Leveticus Crews - Post up yours today!

n0signal

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mm. he's not brilliant. I just feel like he's a worse killjoy. His main benefit is specifically with Pandora who can give things -WP flips and strip away construct/undead immunitys to terrifying. Other than that - despite all of his defensive abilitys, he's kindof squishy =\

mm. he's not brilliant. I just feel like he's a worse killjoy. His main benefit is specifically with Pandora who can give things -WP flips and strip away construct/undead immunitys to terrifying. Other than that - despite all of his defensive abilitys, he's kindof squishy =\

If I can ask, what do you like so much about Killjoy? from memory he and Teddy have similar statlines though I think KJ has better damage. But both have hard to wound and regen. Teddy has 8 or 9 wounds IIRC and is 3 SS cheaper. Plus he doesn't require a sacrifice. If I want :-fate I could bring a hanged around.

:feedback:

For one thing - he's squishy. 9HP isn't alot with things doing minimum 2 damage. However, the core reason I take him is that when I build a list, I want to have something to do with every suit, and he doesnt do anything with high masks, whereas Killjoy has onslaught. The difference in damage as a result of this is astronomical. Furthermore - eat your fill is better (At least in my oppinion) than regeneration. fuurrthermore. He's alot faster than Teddy - blood price gives him a free charge alot of the time. He can pop out of nowhere, and pretty much murders anything that isn't a master in one round of combat. Not to mention that he has Melee Expert as opposed to Flurry, so he isn't limited to one attack off a charge, annnd. Christ, the list goes on.

HOWEVER. That is not to say that teddy is without his merits. He's a construct to start with - which means that he's a viable target for Burnout. That in mind - in an SPA-heavy list, you can goad activations with other models, then drop a burnout on him, ram him into something, then reactivate and flurry. He's immune to influence - so I'd be highly tempted to play him against Zoradia, as Killjoy often turns out to be a really horrible idea against her as she just flaps around the board often killing more of my shit with him than I do hers. (Also, the fact that he can fly makes him even better suited to getting his hands on her). Also - another good point is that his death is far more useful than Killjoy's. Corpse Tokens are easy to get hold of, whereas Scrap Counters are far more difficult. Trading him with a couple models/just throwing him into the fray to abuse his terrifying isn't really a bad idea.

In short - they both have their uses. I've played with Killjoy alot, so I've grown accustomed to all of his benefits. I think the reason I havent explored Teddy that much is because I hate the model ^^ There are alot of situations where I'd probably want to use him over Killjoy, but as yet, untill I can think of a conversion where he doesn't look like a brick, I don't think I'm going to get round to doing so :P

Ambiguity aside - I do kindof agree. Running him with a bunch of Slow to Die models can often discourage opponents from killing them, at least until turn 4, where he has to be summoned or he gets bored and wanders off. If Killjoy is dropped in your turn, then the next thing to activate will be the opponent, but if he's summoned via slow to die, it's currently the opponent's activation, so when they finish, you move straight into Killjoy - so he gets to at least have a full round of beating on something before people really get to start focusing him down.

I'd presonally recommend against the hanged for Levi, sure, it's a good model - but it only really has any synergy with Seamus/Nicodem - it's buff to terrifying is nice, but it's real application shows when paired with the -2 WP aura that Seamus has (Along with his 4inch Terrifying 14 aura) or Nicodem, meaning that the model hit by it remains paralized for the rest of the game :P

I've been proxying a Canine Remains since picking up Leveticus, but now that I can actually pick them up properly I find myself up against the fact that I'm going to be newly facing off against Bete Noir when I'm fighting Resurrectionists.

This presents quite the problem with the sacrificing of the canine remains to create a corpse counter for Leve to create a second Waif from. Actually it also creates an issue with sacrificing Leve in general.

Just wondering what others are doing in this situation?

