Pandora -v- Nico 1st timer batrep

ork56

after having had a short intro to the game and my rulebook only arriving a couple of hours earlier, I played my first proper game against Loxam last night.

Straight out-of-the-box scrap on a 3'x3'

He picked slaughter for Pandora, with Nico going for Reconnoitre; not pleased with that as my spread out force would be easy to pick off.

other than sending one punk out alone on a mission to grab quarters I tried to keep the crew within Nicos aura giving +2Cb/Df and throwing out a fog just in case Pandora had any long range stuff.

She then advanced behind Candy and Kade, with P and C linked to sorrows.

Kade dragged a punk over to smack about, but failed to kill. one flurry later and Kade was a dead baby.

Pandora then started to play havoc with my sequencing using entice and dementia to good effect. It really can be a pita when the opposition knows exactly who you will move and when. The opposed Wp duels causing 1Wd also leached away some of my strength.

I continued to run a punk up the board and Mort, under entice, I decided to move away for table quarters or possibly pincer movement if needed.

Nico made good use of decay against the other punks to catch Candy and a sorrow with the blasts.

More attrition from pandora with me losing Wds to Wp duels and also cutting myself due to her spell - thats really not playing fair. ( on a side note to this, the spell causes you to take weak damage from one of your weapons - so we didnt use the 'paired' rule on the damage flip - is this correct?)

3 of my models suffered under the dementia spell, meaning they had to activate last - how can 3 all be last? we played that those 3 must be last, but could be in any order between them.

Nico tried to cast decay to heal a punk from 5 back to 3Wd, hitting Candy with the blast. His further decay on the last sorrow missed,shame cos this would have hit Pandora too.

The punk that was suffering 5 Wd after killing Kade charged Candy, killing her and allowing the other punk who was now free to charge the sorrow and promptly killed it in one hit with severe damage.

pandora was alone and a new turn started, this should be game over.

However, I havent mentioned her ability to move 4" every time she wins a Wp duel, which she does a lot against grunts, skipping away from whirling katanas and bad hair-dos whilst inflicting small jabs of pain. What handful she is.

Having managed to get away from the nearest punk and she dropped one with WP duel then wiped the other with the self-inflicting damage plus a Wp for good measure.

Then it was Nicos turn, he was on 1 Wd of 12 and with a punk and Mort having an awayday grabbing table quarters the big man would have to do this himself. Easy, or so I thought....

Having equal Wp to Pandora it should be 50/50 that the test to beat Wp to target her would eventually go my way - no such luck. I burned through 6 Wd in losing duels trying to get the right to target her. But two Decays got through and finished her off - I wish slaughter had been my scheme.

Great game and with so many interactions for a small number of minis it was crazy. Having recently been playing WM/H I am used to buffs on buffs, but this was another level. Also used to play Confrontation, where each mini meant so much more than being just a grunt. Malifaux expands that even more.

One of many queries that came up was Pandoras Wp duel to target her. If Nico wants to cast a spell, the duel is fought first, if N loses, does he also lose the ap that the spell would have cost if he tried to cast it? - we played no; as he enver even gets up the courage to start casting. this meant that I was taking wounds for each failed duel, so that seemed a fair balance in game terms. Also, the 4" move after a succesful duel for pandora - is that only when she starts the duel as part of a dementia/entice attack? or does she get to move 4" after every successful duel as either attacker or defender?

A last question, can you do (0) actions as many times as you like in an activation?

thanks for listening, hoping for answers

One of many queries that came up was Pandoras Wp duel to target her. If Nico wants to cast a spell, the duel is fought first, if N loses, does he also lose the ap that the spell would have cost if he tried to cast it? - we played no; as he enver even gets up the courage to start casting. this meant that I was taking wounds for each failed duel, so that seemed a fair balance in game terms.

He would lose the AP.

Also, the 4" move after a succesful duel for pandora - is that only when she starts the duel as part of a dementia/entice attack? or does she get to move 4" after every successful duel as either attacker or defender?

After every Wp duel she wins, she can move.

A last question, can you do (0) actions as many times as you like in an activation?

No. You may only perform 1 (0) action per activation unless the rules state other wise. (Pg 44 of your book)

:)

Edited by WEiRD sKeTCH

yeah, thats one aspect of Nico I didnt use, beacuse I dont have any zombie proxies (honestly!)

what do people recommend?

plastic multi-part ones for cheap and cheerful, as they are only counters?

wyrd impaired to keep the sculpting style and size the same

modern horror or fantasy horror (RAFM or GW)?

yeah, thats one aspect of Nico I didnt use, beacuse I dont have any zombie proxies (honestly!)

what do people recommend?

plastic multi-part ones for cheap and cheerful, as they are only counters?

wyrd impaired to keep the sculpting style and size the same

modern horror or fantasy horror (RAFM or GW)?

If you want to use actual minis, the best value is definitely the WF zombies: 24 zombies for $18! they are a little small compared to Wyrd minis, but they are cheap. Another method would to just use 30mm bases as "counters" until the official minis are released. (Even cheaper than the WF zombies, but less aesthetically pleasing.)

• 2 weeks later...