Quit yer belly achin!

Superskull666

Ok so a freind and I have created a decent buzz about this game and have nabbed a decent size play group in the process. Most of them being veteran 40k and WM players. I run lylith and as many terror tots as SS level will allow. Barring my pal who runs perdita and raspy the rest of the group grumbles everytime I plop her on the table.

Their biggest complaint is the mass card cycling I can manage and speed of my disposable heavy hitting babies, and the lack of dice. They still have not realized that the card system is far less fickle than dice and when you need something to happen you can actually almost insure it does with fate cheating and burning SS.

I As a veteran V:tes player I know how strong the ability to be able to dial a hand can be i.e primordial magic and doppleganger. I guess this boils down to my question. Besides what I am doing with my own army how do I show these gentlemen the virtue of card cycleing? They clutch their cards like retired factory workers clutch dollars. If they don't use them they will lose but they are terriied to do so. It's really starting to bug me as I burn through mine like a rockstar burns 100 dollar bills.

Switch crews with them for a game or two. start showing them how to throw out those cards and when to cheat with their own crews. they'll start to get it. And once they do, the light will not come on with a dimmer switch. it will be night and day.

Switch Masters yourself, as well. Show them why they want to cheat down in some situations to get off a trigger. When I play with Marcus, I cheat Wild Heart quite often, even though I only need a 3+ of any suit. I'll happily replace an off-suit 7 with a 4:malitomes because it gets me another ability. If you're not going to change the Fate result for a duel, replacing an 8:malicrows with a 6:malirams is almost always a better situation with a Guild model because of the plethora of :malirams triggers there.

Also, don't pick on them. if you are running 8 tts against someone with a box ramos list, they are going to get discouraged. run the Lilith box against them (or any other starter box), maybe you won't win as much at first, but it will help them learn and want to pick up more models. That will make them better players with better lists (and are better at cheating) and THEN you can run the TT list o doom!

{snip}Barring my pal who runs perdita and raspy the rest of the group grumbles everytime I plop her on the table. {snip}

Play something that doesn't make them grumble. When you're playing a game, there is some responsibility in making sure your opponent is having fun. If he's not having fun playing you or your list, he's not going to like the game and he's not going to want to play with you, again.

alright, public service announcement:

No I just got my book yesterday and I am trying to abuse the rules as much as feasable.

was a quote literally 2 threads up... you will drive these people away from the game by trying to abuse rules right off the bat. even if some come from war machine which is cheese on cheese, wait until everyone is fluid in the game at least before trying to break em....

(not trying to be an ass... just tossing out honest advice)

When doing a demo game it's always better to let the new guy win! Nothing gets someone interested in a game easier than letting them feel like they have a good grasp of the mechanics and game strategies. Once they start playing a little harder you can increase the complexity and competitiveness of your list. It's like training wheels for gamers, you don't want to scare them off before they're confident.