RISE of DECEMBER - 30 point Scrap at RIW Hobbies - Livonia MI Dec 12

nerdelemental

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully this'll be the end of the big announcements.

I've got all the strategies in place ahead of time, including the unique strategy. Additionally, here's the replaced special events that affect every board and location throughout the day.

The intent is to provide the information ahead of time to give you an opportunity to plan your army composition accordingly as well as keep the event moving quickly and fluidly on the 12th.

These are subject to change as necessary, so keep that in mind before the event (I'll try to post any changes as they happen, as quickly as possible).

Addendum 3: Strategies Announced (both players play the same Strategy):

Game 1: Claim Jump

Game 2: There Must Have Been Some Magic in That Old Silk Hat They Found

* place a 30 mm Snowman token in the center of the board.

During deployment each player declares one of his models to be carrying a Magic Silk Hat. Any model carrying a Silk Hat also gains the following abilitites:

(1) Build Snowman: if no snowman is currently in play, this model may create one at the center point of the board.

(0) When they Placed it on His Head: interact with Snowman Token. Summon the Snowman. The Snowman tokengains the following stats and becomes friendly to the player placing the hat.

Wk/Ch: 4/6, Ht: 2, Wp: 5, Ca: 5, Df: 3, Wd: 5

Snowy Fist: Rg: 1melee, Cb: 4, Dg: 1/2/4

Victory Conditions: Score 4 VP if the Snowman is in the controlling player's deployment zone at the end of the game.

Score 2 VP if you control a Snowman but it is not in your deployment zone at the end of the game.

Game 3: Assassinate (with mandated unique Event: Snowball Fight [see below])

Game 4 (if neccessary): Slaughter

Addendum 4:

Each Location will have a replaced Special Event/Special Feature table unique to the Rise of December:

Black Joker: Flip two more cards

1-2: White-out! (see below!)

3-4: Heavy Snows (pg. 99)

5-7: Thick Snow (same as "Rubble" pg. 98)

8-9: Snowball Fight! (see below!)

10-11: An Open Fire... (same as "Campsite" pg. 98)

12-13: Cruel Winds (pg. 99)

Red Joker: On Thin Ice! (see below!)

White-out!

During the next turn, any portion of the table without a covering terrain piece counts as covering terrain, and models cannot draw LoS further than 3".

Snowball Fight!

During the next turn, no opposed duel may be initiated by any model other than "Throw Snowball."

Every model loses its basic weapons for the turn but gains the following:

Throw Snowball

Rg: :ranged6

Cb: 5

Dg: 0/0/1

Throw Snowball may be used in melee. During a Snowball Fight, all models may ignore harmless and any ability requiring a Wp check to target an opposing model.

A player gains +1 VP whenever one of their models inflicts damage upon an opposing model with a Throw Snowball strike.

On Thin Ice!

For the duration of the game, any portion of the table without a terrain piece counts as hazardous terrain (damage=2). Models may perform a Df -> 12 duel to ignore the hazardous condition.

Hopefully this'll be the end of the big announcements.

I've got all the strategies in place ahead of time, including the unique strategy. Additionally, here's the replaced special events that affect every board and location throughout the day.

The intent is to provide the information ahead of time to give you an opportunity to plan your army composition accordingly as well as keep the event moving quickly and fluidly on the 12th.

These are subject to change as necessary, so keep that in mind before the event (I'll try to post any changes as they happen, as quickly as possible).

Addendum 3: Strategies Announced (both players play the same Strategy):

Game 1: Claim Jump

Game 2: There Must Have Been Some Magic in That Old Silk Hat They Found

* place a 30 mm Snowman token in the center of the board.

During deployment each player declares one of his models to be carrying a Magic Silk Hat. Any model carrying a Silk Hat also gains the following abilitites:

(1) Build Snowman: if no snowman is currently in play, this model may create one at the center point of the board.

(0) When they Placed it on His Head: interact with Snowman Token. Summon the Snowman. The Snowman tokengains the following stats and becomes friendly to the player placing the hat.

