Bete Noire: what does she look like?

Werecat

So, I've been looking into possible proxy models until the correct ones come out. I've got the Canine Remains and Mindless Zombies pegged easy, but I really want to find a proxy for Bete. So, can any of you Wyrd guys give me a general idea of what she looks like? Any general direction would be greatly appreciated!

AFAIK, none of the artwork in the book is of actual characters... more just "some random schmuck in Malifaux". Stats for a female Res master (like the pic mentioned above) were tossed around a while back, there's a thread around here somewhere...

Back on topic: I am thinking of using the Freebooter female assassin as a Bete Noir proxy:

ASS003_1.jpg

I might do a little conversion work and add some mist/shadows/etc.. around her for sort of a "one with night"/ghostly phantom theme.

Also, follow up question: Can anyone who has a solid understanding of linguistics fill me in on how to pronounce Bete Noire? ;)

"bet new-R" is the easiest way to get close using English syllables.

In theory, this link will play it for you as an audio file.

Also, if not painted like a vampire, Lenora from Gamezone might make a good choice. I feel like she should have some flowiness, but be distinctly female and inhuman at the same time. I might even go for something a little more bestial if there's something out there with flowing robes and claws.

product_47215.jpg

Edited by PhoenixEnvy

"bet new-R" is the easiest way to get close using English syllables.

In theory, this link will play it for you as an audio file.

Also, if not painted like a vampire, Lenora from Gamezone might make a good choice. I feel like she should have some flowiness, but be distinctly female and inhuman at the same time. I might even go for something a little more bestial if there's something out there with flowing robes and claws.

product_47215.jpg

Bete Noire is french for Black Betty isn't it ?

And it's escaping me at the moment, but Black Betty is a cultural reference to .... something. .... in america, isn't it?

I may be off base with either / both of those there, but my spidey sense is tingling. :D

Love the freebooter proxy, btw! May have to pick one of those up for use in my leve lists for Bete!

Just checked - its french for "black beast".

I know its unlikely, but i hope that the concept art of the pale ressi chick behind the grave in the book ends up being black betty. I think that would be somehow fitting rather than a slavering rotting monster. :) More like a serial killer born of nightmares rather than a monster. :)

Edited by Haight

Calling Bete Noire Black Betty was a bit of an in joke for a while. Noire means dark or black and Bete visually looks a lot like the word Betty.

In reality Bete means "beast" in french and so together the words might be "Dark Beast." That is the literal interpretation of the words but the phrase, according to Dictionary.com means:

bête noire

[beyt nwahr]

–noun, a person or thing especially disliked or dreaded; bane; bugbear.

Origin:

1835–45; < F: lit., black beastthinsp.png

It can often mean a dark thought or sinister idea, as well.

From Wikipedia:

"

"Black Betty" (Roud 11668) is a 20th century African-American work song often credited to Huddie "Lead Belly" Ledbetter as the author, though the earliest recordings are not by him. Some sources claim it is one of Lead Belly's many adaptations of earlier folk material;[1] in this case an 18th century marching cadence about a flint-lock rifle.

The origin and meaning of the lyrics are subject to debate. Some sources claim the song is derived from an 18th century marching cadence about a flint-lock musket with a black painted stock; the "bam-ba-lam" lyric referring to the sound of the gunfire. Soldiers in the field were said to be "hugging Black Betty". In this interpretation, the rifle was superseded by its "child", a rifle with an unpainted walnut stock known as a "Brown Bess".[7]

The earliest meaning of "Black Betty" in the United States (from at least 1827) was a liquor bottle.[8][9] In January 1736, Benjamin Franklin published The Drinker's Dictionary in the Pennsylvania Gazette offering 228 round-about phrases for being drunk. One of those phrases is "He's kiss'd black Betty."[10][11]

David Hackett Fischer, in his book Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America (Oxford University Press, 1989), states that "Black Betty" was a common term for a bottle of whiskey in the borderlands of northern England/southern Scotland, and later in the backcountry areas of the eastern United States.

In an interview[12] conducted by Alan Lomax with a former prisoner of the Texas penal farm named Doc Reese (aka "Big Head"), Reese stated that the term "Black Betty" was used by prisoners to refer to the "Black Maria" — the penitentiary transfer wagon."

So, not anything that would be specifically associated with Bete Noire. But I fully support the nic-name of black betty. We might as well get the weirdo nicnames in this game like Junior, Abel, Gaspy, all that good stuff :)