New guy here have questions about Mcmourning and a crew.

whitekong

Hey guys I am just thinking about getting started and I love the Mcmourning model. Just wondering if I should buy the starter or just go with individual figs, I don't really care for the nurse models are they a must have? I like some of the other figs better, can I use Mortimer without using nicodem? Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Hey, whitekong!

There's no requirement that you field the Nurses with McMourning, or for that matter any models with the Master that they happen to share a boxed set with. In some cases they're chosen because of a specific synergy, like McMourning can create a Flesh Construct. In other cases, it's sort of coincidental because they have to be split somehow. Same deal the other way, Mortimer can be used with any other Resurrectionist Master, he's not glued to Nicodem.

If you don't want any Nurses, than I'd probably get McMourning and the Flesh Construct as solo models and then pick out some other undead to fill the points gap. So maybe Punk Zombies, or Necropunks, or even a 2nd Flesh Construct - although I'd recommend getting at least some little guys so you aren't outnumbered all the time. Keep in mind that in an alternating activation game being outnumbered also means having less control over activation order than your opponent does, although a small number of elites does give you more alpha-strike capability.

Hey Dbo whats up? thanks for the quick reply,how long have you been playing malifaux ?

I got the book a couple weeks ago. Haven't gotten to play against an opponent yet, just some proxy games at home to help learn the rules and narrow down which Masters I'm interested in.

Probably going to place an order soon for Lilith, Pandora, and somebody from another faction to demo against them. So far I kind of like Nicodem, Rasputina, Teeth, and maybe Sonnia or Perdita but I haven't tried them out yet.

One of the things are going to want to keep in mind is if you are going to take Sebastian or Mort in your list. Sebastian has abilities that mirros McM, while Mort is decent for either Nico or McM. Both can summon undead but Seb is limited to just undead dogs and Mort is anything non-spirit or unique with a cost of 4 or less. So you will never be able summon Punk Zombies, Hanged men, and a few other unique undeads in the game with this list so that may limit what you want. I am currently finding myself wanting more necropunks and I will probly buy at least 4 undead dogs when they come. I believe you will need at least 2 flesh construncts, maybe a 3rd one.

Just a word of advice, I would actually make your list not having any constructs. As that and dogs are the only 2 things you can summon with McMourning, I'd include things he can't summon and would augment him well.

A 35 point list I think would do well is:

McMourning

Grave Spirit

Sebastien

Bete Noir

Rotten Belles x3

Zombie Punk

Use the Belles to chain lure a model way over to you, then kill it to bring out the mighty Bete Noir.

Have Sebastion use Gather Body Parts then next turn give them to McM to bring up a flesh contruct.

Bete Noir is a complete beast, with Df7 and the ability to rebury when she dies is amazing, just make sure you hold onto a card to get that spell off.

The Grave Sprit can attach to McMourning letting him get into the thick of it and be harder to skill with Armor 2, he also can't be hit with ranged or magic attacks which is great.

Just a word of advice, I would actually make your list not having any constructs. As that and dogs are the only 2 things you can summon with McMourning, I'd include things he can't summon and would augment him well.

A 35 point list I think would do well is:

McMourning

Grave Spirit

Sebastien

Bete Noir

Rotten Belles x3

Zombie Punk

Use the Belles to chain lure a model way over to you, then kill it to bring out the mighty Bete Noir.

Have Sebastion use Gather Body Parts then next turn give them to McM to bring up a flesh contruct.

Bete Noir is a complete beast, with Df7 and the ability to rebury when she dies is amazing, just make sure you hold onto a card to get that spell off.

The Grave Sprit can attach to McMourning letting him get into the thick of it and be harder to skill with Armor 2, he also can't be hit with ranged or magic attacks which is great.

I love McMourning he's one of my two favorite masters in the game (Him and levi) and I think you can do some cool stuff with him (I worked A LOT with him in the beta to make it that way).

I'm quoting this guy because it's quoted for truth. That army list is fantastic for Mcmourning and very close to my own. Only difference is I often drop 1 belle/the gravespirit for his totem and another punk zombie. Though both are good options. I find 3x belles has some problems v armies that can deal with lure and thus drop one for more solid attrition units (AKA, the Punk zombie).

Also one quick note. Mcmourning can't gain the army from the grave spirit. Undead only sadly (Or it'd be kinda broken to be honest)

• 2 weeks later...