Wk/Ch: 4/6, Ht: 2, Wp: 5, Ca: 5, Df: 3, Wd: 5

Snowy Fist: Rg: 1melee, Cb: 4, Dg: 1/2/4

Victory Conditions: Score 4 VP if the Snowman is in the controlling player's deployment zone at the end of the game.

Score 2 VP if you control a Snowman but it is not in your deployment zone at the end of the game.

Game 3: Assassinate (with mandated unique Event: Snowball Fight [see below])

Game 4 (if neccessary): Slaughter

Addendum 4:

Each Location will have a replaced Special Event/Special Feature table unique to the Rise of December:

Black Joker: Flip two more cards

1-2: White-out! (see below!)

3-4: Heavy Snows (pg. 99)

5-7: Thick Snow (same as "Rubble" pg. 98)

8-9: Snowball Fight! (see below!)

10-11: An Open Fire... (same as "Campsite" pg. 98)

12-13: Cruel Winds (pg. 99)

Red Joker: On Thin Ice! (see below!)

White-out!

During the next turn, any portion of the table without a covering terrain piece counts as covering terrain, and models cannot draw LoS further than 3".

Snowball Fight!

During the next turn, no opposed duel may be initiated by any model other than "Throw Snowball."

Every model loses its basic weapons for the turn but gains the following:

Throw Snowball

Rg: :ranged6

Cb: 5

Dg: 0/0/1

Throw Snowball may be used in melee. During a Snowball Fight, all models may ignore harmless and any ability requiring a Wp check to target an opposing model.

A player gains +1 VP whenever one of their models inflicts damage upon an opposing model with a Throw Snowball strike.

On Thin Ice!

For the duration of the game, any portion of the table without a terrain piece counts as hazardous terrain (damage=2). Models may perform a Df -> 12 duel to ignore the hazardous condition.

Bowen...this event looks awesome! I am very excited about it and me and the Jackson crew should be able to make it (though Bill is questionable due to work issues).

Excellent, Godspeed.

Here's another idea that I'd like some input on.

A lot of the locals have been complaining about certain schemes that are "auto-includes" such as Holdout.

Since every army has one faction specific scheme and five universal schemes, what do you all think of imposing a rule like this: "No scheme may be selected and used in consecutive games"

It would mean at least four schemes and they couldn't be used in back to back games.

On the other, maybe it's not worth caring about despite the discrepency.

Thoughts?

I dont think the schemes should be restricted. Even announced they are only worth two points. Not to mention its not just the schemes that can be unbalanced, some of the strategies can be easier or harder depending on Crew selection or faction choice.

In the end it is all part of the game.

Agreed! No rule regarding schemes! Play the game.

That being said, all of the strategies are announced at the end of the first post so armies can be built accordingly ahead of time if you wish, or at least a general concept of one.

I've made minor tweaks (to On Thin Ice, for example) and some rules additions and clarification (to The Silk Hat unique strategy).

As I receive questions or discover problems I hadn't thought about I'll bring it to your attention. Hopefully all the big stuff is out there for the public to digest before the event and we'll roll pretty fluidly the day of.

Cards flip at 12:30!

Edited by nerdelemental

For those keeping track at home, I made a slight change to the Special Events/Special Terrain in the first post. Moved some around and changed the Heavy Snows from a game-long Special Terrain to the more managable Special Event that occurs only on flips of 11+ (or is that a 10+? I don't have my book with me and can't remember...)

I'm making new terrain like a madman and even have my six year old helping me make some snowman models. :)

The game boards should look pretty good, I hope.

Godspeed, that's an important FAQ kind of question.

NO, it's just the Special Event I'm dictating for that game. You and your opponent still flip for it round by round. Some games might never see a snowball fight. Some might see it the majority of their rounds!

Probably good to get the fight as you can potentially rack up a ton of extra VP if you're willing to pitch solid cards on a good iceball to the face.