Against betty, I would -never- run her against Levi. If Levi gets a round of casting, he can quite happily trump her Df7 with an equal cast stat, and she only gets to vanish if she's killed - a single unnatural wasting puts her on 1HP, then Entropic Transformation gives you a free SPA. Let them summon her I say :P Just don't activate Levi before you kill it, and march it off ahead before you shoot it, so she doesn't get to start in melee. Worst that can happen is she drops sever spine and charges somebody, which at most will lose you a soulstone if she aims it at Levi.

Also - for perhaps the seventh time, the reason I'm all for Killjoy with Levi is suit coverage. Nothing else makes as good a use for Masks. Levi covers Ravens/Tomes, Alyce covers Rams, and Killjoy covers Masks. That way no high cards are dead to you - also, you have a long list of things that you can hire from the ressurectionists that have slow to die, which is almost manditory for playing Killjoy, and the nurses (my personal choice) double as a neat way to get things into casting range of Levi, who isn't exactly nippy. Fuurrthermore, if he runs low - you can happily feed him an errant hollow waif, or even in certain situations (Although traditionally I think this is a bad idea) use a waif/levi to summon him, as all you lose there is his surprize value. Which can be useful if your opponent is making an effort not to kill slow to die models until the end of turn four.

I have more reasons, but they're already up here in like four different places answering roughly the same question :P

Against betty, I would -never- run her against Levi. If Levi gets a round of casting, he can quite happily trump her Df7 with an equal cast stat, and she only gets to vanish if she's killed - a single unnatural wasting puts her on 1HP, then Entropic Transformation gives you a free SPA.

My biggest concern is that she can come in from Levi sacrificing himself and then activate next to hunt down the Hollow Waif. Although if she's replacing him then you should have already obtained a second HW. Yeah, not as bad, but still a potential right pain if she can be in amongst your crew on turn one - doesn't matter so much if she dies if shes taken a chunk of your crew with her.

and the nurses (my personal choice)

Nurses aren't Undead :(.

I ment belles - no idea why I said nurses. Wishful thinking I suppose :P Levi's the reason they aren't undead. Butyeah - the belles have lure to drag shit closer, and they have slow to die, which makes them perfect killjoy fodder.

Andyeah, I suppose. However - from the PoV of playing Seamus, I'd be wary of taking her, as I rather like her being able to recur, but she becomes a bit of a one-trick pony against Levi, as the second he gets a line on her she's an SPA. Hm. Unless she gets the initiative and vanishes, but that kindof loses her for that turn.. Hm. Well I suppose she's a viable option :P Not sure -what- I 'd play against Levi as Seamus tbh. I'd probably counterpick a different master :P

Edited by Omadon

• 2 weeks later...

Well it goes without saying that the Desolation Engine, Steampunk Abominations (either wait for official models or get some proxies in the meantime) and Hollow Waifs are all pretty much essential with Leveticus - you flat out NEED the Waifs and the SPA's are created by a few of his spells, and one of Alyce's.

BTW, as a follow up to a comment I made earlier in this thread - I've been running Flesh Constructs with Levi recently and they work really well with him. ;)

Aside from being able to automatically give them their Rend Flesh trigger via the +Cb:crows from Blessings of Desolation, he also usually has a crapola-load of cards to burn when you activate it. Also, because Leveticus can't keep hold of the Black Joker all game like other masters can, the Flesh Construct gives you a use for it - burn it when you activate the Construct to make it (+1)Fast for that turn. :D

As I say, it's performed well in the last few games I'm run one in, and for 14SS I might try a couple of them together at some point.

