to be used may not target Holy models. Soulstones may not be used in duels against Holy models.

Retribution - Every time your crew uses a Soulstone, permanently reduce this model's Wp by 1. Every time your opponent uses a SS, permanently raise this model's Wp by 1.

ouch, that's a painful list. It would destroy my seamus.:(