Seamus & His Living Impaired Ladies of Negotiable Affection

JMGraham

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

In a recent game , I was chagrined that my entire crew was painted, sans Avatar Seamus. My opponent did me a favor by killing Seamus before he manifested and saved me the shame of putting an unpainted model on the board. I don't want opponents to have to kill Seamus for me next time, so I painted Avatar Seamus:

IMG_5427.JPG

IMG_5428.JPG

I also realized that I haven't posted any photos of the other stuff I've done, so here it is:

Bete Noir and JACKDAW

IMG_5429.JPG

McMourning and his doting assistant, Sebastian

IMG_5432.JPG

IMG_5433.JPG

Man's best friend comes in all sizes (Rogue Necromancy proxy, canine remain, zombie chihuahua)

IMG_5434.JPG

3 Flesh constructs, from Wyrd, Reaper, and West WInd, respectively. Yes, I have had the Rogue Necromancy and all three constructs on the game by board's end (having started with none of them).

IMG_5435.JPG

Killjoy and the Killjoy delivery system (necropunk)

IMG_5437.JPG

Here's a group shot of my entire Resser gang.

IMG_5440.JPG

I have Nicodem and lots of other Ressers to paint, but I'm thinking I'll shift my focus to the Dreamer for a while.

Wow, I thought my style was sort've comic-booky / cartoony... your really pushing the limits on that. I like it very much. I don't think I could make myself paint that way, but I sure like to look at it!!

I'll bet you could really do some very cool stuff with the new Super Dungeon Explore.

Thanks, all! I agree that the SDE! and puppet minis would be a good fit for my cartoony style. I'm looking forward to giving them a shot someday, but there is so much to paint, and only so little time.

@ Edonil - I think what I do is generally called "block painting". For any army/crew, I try to limit my color palette and develop a set of "recipies" that I stick to from model to model. I also usually sit down with each model and write down what will be each color before I pick up a paintbrush. I prime black, pick a color, and paint that color to completion on the model, pick the next color, repeat, etc. I generally try to be very mindful of leaving some black primer untouched in the recesses of the models. Other than that, it's just a matter of taking highlights a fair bit brighter than you're usually used to. For most colors, I start with a base color and add more and more white to it, until I arrive at a very thin and faint pure white highlight. An example recipe: Black+Foundation red, foundation red, foundation red + blood red, blood red, blood red+ orange.

Thanks for the kind words, all. The deep shadows are a stylistic thing for me. I like the vivid, cartoonish look that comes from extreme shading. However, not everyone feels the same - it tends to be a painting style that divides folks into folks who love it or hate it.

I am glad you addressed this because as I looked at them, I thought they had a definitive cartoon feel. I was going to respond, but thought - if that hadn't been your intention - I might offend.

I think your work is unique and vivid. The cartoonish schemes tend to feel more like that of a graphic novel than a Scooby-Doo re-run. It's an appropriate style, I think. They look great. Awesome work!

• 1 month later...