Brand new Vic player needs help

hollywoodf3

The convict gunslinger will do you well in many games, don't bring in Hans, unless you are at more than 35 stones as his 9 cost doesn't add that much untill you get to that point.

Depending on the army your fighting, Bishop may not be the best as he is strictly a melee guy, so it takes a while to get him into a killing position.

The Desolation Engine, is still one of the the big big guys (and I don't have my book on me so not sure he can be taken with the Viks) so don't look at taken the highly costed models unless your playing a game of at least 35 stones.

The Viks with a Soulstone Cache of 0 means you'll likely want to keep at least 2-3 stones, and taking a Ronin, you can have her commit Seppuku to provide a couple more if your in a pinch.

Edited by goblyn13

Can't run the Desolation with Viktorias as the Viktorias specify that they will only hire models with the mercenary trait.

Currently, that means:

Malifaux Child (totem)

Student of Conflict (totem)

Convict Gunslinger

Bishop

Hans

Misaki

Johan

Taelor

Ronin chicks

Hamelin

Killjoy

Ok thanks! 1st off Im sorry on my p**s poor spelling. "viktorias" and "ronin". check! So is it all meele with these chicks or what?? any lists people have been trying before i go out and spend $$$?

the best place to start for most masters is their respective box set. Not only because you essentially gain a free/discounted miniature.

the Vic box set brings the two Vics, Taelor, Johan and Bishop which isn't a bad start. The only things not currently available for Mercenaries are the two totems and ronin.

If you want shooting both the Gunslinger and Hans are pretty much your only option. If you dont' feel like putting down stones for Bishop Misaki isn't a bad deal she is able to use most any suit and is a tad bit cheaper. As an aside by taking misaki you also gain 3 extra stones that are very useful to just about any master.

The Viktoria crew is my favorite to play in the whole game - bar none. They provide a great balance in every way - physical power, decent range support, tricky order of operations with the girls.

There's a lot of fun when you're running Misaki, Bishop, and/or Ronin. They move so fast and have great spell and ability options.

hamelin can be great since he allows you to access any HT1 model... adding candy (9SS though) can be great! Kill joy should really almost never be used unless you sacrifice the totem - outcasts are too expensive!

I find Bishop hugely underwhelming. Hans at 8 is ok at 30SS but a touch too pricey at 25. The gunslinger is great. Taelor is just nasty! Misaki looks great on paper but i never have much luck with her spells...

I have yet to try the ronin but on paper they look great

see for me with the Viks, i have found...

Awesome - Taelor, Gunslinger, Ronin, hamelin

Average - Misaki, Johan, Hans

underwhelming - Bishop, Kill Joy

Taelor is relatively cheap, durable and very dangerous. The gunslinger is great for card control. The ronin is cheap bang for buck and can be used to revive a Vik if needs be. Hamelin is a great board control caster.

Misaki is good in melee but a touch to easy to drop. Johan is a cheaper less durable version of Taelor. Hans is a great threat but a little pricey and tends to deal very little damage.

Killjoy is to expensive to summon in a crew of expensive models (though hamelin plus a cheap gremlin can work). Bishop though is the worst... slow, low damage, expensive, hugely subjective to get any use from. While i own Bishop i have only used him a few times and have been underwhelmed each go...

Actually, I have found Killjoy to be very usefull. He scares the crap out of the opponent (despite not being terrifying) and so they focus a lot of attention on him - which either results in you being able to acomplish your stratgy without much opposition even though he dies, or Stitches (I mean Killjoy) kills everything that comes near him. I would never take him in a low ss game, but in higher number games - he is a beast.