After kicking too much arse with Pandora I've just bought a few new crews, including a Levi Crew. :D Having browsed this thread, I borrowed one of the ideas here (mostly because I like the models ;) ) and went with this;

Leveticus

Rusty Alyce 8

Necropunk 3

Necropunk 3

Bete Noir 9

Canine Remains 2

No Hollow Waifs or SPA's yet, although I definitely need to proxy/buy both when I get the chance. :rolleyes:

The Flesh Construct looks like an excellent choice for Levi, so it's likely I'll be getting him later. He's cheap, tough and with a great :crows:crows trigger for blessings of desolation. And for some bizarre reason I even like the model. :confused:

By the way, could someone explain to me the main benefit of having canine remains? I figured as a graverobber he'd let me get a corpse counter whenever Levi dies or I could use him as a suicide dog to pull out Bete Noir, but now I'm hearing talk of turning him into a second hollow waif?

By the way, could someone explain to me the main benefit of having canine remains? I figured as a graverobber he'd let me get a corpse counter whenever Levi dies or I could use him as a suicide dog to pull out Bete Noir, but now I'm hearing talk of turning him into a second hollow waif?

The Canine Remains is a cheap utility model for Leve. It can do all kinds of stuff. If the situation doesn't look too amazing for Leve and his Hollow Waif you can make another one of the dog. Killing Leve and two Hollow Waifs in one turn might turn out to be rather hard for most enemies. Or make an extra Abomination out of him to pop out the Desolation Engine. It depends a lot on the crew your facing and how the game is going.

Or make an extra Abomination out of him to pop out the Desolation Engine. It depends a lot on the crew your facing and how the game is going.

Actually, this is one thing that you can't do IIRC. All the spells and triggers that create SPA's target enemy models or scrap counters - the Canine Remains is neither. Hell, if you want to make a Hollowed Waif out of it, you have to kill it first so that it's a corpse counter, otherwise you can't target it.

It's much more efficient, IMO, to use Leveticus's own corpse (from turn two onwards) to create the second Waif, which you'll need the dog for the counter drop. Also, I used the super-fast doggies last night to collect all the nearby corpse counters and give them to Leveticus, so that Seamus couldn't get his grubby hands on them and make more Belles - so that's another utility of them Vs Resurrectionists. ;)

--------------------------------------------

Back on the subject of Flesh Constructs, another trick you can do with them is to cast Burn Out on them with Alyce, since they're constructs. It means that your normally hard to kill models will be starting next turn with only a single wounds but if you want the offensive punch then it could be worth it.

Basically, it would get two activations to get into position and start making some attacks (aiming for Rend Flesh trigger so maybe put Blessings of Desolation on it too - then even it's most puny hit does 4Dg!!) and during the closing phase, you get another free attack (before Blessings expires) before next turn. That's a lot of damage potential, and possible master assassination stuff - which is worth the 7SS IMO. ;)

So far when i run Leveticus, i dont run A BALANCED FORCE. I generally favor lots of big hitters.. then again at this point i would rather smash face then win some times, if i happen to get a primary objective thats a bonus.. At 40ss i run...

Leveticus

Rusty Alice

SteamBorg Executioner

KillJoy

3 SteamPunk Abominations

So far this list has worked well for me with the exeption of when perdita obeyed killjoy and he ate alice's face :o

Actually, this is one thing that you can't do IIRC. All the spells and triggers that create SPA's target enemy models or scrap counters - the Canine Remains is neither. Hell, if you want to make a Hollowed Waif out of it, you have to kill it first so that it's a corpse counter, otherwise you can't target it.

It's much more efficient, IMO, to use Leveticus's own corpse (from turn two onwards) to create the second Waif, which you'll need the dog for the counter drop. Also, I used the super-fast doggies last night to collect all the nearby corpse counters and give them to Leveticus, so that Seamus couldn't get his grubby hands on them and make more Belles - so that's another utility of them Vs Resurrectionists. ;)

True, the killing part was somewhat obvious but I had forgotten that scrap counter thing about the SPAs. Sad. Collecting the corpse counters away sounds great though. Might have to try that with Nicodem too at some point...

I am hoping that Leveticus is going to be my second Master, so all this info is both good and bad, great to see various crews and strategies, bad that there are various crews and strategies. LOL As a newbie I may have to stick to my Viks for now hehe