Sword's First Guild List

SwordOfJustice

Hi all,

I'm just getting into the game and here is my first army list. I haven't played yet and I plan on going to see some demo games in the coming month or so, giving me time to get some figures painted.

I love the Malifaux minis. Very high quality in my opinon.

List

Lady Justice

Nino Ortega (7 SS)

Peacekeeper (9 SS)

Witchling Stalker (4 SS)

Scales of Justice familiar (2 SS)

(Soulstone cache at start is 7 stones.)

I'm only a noob, but here's how I see it.

- I can use a wide selection of suits, without too much demand on any one. Rams and Masks are useful to the Lady. Crows and Masks are useful to Nino. Tomes and Crows are useful to the Witchling.

- I can power the Peacekeeper with crap cards.

- Combined with Scales of Justice 'Balance' ability, I should have a good control hand able to power everything.

- Reading battle reports on the forum shows me some models have some really scary powers and spells, including Pandora's plethora of WP tests. The Peacekeeper is a strong combat model that is impervious to all that (as I read it, hope that's right).

- The Peacekeeper has some nice abilities that I think will be verrrry useful, like the harpoon and chain attack.

- There is a mix of capability in the force. I like to think there is some kind of justice ready to be dealt out to any kind of enemy force. :)

- Nino's shooting power is just awesome. A great ranged cover for Lady J to close. I think the enemy better be careful on who Nino gets a bead on.

- The Lady's close combat power is also awesome. With a good choice of triggers and actions, I reckon she should be able to cleave just about anything if I can keep her alive to get there.

- I've just realised that the Lady often won't have models nearby to shield with her Blind Justice spell. But I plan to try running the Scales nearby and they both activate and put up Blind Justice to shield each other. I know the enemy will kill the scales, but eh. So what?

- I can also see from battle reports she can get taken down before achieving anything. So I think I should be careful how I close with her.

- The Witchling is cheap and cheerful but with some nice mobility and defenses against those funky powers I'm cautious of. I see him scuttling through terrain and doing some damage before dying.

- I have good amount of soulstones, which means I'll be using those liberally when needed. Especially in getting Lady J into position then boosting her initial attacks against main enemy models.

- The force seems low on model count. But hey, you can't have everything. I think I have to watch that I don't get too distracted from mission objectives by side fights with minions, as I only have few models to get things done.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments? I'm hoping this is a solid all rounder force, focussing on straight forward combat power.

I find that there are more than enough options in the triggers and spells and combinations for these models to keep me occupied while learning the game.

Cheers,

Sword

• 2 weeks later...

You should probably consider trading one of your bigger models in for smaller models on Reconnoiter. Peacekeeper seems a bit sketch at such small point totals, but I'm also a big fan of taking models simply because you like them (ask me about my Santiago fetish). With Lady Justice, Death Marshal's are generally better than Witchlings, in my opinion. They give a bit more ranged support, although Nino might be able to hold a 25ss field all by himself.

Nothing I can see really wrong with the list other than its problems with reconnoiter. Looks like a lot of fun, too!

Yes the peacekeeper may be a little much. Sometimes its nice to have a few more models. You could drop the peacekeeper and pick up a stalker and a marshall or another two stalkers. That might give you a little bit of a more versatile list. Not haveing played you have to remember that while it might be nice to kill your opponent, that is not always the objective of the game.

Just a quick note, Although the Peace Keeper is immune to WP duels as a construct. It is not immune to Pandoras stuff since one of her abilities is to strip that immunity away.

As far as the list goes I would follow the others suggestion and maybe drop one of the expensive models for one or two cheaper guys. Either that or drop the scales and pickup a Death Marshall.

The DMs are pretty solid ranged and melee units and worth the 4 points for sure.

Thanks everyone. Yeah, that Executioner looks tough on reading it's stats. And one rockin' miniature too.

After I collect some models for the Lady J crew I've started, I'll definitely move onto Perdita. What an awesome model! And great stats too, she's really tough and those powers appeal to me. A buxom, wild west, gunslinger chick with quick draw, fast and Spellbreaker? What's not to like? :D

Yes, I noted that Pandora gets to use her special powers due to her special rule the other night. What a damn shame that the Peacekeeper isn't immune. There is a range on that though. I was thinking maybe long range strikes are the best for countering that.

In that category we have the Austringer and I have already bought a model for that. It's a great model called Lilith from Tale of War and it has this small pseudo dragon type creature resting on the lady's outstretched arm, ready to strike. It's like some kind of fantasy falconer.

That Nino is very powerful at range. So I'm thinking he could counter her.

I know you have to win a WP duel to attack Pandora. But for Nino he gets +2 as a defender which makes his 8 vs her 7. The Austringer is WP 7 which is pretty good. So it's mostly 50-50 though Pandora can burn stones, of course.

It's pretty dangerous for me as a Guild player as Pandora gets her free move if she wins. Still, that Nino can fire a powerful shot so that would make the Pandora player sweat a little.

She's got DF 2, I see. Not much at all... hehehe

If Pandora keeps sorrows in base contact, maybe I can find something that will deliver blasts? ;)

Anyway, Malifaux looks like a well balanced game. There seem to be so many options for each model in the game. I love it, this will no doubt keep my tactical intellect occupied for years to come exploring options and counters, which is one the main foundations of mini wargaming I think.

It's good to hear people find Death Marshals good. I love the model.

Cheers,

Sword

Just a quick note, Although the Peace Keeper is immune to WP duels as a construct. It is not immune to Pandoras stuff since one of her abilities is to strip that immunity away.

As far as the list goes I would follow the others suggestion and maybe drop one of the expensive models for one or two cheaper guys. Either that or drop the scales and pickup a Death Marshall.

The DMs are pretty solid ranged and melee units and worth the 4 points for sure.

By the way, that idea to drop the Scales and pickup a DM is really appealing. I think that would be the stronger option. That totem doesn't rate highly in my eyes. I was mainly thinking to use it for the Blind Justice shield but the totem isn't very survivable. I'll try both ways I think.

Cheers,

Pete

You can also swap Scales of Justice with Student of Conflict. Giving Fast to Lady Justice is pretty sweet.

I thought this would be a great idea at first. But when I finished wiping away the drool from when I was thinking about Lady J with fast, I noticed that this costs the Student all its actions and it does not move as fast as her. So how will it keep up with Lady J to be effective? Or do you suggest that the Student keep up and just give fast on that final charge into combat?

I reckon totems won't last long on the battelfield looking at their stats. But I suppose while they're being killed that's less heat on the Lady.

And errr.... I know this might sound strange.... but I don't really get the concept for this totem. A homunculous created by a wizard but which is studying war? But puny and weak and can't fight? It just doesn't gel with me. I know it's strange to question that in a game like Malifaux. It's kind of like arguing about how realistic it is for ten 8 foot tall Space Marines wearing powered armour and nuclear backpacks can fit into a Rhino. LMAO :)

Anyway, I don't know what kind of model Wyrd will release for this, but I'd probably be looking some kind of old zen mystic teacher style figure for that model to try and fit the concept instead of a magically created homunculous.

Anyway, the idea doesn't seem like it would work too well. Does it? Have you tried it?

Cheers,

Sword