35ss list

Kaptain O

Sonnia

Samael

Executioner

Papa Loco

Convict Gunslinger

2*Witch Hunters

I have been considering this list and am starting to paint it up, all the models in the Ortega's boxed set seem really good so I have been thinking about sliding them in to my Sonnia list (makes me wonder why I don't just play ortega's though?). If I had another point I would sub out the convict for Nino or the other 7pt Ortega - I suppose I could get that from switching Papa to another Witch Hunter or a Death Marshal...

Death Marshals seem a little meh, in most cases I'd rather have a Witch Hunter - maybe I am just underestimating the pine box ability?

But Finish the Job is only on their melee strikes, sadly. It doesn't boost their ranged powers.

I like the DMs for their ability to stay alive longer than normal. Thanks to Hard to wound and Slow to Die, they can be a pain for opponents, and will usually take weak/mod damage from most blows.

The death marshals also do have critical strike on their peace bringers. Though I have to admit the more I use witchlings the more merit I see in them. Being pretty damn good with a CB of 6 means you defintely want them in combat. Where they become quite deadly if the enemy kills them they still take two damage.

I haven't really tried mixing the witch hunters yet as my group is still building up their crews. So far our biggest game is 25 as we slowly figure out what combinations we like to run.

what are everyone's experiences with papa loco?

I had a 30ss game last night

Sonnia

Samael

Santiago Ortega

Executioner

Witchling Stalker

Governor's Proxy

vs

Mcmourning

chihuahua

nurse

3*belles

mortician w/ circular saw

convict gunslinger

I pulled reconnoiter as my mission so I ended up leaving the stalker back in my own half of the table to make sure I could claim that table qtr and sent the rest of my force up the other side to try to claim both of them. The proxy worked out amazingly, my opponent had 3 belles so there was lots of Lure being thrown around but since my guys had between +7 and +10 on the WP check I was less than troubled by it.

Samael blew the mortician away and put some damage on mcmourning before dying, sonnia's flame burst was not very good on the hard to wound models but I did get 2 good bursts off on the clumped up nurse/belles. mcmourning and his summoned flesh golem put a hurting on sonnia, I did manage to kill both of them but sonnia had no soulstones left and 2 wounds so the convict gunslinger finished her off. The convict also got Executioner to 1 wound but thanks to love the job he ate a belle and went back to full.

Game ended turn 6, I had:

2vp from controlling 3 qtrs with Reconnoiter

2vp announced guild only scheme Raid!, 3 minions alive vs 1

1vp from hidden scheme Stake a Claim.

Opponent had 0vp

Failed Treasure Hunt

Failed Announced Scheme Army of the Dead

Failed Announced Scheme Hold Out

So good game for me I guess =P

Didn't get to see the Witchling Stalker in action as he passed all game, Santiago was good, but he should have been leading the charge instead of Samael, Samael did a bunch of damage but died.

Sonnia was good, her blast spell is very hit or miss and she doesn't really have a devastating attack and the hard to wound really put a dampener on the number of blast markers I threw out. Executioner was also a beatstick, I had been thinking of subbing him out for Nino, but he kept his spot.

Death Marshals seem a little meh, in most cases I'd rather have a Witch Hunter - maybe I am just underestimating the pine box ability?

Death Marshals seem meh when you look at them from a special ability stand point. But for 4 points you can't get a much better middle range combat unit(10 inch range guys). They have a decent ranged combat skill and with critical strike and a free ram can do a bit of damage.

I have found working them in teams of two, moving them up slowly across the board and keeping them in cover seems to keep them alive and doing damage.

They were rock stars in last nights game

My crew

Lady J

Santiago

Fransisco

Nino

2 Death Marshall

My opponent

Seamus

Sybelle

3 Belles

Copy Cat killer

Convict gunslinger.

I had treasure hunt, Hold out and Stake a claim(secret), Seamus's crew had Claim Jump, Body Guard, and Hold Out.

We were fighting in the mountains so the terrain had a lot of elevation, which is good for a shooty army. I got Nino in a nice high position and basically used him to harrass the Res(Making them blow cards to cheat and take a little damage). I moved the other Ortegas and Lady J up the middle to take go for the treasure and generally kick Seamus' ass. And I had the Marshalls move along the side to my claim and to prevent Hold Out.

In the end a lucky slow to die lure pulled my DM out of Seamus' deployment zone so he still got hold out. But I manage to wipe out his hole crew and get both my hold out and my stake a claim.

So I won 3 VP to 2. Neither of us managed to pull of our Strategy.

I am worried about that also but with an effective WP 9 I am not likely to fail a morale duel, especially once you factor in cheating and soulstones. If it becomes a problem I will stop using him, but it makes my guys so resilient to spells, Samael is wp7, the ortegas are wp10, executioner is 9 vs undead 7 otherwise, sonnia is 9.

Death Marshals seem meh when you look at them from a special ability stand point. But for 4 points you can't get a much better middle range combat unit(10 inch range guys). They have a decent ranged combat skill and with critical strike and a free ram can do a bit of damage.

And they just... keep... going. They're only 4ss, so no, they aren't gamewinners. But they always seem to last a turn or two longer than they should. Hard to Wound plus Slow to Die is good times, I say.