Res combo

Sushicaddy

ok, lemmie be sure this works like this, I just got the book today, and have been perusing the Ressurectionists, to see which master I would like to start my Mx days with, when I came upon this combo.... It seems pretty disgusting to me.

25ss

Mcm (gives most amount of SS, but really doesn't matter)

Zombie Chihuahua

Nurse

Bete Noire

Canine remains x 5

ss cache = 6

ok here it goes, the multiple Canine remains is so that you use this combo after all of the opponents models have activated.

Nurse - uses furious casting, discarding a control card, and gives a Canine that has NOT activated yet 3 massive doses, one of each of Painkillers, Speed, and Stimulant. at needing a 6+ a flip should do it most of the time, but you can cheat fate to make sure if one fails.

Canine walks 16", then reactivates and walks another 16". at 32" of walking, and cannot be killed, he is sure to get where ever you want, hopefully right next to the opposing master, or whatever high-threat enemy you please.

Canine is sacrificed due to Painkilers (normally it would be at the start of the control phase, but painkillers sacrifices at next activation, which was the reactivation this turn), and Bete Noire comes in in his place right next to the high threat enemy. She then Casts depraved tactics on herself and flurries with her paired knives. If that doesn't kill the enemy, you can always hope for winning initiative to flurry again. If she does kill the enemy, and it is living, you gain fast, and you can always hope to get "one with the night" off (you are probably out of control cards at this point) to disappear and escape your opponents righteous retribution.

But anyway, this seems like an AWESOME way to get Bete Noire in for the kill. did I miss anything?

Edited by Sushicaddy

Gonna need to drop a Canine remain. You have 26 points spent there.

Remember that the Masters Cache is only for Stones during the game, they can not be used to recruit crew with.

Also RE Massive dose.. Check out Painkiller again. Its kills the model at the end of its next activation. Which means you activate it and then it dies. You would not be able to then reactivate it.

During the playtest all three doses actually lasted till the closing phase, which made it way to powerful. Having Painkiller kill at the end of the activation solved the problem.

Edited by nilus

Gonna need to drop a Canine remain. You have 26 points spent there.

Remember that the Masters Cache is only for Stones during the game, they can not be used to recruit crew with.

Ah, yes, I will edit... thanks for the clarification, but if I am not incorrect, that is still a relaively large number of models at 25ss?

Ah, yes, I will edit... thanks for the clarification, but if I am not incorrect, that is still a relaively large number of models at 25ss?

Yeah it is, but I edited my post above as well. You are misreading how Painkiller works. The dogs next activation will be its first activation in the turn, thus it will die before it can reactivate.

Still Dog Bombs are handy tricks to use, they just are not that cool.

One small flaw with this idea. Each time you cast the spell, it cost 1 AP. Since you only get 2 per nurse, unless you dump the dog on your nurses lap, then you've only got 1 spell you can cast (one of the AP is spent getting to the dog, and it requires 2 SP to do the Furious Casting).

Now, some good news for you. If I've read the book right, you may be able to get Bette off at 38". How, you ask? Simple. It states under summoning that when the mini is summoned, it appears anywhere within 6" of the summoner. Since I'm assuming (yeah, I know) that the death is the summoner, then you can place her up to 6" in any direction as long as it is within those 6". Now what really bothers me is this. a 3' by 3' table, the farthest a mini can be from another is 36" Last I checked, 38" > 36"

Also RE Massive dose.. Check out Painkiller again. Its kills the model at the end of its next activation. Which means you activate it and then it dies. You would not be able to then reactivate it.

Ah yes... forgot that the dog would die at the end of its activation - good catch. (At least you still could get a nice 16'' range within which to summon Bete Noir... :D )

Yeah it is, but I edited my post above as well. You are misreading how Painkiller works. The dogs next activation will be its first activation in the turn, thus it will die before it can reactivate.

Still Dog Bombs are handy tricks to use, they just are not that cool.

Hmmm... I assumed that if it were like that it would read "dies at the end of it's activation".

