New Errata, What are you going to do?

Chase

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really.

It actually makes Sebastian much more useful now, as his spell "Gather Body Parts" is now much more valuable.

The only thing I wish is that Mortimer's Exhume was like that spell, where I cast it and get a corpse token. Sure it is easier to cast but considering I only have a 1/4th chance to get a corpse even if I cast it is kind of crap. Not only that, but I can only cast it once a turn, that way I have a decent chance to get a corpse. Remove the once a turn restriction or either that or make it more difficult to cast and give me a guaranteed corpse

Not really.

It actually makes Sebastian much more useful now, as his spell "Gather Body Parts" is now much more valuable.

The only thing I wish is that Mortimer's Exhume was like that spell, where I cast it and get a corpse token. Sure it is easier to cast but considering I only have a 1/4th chance to get a corpse even if I cast it is kind of crap. Not only that, but I can only cast it once a turn, that way I have a decent chance to get a corpse. Remove the once a turn restriction or either that or make it more difficult to cast and give me a guaranteed corpse

You could always save low :malicrows cards and cheat.

You could always save low :malicrows cards and cheat.

That brings up an interesting question(might need an Eric level answer on this). Exume requires you(after you succeed) to flip a card and if its Crows you get the corpse token. I had always assumed that second flip was uncheatable. But maybe I was wrong.

Can anyone either site a rules example or give an official yeah or nay on whether you can cheat that or not.

I thought of it as un-cheatable as well. I don't think it really hurts McM at all, but i just bought all my Nicodem stuff last Tuesday. I'm thinking of Nicodem and 7 Punk Zombies.

Another thing is against Neverborn you won't see any counters, and against archanists most models will be constructs. I could be wrong about that though.

I didn't think Mortimer's Exhume flip was cheatable either.

Though, this changes the way I'll play Nicodem now. Instead of Nicodem searching turn one, I can advance up a bit, drop the Fog, Bloster Undead, and if Mortimer is lucky create a new Punk Zombie. I still think Nicodem is a great and powerful master, just creating mindless zombies earlier in the gamewill be a bit more difficult now. On the other hand having a shortage of mindless zombies sucks, because range attacks still have a good change to drop him dead.

Another tatic I was thinking of to get early corpses is to have some Belles and Hans. Use the Belles to lure a model much closer to you, then have Hans soften it up, keep luring close then kill him. If you wanted to take it to the extreme bring Mortimer, Sybelle, and 3 belles. Do a giant alpha strike, have Mortimer Exhume and advance and give Companion to Sybelle who goes and attempts to Lure over a model a couple times, then all the Belles activate and chain pull a model or two to your lines. If you havn't finished it with the Belles use whatever else you brought to kill it then have Nico make a nice shiney pet, either a Punk, or if Mortimer already exhumed a token onto Nicodem, a Flesh Contruct.

The errata doesn't bother me much - it just means that i'll change the way i play Nicodem slightly. I means i'll concentrate on punks a little more, and buffing / decaying, etc., rather than trying to whore-out the mindless zombie angle like I was in a red light district with a fistfull of hundreds. :P: Just means you have to work a bit harder to get the mindless zombie ho-train going, rather than taking Nic, Mort, and 2+ dogs, digging up counters, and making craptons of zombies turn 2.

He's still pretty mean, and has many tricks up his sleeve.

However, if Mortimer's spell is cheatable, that would be flippin' fantastic.

What's worked well for me is killing off my own models. You can use vulture totems and canine remains which are both very cheap. Kill them to get the corpse and then summon a punk zombie or something of a higher value than the canine.

One way is to take Sebastion with a pack of 5 or so dogs. Activate Seb and 2 dogs together and let the dogs charge an opponent then attack the dogs and opponent with his AOE spell. Then use Nicodem to summon a flesh construct or other undead who will be able to finish off the enemy model and poof! another corpse token.

What's worked well for me is killing off my own models. You can use vulture totems and canine remains which are both very cheap. Kill them to get the corpse and then summon a punk zombie or something of a higher value than the canine.

Why would you kill off your Vulture totems?

They have a lot better uses then becoming a corpse token

Edited by nilus

How do you use the vulture? I used it once and I really like it but it seems with Decay's 10" range and Eyes & Ears being 1 action the bird moves then get's blasted right after Nicodem casts.

Well first remember you can hire 2. I generally keep one back near Nicodem but outside his wall of Undead, basically use it as a way to cast spells while I have a wall of undead protecting him.

The other I generally use to take out tricky little models trying to get objectives like breakthrough or sabotage.

I generally try to make sure there are other models close to the birds that make more attractive targets. Plus I keep them in cover and in places that are hard to get to them via melee.

For those that didn't see, the official word is that you cannot cheat Mortimers exume spell flip.

It's in your rulebooks.

Pg. 33:

Cheating Fate: Playing a Control Card from your hand to replace the Fate Card in play is called Cheating Fate. All models can Cheat Fate but only when the rules allow them to do so. The played Control Card becomes the new Fate Card.

There wasn't an errata or clarification here.

... you're missing my point. If the card flipped in Exhume was "in play", it would be cheatable, specifically because Exhume doesn't say it can't be cheated. How are we supposed to know if it's "in play" or not without asking the designers, since they didn't decide to put it in the rulebook?

the additional language to spell things out in black and white will be here in just a short while.

WS is correct. Exhume is not cheatable. basically, anything that isn't part of a duel is not cheatable unless specified otherwise. damage flip: not part of a duel, but cheating is specifically allowed.

Edited by AoM

WS is correct. Exhume is not cheatable. basically, anything that isn't part of a duel is not cheatable unless specified otherwise. damage flip, not part of a duel, but cheating is specifically allowed.

Yeah, I think that's the part that's missing. Really, this should just be an FAQ as the rules support the idea that you essentially cannot cheat a flip unless it explicitly says you can. However, several people read those very rules and came to the exact opposite conclusion: you can cheat unless stated otherwise.

I'm starting to "get" Wyrd's rules writing philosophy: hyper-RAW.