Learn To Make Great Ice Pillars and Bases! York, Pa. 2/20/2010

MVM

Ice Pillar, Terrain and Basing Workshop

The class will be on Saturday February 20th. 12pm-?

We will be teaching a method for making extremely realistic looking ice terrain and bases. Anyone playing Rasputina, Khador, or Legion of Everblight will definitely want to check this out. The ice can also be made green- kryptonite anyone?

This would also be great for making an awesome snow table. Examples of ice made using this technique can be foundWhile the crystals are curing we will review some other basing techniques from simple to advanced. Wyrd Henchman will be also available to run demos of Malifaux.

Cost will be $7.00 to cover materials. All participants will be able to make and take home an ice crystal.

Edited by MVM
Links were to a defunct site that was virus ridden

These look awesome...

Is it possible for you to take photos and write up a how-to for those of us that are a bit far away??

Oh and here's another bump too... ;)

All credit for the technique goes to Pat Ohta. While he didn't mind if I taught the class, I don't want to just go sharing everything without consulting him first.

The class was fun for those who actually came out.

• 3 years later...

We will be teaching a method for making extremely realistic looking ice terrain and bases. Anyone playing Rasputina, Khador, or Legion of Everblight will definitely want to check this out. The ice can also be made green- kryptonite anyone?

This would also be great for making an awesome snow table. Examples of ice made using this technique can be found here* and here*.

While the crystals are curing we will review some other basing techniques from simple to advanced. Wyrd Henchman will be also available to run demos of Malifaux.

Cost will be $7.00 to cover materials. All participants will be able to make and take home an ice crystal.

so this was a long while ago.

The website for Pat's blog is virus riddled presumably hacked.

And all trace of him seems to have vanished from the WWW.

Any chance you can share some details on the how-to side.

What's used to create the form.

The resin mentioned is a pout product so you need a shape to pour it into.

What did he use?

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

All credit for the technique goes to Pat Ohta. While he didn't mind if I taught the class, I don't want to just go sharing everything without consulting him first.

The class was fun for those who actually came out.

He's AWOL.

I've been looking all over the web for him.

I would love to ask him directly if he would share the idea.

If not I understand.

When other builders ask how I do water effects I am not exactly forthcoming.

BUT I am still making a living at what I do and don't need competition replicating what I have worked hard to perfect.

Pat Ohta seems to be out of the terrain building business.

I can't find anything posted later than 2009.

If you have a way to make contact, please ask about sharing the technique?

Honestly, I have a customer who would probably have asked Pat about making terrain or how to make this and came to me when there was no one to find and ask.

let me know if you have any ideas

Any reply is a help :)

Thanks either way.

Hey all, I'll see what I can find for photos.

Step 1 drill a hole in plywood about the size of the base.

Step 2 make a cone out of waxed paper and pull it through the hole.

Step 3 tape waxed paper to plywood.

Step 4 pour resin into waxed paper. The waxed paper actually becomes part of the finished product.

I'll see if I still have photos anywhere...

This would also be great for making an awesome snow table. Examples of ice made using this technique can be found here* and here*.

While the crystals are curing we will review some other basing techniques from simple to advanced. Wyrd Henchman will be also available to run demos of Malifaux.

Step 4 pour resin into waxed paper. The waxed paper actually becomes part of the finished product.

hi. so did you find the photos?

hi. so did you find the photos?