Pando's 30ss tourney on 11-22-09 Bat Reps

paradox

OK, here's a shot at my bat reps for the event. It will probably be brief as I've gotten about a dozen games so far and that day is a bit of a blur at this point.

Game 1 vs John with Gremlins:

This was John's 2nd game (he learned to play the night before!). I'd never faced or even looked closely at them before, so neither of us knew what his army did! :lol: I had Treasure Hunt and he had Stake a Claim (I think?). We both took Hold Out as our scheme and both announced it (this was my tactic for the whole event, to allow me to maximize VPs. I wanted to try as many easy-button/break the system things I could). We had a ruins table with a LARGE ziggaraut and HUGE columns. Normal deployment zones.

Wow that's alot of models! This factor was something I wasn't prepared for and ultimately caujsed my to lose 2 VPs for my scheme. Too many targets, not enough time. My Judge and executioner moved up on the treasure while the death marshals provided cover fire and Justice flanked. His gremlins came over the ziggaraut while Jones and the Big Pig flanked toward the treasure.

Once the Judge grabbed the treasure, every gun in the swamp turned on him. He got shot up real good, then a flying piglet charged him and killed him! :o (this damned little pig was the MVP). A death marshal moved in and grabbed the treasure instead.

At this point I started firing in close and Justice got in the mix. The executioner decapped the Big Pig (softend up by early fire from the marshals) and healed up (he was almost dead). Justie hacked down most of the gremlins and the marshals dropped Jones with lots of fire.

This left Justice, executioner, and two marshals vs a flying piglet and a pig whisperer. The pig flew into my D-zone and rooted, which obliged me to run Justice into his.

So, 4-0 on VPs I won. I didn't have enough time to reach the piglet to shoot him down.

Game 2 vs Gordo (sorry! got the wrong name!) with Marcus.

I had Assassinate and he had Stake a Claim. We were in the swamps with corner deployment. I announced Hold Out. I don't recall his scheme.

He blazed out of his D-zone fast, getting in the scoring zone early. It took me awile to wind my forces around the tree stands to get a bead on him. The executioner was on point, followed by Judge and Justice. Marshals were flanking.

His Cerberus ate the executioner, who handed out some pain before dying. Justice moved in and killed the cat and the snake that followed. I popped some shots into Marcus and found out all about tunneling molemen + Marcus.

Marcus was tempted by a poisoned Justice in melee, so charged in. Sadly, Josh didn't know I was holding 3 high mask cards. Riposted to death.

After cleaning up Marcus, the cat and the snake, I made short work of Miranda and he surrendered. 6-0 VPs and wiped out (we didn't play it out, but I had my whole force sans executioner and he had two molemen).

Game 3 Vs Bowen with Lilith.

We both had Slaughter. I announced Hold Out, Bowen had kidnap but didn't announce it. Normal deployment

We were in a city area with a large open square in the middle. This made Bowne nervous. He advanced in fast and was poised to smash into me but hesitated. I dropped his two tatertots with opening shots. He sent in 1 mature, which the executioner killed, then the other turn later to die as well. I also managed to drop his totem.

This left lilith. Justice came forward and got a charge but flipped a black joker on damage. Lilith got one extra turn before dying.

6-0 on VPs and wiped out the enemy.

Game 4 vs Magno

We were on Bayou's edge with corner depliyment. Double Slaughter. I announced Hold Out. Don't recall his scheme.

The funny thing here was that I'd played Magno with the exact same lists the Tuesday, so this was a straightup rematch. So I knew he had Killjoy waiting to pop.

I brought the executioner and two marshls up the middle. Judge and a marshal on my right flank and Justice on the left. Judge, marshals and executioner converged and started firing at his samurai punks and belle. The judge killed a belle and executioner killed a punk. Justice emerged from the forest on the left and killed a steamborg guy, leaving her in easy threat range to Nicodem. Nicodem ate a double ram severe shot from a marshal, softening him up significantly. He couldn't escape Justice and the executioner. This left a punk, who died to emerge Killjoy. Surrounded, Killjoy didn't have enough space to do his work and shortly died.

I think he probably waited too long to pop Killjoy, but I don't know exactly how he works. Magno's heart wasn't in this fight after the early hits he took. I think he had a flashback to Tuesday night.

6-0 VPs and wiped out enemy.

This left me at 4-0 with 22 of 24 possible VPs. We were fairly sure I'd have 1st. I had no idea it went to SoS.

Because Bowen had to leave early, I had a weaker SoS and took 2nd to Godspeed.

Great fun was had though. Props to Pande and Matt for a nice event. Despite the fact that I have many suggestions on how competative Malifaux might be better, I think the event went off well. We all learned a great deal.

Edited by paradox
To get the right name for opponent two DOH!

For my first three matches my scheme was Bodyguard with straight deployments. Match 4 was corner deployments with really dense terrain.

I was at 14 VPs, you were at 16 VPs, so I'd of needed to beat you by two VPs to ensure I would overtake you on the leaderboard, and I would need all 6 VPs to ensure I had a shot at 1st vs Godspeed. We were playing Slaughter, I figured at first Hold Out would be better, but I should have stuck with Bodyguard as that would force you to meet me in the middle so to say.

Because LJ was running the edges and your forces were split, I probably should have poped Killjoy sooner, but I elected to save him till I could get closer to LJ. The bolstered Zombie punks I figured could handle the rest of your crew, but I hadn't reconned that the Executioner could heal all wounds on a Slow to Die move.

That was the moment that broke my spirit. I lost a Punk and Necro punk, and you were unwounded with a Judge, Executioner and LJ surrounding me. Killing everyone but LJ would have only gotten me 2 VPs, at best force a tie and you still stay ahead of me on the leader board.

VP leaderboard in Swiss style tourney is rarely ever going to materialize the top player. Not unless you crack out a nice equation for weighing the VPs you win vs your opponent's rating.