Hans - Underwhelming?

Kaptain O

Nice range but damage is so low that he just doesnt seem worthwhile. Headshot seems meh, I give up my damage and my opponent ditches their worst two cards. Unless I have some way to 100% focus on discard I think I'll have trouble getting a headshot to actually kill someone. Has anyone tried using the Convict suppresion fire to clear out their opponents hand? has anyone had much luck with it/him?

Yeah, I think Hans is all about the Headshot. Just wait till later in the turn, when your opponent might not have as many cards in hand. And like you said, the Convict Gunslinger really helps deplete that hand. Hans is a bit pricey, especially as a mercenary, but I think he's worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but rusty allice can be taken by any scavenger master, so Ramos can take her too, right?

But also, it is a rule that you can't take more than 2 mercs in a non outcast crew. So Ramos could take Allice, but couldn't take both Hans and the gunslinger as well, and levi can't take hans or the gunslinger.

Regardless, the more I take Hans, and the more I see him taken, the more I think that he's overcosted. Especially when taken as a merc by another faction.

My bad. I agrued he be costed down 2 and the up one point during testing... blame me on this one. :D

I found him quite effective however. As others have said it's a model you want to try and activate as late in the turn as you can get away with. This keeps the opponent from over cheating and running his hand dry. Certain army builds with active control and various discard abilities will be hurt more.

I agree that in smaller games as a merc, he may not be the best option. But at the +35ss I'll take him and smile as I shoot you in the head every turn with many different builds.

Plus, some characters may be niche fillers. He may not be the best value for his money, but I have a lot of fun annoying my opponent with headshots and custom bullets! If every character was completely efficient, then how would you decide what you would take? Everyone would play the same exact army...

Edited by Peterdita

Wow. So it seems that the consensus here is that Hans is not as useful as the Convict Gunslinger for crews that need a little extra ranged support. I realize the Gunslinger is pretty nasty, but Hans' abilities are pretty useful at times too. Is it just that he's overpriced in comparison?

i think the 2 main things against him are the +3ss cost over convict, and the fact the spell that makes him actually worthy is cast needing a 7 of rams or better. almost always better to go w/ the cheaper and more reliable model.