Why do you diss her?

Blackmore

She's too good. :bigthumb:

No, like you, I'm amazed by the amount of hate I've seen for her, from what I've played (against her, I've never tried using her) she hits like a sledgehammer and can do it well in melee, magic, and even decently in shooting. She's the least specialized, and possibly hardest to play of the Guild masters, but neither of those are really bad things.

I'd guess the hate stems from the second, seeing as the Guild is something of a "starter" faction in some people's eyes - they're fairly simple, each in a single role, and that role is easy to learn. Sonia bucks those trends, but again, really not a bad thing. (In my eyes, at least)

The times I tried LJ and Perdita I found them really boring. Sonnia's combination of spellcasting and melee ability, and her awesome triggers, made her appeal a lot to me. Of all the masters I've seen, she's the most suited to switching between ranged fights and melee fights, depending on what the enemy doesn't want to see. Perdita can fight in melee, but you won't see her charging Nicodem or Tina the way Sonnia will.

It's worth noting that, from my experience, running Sonnia's box against either of the other Guild boxes is rather disheartening. Their simplicity and lack of needing to get spells off lends to them making short work of Sonnia and her witchlings and Samael can't stand alone against the Ortegas or a trio of Marshals. The latter I definitely feel to be a points issue however.

Sonnia and Rasuptina have stayed on top since beta testing. They're not over powered, they're not one trick ponies, and they can put out massive damage while still supporting their crews.

People hate on Sonnia because they're looking for the easy button. You see that they love Samael for Flaming Bullets, but ignore his shorter ranged spells that are more crippling in the big picture.

Sonnia requires depth. Don't charge someone assuming you'll get the kill with the sword. Charge them when they've already activated, and use Inferno to add insult to injury. Playing Claim Jump with a choke point to enter the terrain? Flame Walls are a great way to help keep your VP's at 4 instead of 2. Got a model with 1 Wd left, Violation of Magic will get you a brand new Witchling Stalker instead. If it's a Witchling with only 1 Wd, you get Immolating Demise on top of that!

Sonnia's sword is great. Hit someone with an important spell, and you're not going to have to worry about that spell next turn. You're going to heal, get a control card, and force discards as well.

The Ortegas are flashy. They shoot, and they're fast. Justice can slice and dice on her own. They're good, but they can't change gears very easily if things aren't going their way.

I played with my Ortegas again for the first time in months at a tournament two weeks ago. I played a Sonnia-led crew in Rnd 1, and Rnd 2's Ortega crew just felt weak and restrictive in comparison.

Here's the list I used at 30 stones:

Sonnia

Purifying Flame

Witchling Stalkers x2

Death Marshal

Nino Ortega

Convict Gunslinger

7 stones, plenty of ranged attacks, solid melee, card control, magic, and anti-magic. What's not to like?

I do think there is a bit more of a learning curve with the Criid box set than the other 2. Since my main opponent has Lady J, I learnt quickly how fast Criid will disappear without support.

That said, I now have at least 7 SS for her to use in game. It makes the spells a lot easier to cast (even just for the confiscated lore alone) and also lets me use her in a more offensive manner in the front line with SS adding to her DF.

As has been said, she can do almost anything required; ranged damage, area denial or summoning explodeymans. I had a really awesome 45 SS game a couple of weeks ago where she summoned 3 witchling stalkers over the course of the game with careful targeting of Hard to Kill models :D

• 2 weeks later...