In a normal situation then, how would painkiller be of any use? it would have had to already have acted, be in some danger, yet still alive, then could recive the massive dose, then gets one round to act? I thought that because of it's intrinsically defensive nature the intent of the spell if to give it to a model, move the model to be in contect with something high threat. the high threat mode must try to disengage (hopefully failing) to do anything the next round. Then fater it's next activation it dies.

Could we get some official clarification? It's not that I don't belive you, you have a very good point, I would just like to know for sure.

Does "Next activation" mean after the models activation this turn, or next activation following it's activation this turn.

22" is still not too shabby though.

oh, yeah, this combo IS assuming that the dog is 2" away from the nurse at the start of her activation, at 38" threat range, just set up that way first turn, then go to town (BOO!). at 22" threat range, it becomes more difficult to set up, but not impossible, just a needing a little planning and forethought.

Honestly nilus, I'm hoping your interpretation is the correct one (it probably is) because first turn, 38" Bete Noire, dead master isn't very much fun. Planning, and setup, 22" dog bomb, though.... that is kinda cool.

EDIT: reading it over again... you MUST be right. The other reading doesn't really make sense. Thanks for the clarification!

Edited by Sushicaddy

Just activate the dog last and then he doesn't need to have painkiller cast on him.

My question is with Bete Noire.... Does she come back ver time something dies? or just the first thing!?

the thing is, I WANT the dog to die, that makes Bete Noire pop out before the end phase, because if she comes in at the end of the phase, she has to wait until the next round to act, and if she must do that, and loses the iniflip, she's dead meat.

she can be placed within 6" of a living or undead model that is killed.

and, thinking about it, Speed still has a place in this combo.

follow me here,

1. a high ss cost model you want dead comes within 22" of the nurse (not acted yet)

2. after all opponents have acted, move a dog within 2" of nurse.

3. nurse uses furios casting on dog, and hits it with painkillers, speed and stimulant

4. dog moves 16" and immediatly dies

5. Bete Noire pops out within 6" of the dead dog

6. Bete Noire casts depraved tactis on herself

7. Bete noir flurries against target

I think Khail has a point. Unless some errata has changed the wording it doesn't say bete noire is summoned. She replaces the killed/sacked model so I imagine that means she is in its exact location but on the positive side not slowed. I think it has a longer than 22" range. If canine makes two move actions and makes two more move actions before being sacrificed it will have moved 32". Wait, maybe you've made a typo and you meant 32 not 22. my bad

Edited by sprue

This was already discussed. If you use painkillers, the dog dies at the end of it's next activation. So it uses its activations to move 12 with Stimiulant, then immediately dies. It does not get to reactivate with Speed. So 12 is the max you can use, unless you want to use speed instead of Painkillers, which would get the dog way out there, but it wouldn't die till the closing phase. So like Sushicaddy already pointed out, she wouldn't have a chance to go, and would have to wait till next turn. And if you lose initiative, that's bad news for bete.

you know, this might just be a good list in general if you use Nico... he can buff the canines to the point they are dangerous on their own, and when one dies, he can turn that into a mindless undead, or if the control hand is right, turn the corpse counter into something more useful, like a punk zombie... Bete becomes def 9 when buffed by him, and a nursed dog + Nico buff has a cb of 10... not too shabby for a 2 ss minion. lots of options and mobility coupled with multiple models and ability to make more (though somewhat limited). give nico the grave spirit and he is aror 2 hard to wound 1, which gives him a lot of suvivability (the only one in this list though).

pro's- mobility, damage

cons - relys on supporting models, no model has alot of Wp. (3 for dogs, 4 for Bete... scary)

you can also add in Killjoy at higher ss games, who can give your models sacrifice (1), at that point your dogs with speed and stimulant can sacrifice themselves to bring in BOTH killjoy and bete, also if you get two other dogs in range of the big bad you want to kill it is -2 def, which makes killjoy up to a cb11 and bete up to a cb 10 with nico's buff.

dog, 16" move, reactivate, 8" move, sac, bete+killjoy come in, do some killing, 1 strike from KJ, 3 from Bete. ouch!