New Errata, What are you going to do?

Chase

My only issue is what has been stated, the rules are scattered through all the fluff, and while this is normal in the WarMac supplemental books, in the core rules the fluff is concentrated in a few areas. I hope future printings might consider moving the fluff two a chunk in the front (before the rules) a chunk in the middle (before Factions), and a chunk at the end (after faction but before handy tables, glossary, and index). That way the relevant items -rules and factions can be scanned quickly.

Just wanted to chime in here to respectfully disagree with greyseerco. I'm actually incredibly fond of the way the current rules have been laid out. First because it made for a very pleasant reading experience for me (I don't like reading massive chunks of rules, so I appreciated the breaking up). And second because I now find it very easy to find the section I'm looking for quickly -- each bit (combat, magic, whatever) is very well separated from each other bit.

Of course, everyone's going to have different opinions on this. Can't please everyone, I suppose!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I *love* the layout. And I had nothing what-so-ever to do with it so I feel free to gush about it all day long. I was blown away by the simplest things in that book - almost all of it the strategic placement of fluff to rules to stats to reminder/explanation text. The artwork then blew me away again. Then the raw fluff blew me away. It seems like a beautiful book that I'm proud of. When I have a new player looking at our game, I have no hesitation at all to hand him the book to look through and I even have a few pages I sometimes point out and say, "Take a looks at these."

Typos are forgivable, even if they impact the game (incorrect stats or wounds) as long as they get fixed quickly and decisively and are available clearly to everyone.

Clarification is to be expected from any game. Not only will intent need to be more clearly defined in tight language for the lawyers, but the sheer space available hinders the ability to go into lengthy diatribes regarding the intent and some of that needs to just get handled and accepted.

Errata? That's unfortunate. It always is. The more games you acquire the more you come to expect it rather than cringe at it. So many more eyes can see something in a different light than the playtest. And during a playtest stats and abilities often change so radically and sometimes so quickly that it compounds the inability to catch everything. Some times it looks like a rule was made in the attempt to simplify an issue only need an errata because of some other, not thought of odd connection to that thing opened a different and unexpected loophole.

Well, I started this post to say that I love my book. The only thing I'd change is to give mine a hardcover so it'll last longer. I already have the corners bending from going in and out of my army transport and it'll only get worse. I suppose I'll be okay. When it's tattered, I'll love it all the more and just go buy a new copy. :)

Just wanted to chime in here to respectfully disagree with greyseerco. I'm actually incredibly fond of the way the current rules have been laid out. First because it made for a very pleasant reading experience for me (I don't like reading massive chunks of rules, so I appreciated the breaking up). And second because I now find it very easy to find the section I'm looking for quickly -- each bit (combat, magic, whatever) is very well separated from each other bit.

Let's use the previous Blast reference as an example. If you want to see how Blasts work, your first inclination would be to look it up in the 'index'. The index entry gives the definition of what a blast is, but not how it's actually works. It refers you to page 25 for the game mechanics on how it works.

Let's now flip to Page 25. Here we find the definition of the blast once again, and rules for how the markers are placed. But it doesn't give any information about how the damage is resolved. Does a model covered by more than one of the blast markers suffer damage multiple times? Even if it was the model that was directly hit by the attack?

Having read through the book, and played several games, we all know the answer to this. However for those new to the game, it's not clear. It also gives no easy indication of where to look for the rest of the rules for how to handle blast markers. You actually have to go searching through the book to find them, on page 56; something that can really slow a game down if you have to stop in the middle of a turn to spend time searching for rules and mechanics.

Yes, I admit I was a bit harsh in my initial post about the book. I love the fluff and the artwork. But you have to admit that there were issues with the book and that there's definite room for improvement for any 'revised' edition.