Making a Mining town

Tauboy

Hi all

I’ve been bitten by the Malifaux bug and am starting my first crew, however looking ahead I’m thinking about some terrain.

After reading the fluff in the book I have an idea to create a mining town/slum with a few temporary building and loads of assorted cover scattered around (like barrels, sacks etc)

I was going to go down the Western building route but then I found this supplier and am thinking about using their tin shacks instead

http://pardulon-models.com/product_info.php/info/p92_Shanty-town.html

I know Shanty town are more often used in modern games but I think with a bit of careful painting and maybe the addition of a few gothic style accessories then it should match in with the Malifaux background

So am I being mad or does anyone else think they will work

Cheers

Mike

That stuff would be great for a mining town. Malifaux isn't just Victorian styled, the city itself is, but the human world aswritten seems a lot closer to the mid-late western period (anything up to the 1920s) so steam engines, electricity plus all the magical whatnots.

You can buy corrugated card from craft stores if you want to have a go at DIY shacks.

Does anyone know if the resin sets are the correct scale or not? I hate it when you have a building on a table and the mini standing next to it can use the roof as an arm rest. I ask because Im coming from WH 40k and I have absolutely no sense of scale yet with the Malifaux range.

Hi mate

I think because of the bigger scale of the Malifaux figures there will always be a mismatch with standard 25mm buildings, but these buildings are all about 5.5 - 6 cm high and as I'll base them as well they should be ok, plus shacks should be fairly small which helps

but as soon as they arrive I'll build one and post some pics with some Malifaux figures next to them so you can see the sizes

Mike

Does anyone know if the resin sets are the correct scale or not? I hate it when you have a building on a table and the mini standing next to it can use the roof as an arm rest. I ask because Im coming from WH 40k and I have absolutely no sense of scale yet with the Malifaux range.

Malifaux is sorta inconsistent-anaemic-32mm to 40k's 'heroic 28mm' which these days is really 'heroic 30mm' or 'pretty similar height to a malifaux model.

Hi all

The order I placed last week has arrived (amazingly quick delivery from Germany btw) I’ve only just opened the box but the stuff looks lovely

As promised here are a few pictures of one of the tin huts and some fences with a Malifaux figure placed alongside for scale

oh sorry for the quality of the pics I'll take better ones later

DSCF2456.JPG

DSCF2457.JPG

From a first glance I think they will work a treat all I have to do is attach them to a base and paint them so I’ll start on that soon and post a few more images once I’ve got a few building and other stuff ready to use

Cheers

Mike

Those look like a pretty good scale for that type of structure too.

Quality-wise, looks really nice actually, and I hope you put painted/based pix up for us to see! :D

actually the quality is really good the resin is detailed on both sides and has a tongue and grove assembly for the sides.

I'll be making one tonight and will hopfully have it painted up over the next few days so expect picts to follow

can't wait to see those painted up.

I had a quiet day today and have managed to paint up one of the shacks and the fences

So as promised here are a few pics with a couple of Malifaux figs for scale

first up Vicky in front of the shack

DSCF2458.JPG

next by the fence

DSCF2463.JPG

lastly a view of the shack interior

DSCF2464.JPG

Now I just need to paint up the other 3 buildings and all the boxes and oil drums and I’ll be ready to go

cheers

Mike

Wow, they look really good all painted up - fast work!

Small-ish door isn't a huge issue IMHO, as these are hovels/shacks, not proper buildings.

I also really like the look of your crew! Any hance of some good pix of them please? :D

glad you like the building, I'm just undercoating the other 3 now so should have them finished by tomorrow

I'll post pics of my crew later on on another thread so you can have a look at them

Mike

I wish I still knew the sites but the mining town looks nice but honestly from what I been reading of the style. I would use half the mining town and the other half use say a western town with some grim dark 40k/fantasy elements. But I do like your paint job on both the mining town and the minis.

I wish I still knew the sites but the mining town looks nice but honestly from what I been reading of the style. I would use half the mining town and the other half use say a western town with some grim dark 40k/fantasy elements. But I do like your paint job on both the mining town and the minis.

yep I'm with you there, I'm looking at adding some bigger western style buildings as well as the tin shacks and a few gothic bits to tie it all together.

thanks for the comments about my painting, I am still working on the other 3 buildings but my arm is playing up so I haven't been able to do much over the last few days

but hopefully I'll be able to paint up some more pics later this week

Mike