Sonnia vs Perdita

paradox

So, a few weeks back I won a Sonnia boxed set. Still unopened, as I'm contemplating Perdita instead.

I currently own a justice set + executioner. I like that so far. In my contemplatings of how I'd expand to two masters, I was never super drawn to Sonnia, but I can't say as I'm partial to Perdita's sculpt (very frenchie-looking, what with her overly long torso and all).

So while I enjoy Sonnia's sculpt, I'm not terribly drawn to her rules. Df4 for one. At Df5, Justice is easy enough to hit for my tastes. Two, the whole fire thing I've done before (I'm a Menite player as well in WM).

I'm also not super stoked on the stalkers, but Samael looks like good fun. Conversly, the rest of the Ortega's look interesting (torso sillyness excepted). They also seem to provide that nice counterpoint to my melee-centric Jutice I've been running thus far.

Basically, I'm trying to decide to keep Sonnia and learn to love the set, or trade off for the Ortega's, who I originally had in mind.

Any particular thoughts?

I love Perdita. They are a very shooty list but several of the models can handle themselves very well in close combat.

They are a great box set to buy for any guild player.

Perdita is a great terrain ignoring master. Only Lilith beats her in the ability to be in the perfect position to hurt your enemy. And Lilith cheats(with her seeing through everthing rules). With Fast, a very high move and bullet bending there is no where an enemy model can hide from her. On top of that she has Obey, a great spell for making enemies do what you want or just getting an extra action out of your allies. And never forget the fun of execute. I really love her.

Now the rest of the gang. The Ortegas are great because other guildies can take just one or two to fill a roll they might be lacking.

Want a little extra melee punch for a cheap price, Fransicos your man

Want a model that can dish out damage but take it. Especially good for securing objectives. Then Santiago is your man. He is the freaking terminator

Nico is arguably the 2nd best sniper in the game and much cheaper for a guild crew then Hans. With a good card draw he can trigger happy just about anything to death in one activation

Papa Loco is just fun. He is a bit hard to master and keep him away from your own crew. But he can be devastating to your enemies.

That being said Sonnia is a great master as well, just not my favorite. Samael is a great model and a huge damage dealer. The Witchlings are fun but for near the points I would rather have death marshals.

Honestly I could just be mean and say buy them all. Its actually a lot of fun to see what guild models work together, especially once you start moving past the starter box themes.

I agree with everything Nilus posted, plus Perdita is just so hard to hit with her high defense. I thought that Sonnia would be my least fav of the Guild masters, but she's pretty brutal, the few games I've had with her she's been the biggest killer, well apart from Sammael who is just scary, so so scary, his damage output with flaming bullets and hitting a model with Ca6+ is brilliant, well brilliant for the Guild player anyways.

Heh, I dropped all my spare cash and bought everything thats out for the Guild, so I've been mixing and matching a bit. So Lady J and an executioner advancing with Nino shooting from behind them is pretty cool, love that trigger happy.

Although in my experience so far, I've found the Witchlings to be great, I'm even taking them over death marshalls with Lady J.

I have all three Guild crews, and honestly, right now Sonnia is my favorite. Her crew is very anti-magic, and while at first I thought she was a back-line master, she is really excellent in the front lines. Her ability to get into melee and not only deal damage, but heal and make her opponents discard cards, is key. Charging, popping Inferno and then either casting Flame Burst on models she's engaged with or Flame Wall so they take damage no matter what, is awesome. I was afraid to get her up close when I first started playing her, and I really think she's just so adaptive to situations that she's a no-brainer to me.

That said, I understand the Menoth fire similarities, but I love the sculpts, love the Stalkers. Her entire crew has Hunter, they ignore terrain movement penalties, they can cause negative flips on casting attempts, or Sonnia can outright cancel them, what's not to like?

Edited by Wulfen

Just gonna throw my hat in here and say...

Soniia

Purifying Flame

6x Witchling Stalkers (maybe not using all, but perhaps with the lucky odd model conversion mid-battle!)

Samael

Executioner

Papa Loco

The theme of my list is, BLOW $#!7 up. Blow it up again. Chop it up. Set it on fire. Then, maybe get a new mind slave out of it. Aesthetically and fluff-ily, the list makes tons of sense, being that it's also entirely inquisition-style, with a field executioner and even the crazy guy informant who leads them to their next quarry. I've had mixed success with it so far as I'm still learning all of Soniia's quirks, but I've seen similar lists devastate the battlefield, so I know it'll be great soon!

~J~

Wulfen makes a great point about the anti-magic abilities, being able to drop the ace of :tomes and cancel a spell is sweet, gotta love the look on your opponents face when it happens acouple of times, of course you need the cards and don't want triggers like headshot and that, but it's a great ability for when you really don't want that spell getting through.

Dude, how can you show love to Menoth and then say no to Fire? ;)

After almost seven years of burninating heretics... I'm just gonna keep that ball rolling myself. And Sonnia seems like the most balanced of the Guild Grrrrls. Her magic keeps her able to play the ranged game but her sword will still let her mix it up at close range. I'm all for the middle ground myself because I refuse to changed lists based on my opponent... I want to build a single force that can play through a tournament and I'm comfortable with. :)

Sonnia's Df of 4 is a touch low, but her sword and Inferno keeps her alive well enough. You shouldn't worry too much about that until later in the game. The rest of your models should present more tempting targets, or block LOS.

That said, the Ortegas are just fun. Even when you're not using the alpha strike, you have a lot of options. Loco is always fun, and he's a serious threat. Play him aggressively, and you'll do fine. Sometimes it's fun to just hit Santiago in the back to get him pissed off.

Sonnia's been my favorite master since the playtesting days, but if you're not feeling her, go for some Ortega action. Or proxy a few games with Ortegas and then make your decision.

• 2 weeks later...