Hockey? anyone?

EricJ

Holmstrom gets called all the time because he has made a BIG reputation throughout his carrier for constantly pushing the rules regarding the crease. In fact in the last Wings-Sharks game the announcers had a good long talk about that after a disallowed goal (which was not him but another wing in the crease), that the refs have started pushing back not just against him, but that other Wings are feeling the push-back as well.

Fair or not, it seems to be the case. I just wish they would do the same thing in hockey and other sports about diving, and players who build a reputation for that.

Of course, it looks like it should be a good race between wings/sharks for the #2 spot in the West.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I'm excited about the playoffs this year.. Vancouver hasn't ever had a team this good. Too bad about Malholtra though, he's a big part of our penalty kill.....

I still think Chicago is in rough shape with having to play Detroit back to back to finish the season, they may be caught and passed by Dallas to end the season.

I'm guessing it's not just Calgary hoping that San Jose does well to close out the season.

I actually see the Malholtra injury as a huge blow. After having him on the Sharks last year, I was crushed to see him go. He's great on the Pk, one of the top 5 players in the league in the faceoff circle, non-stop energy, fearless, leadership, etc...etc...basically all the things which don't show up on the stat sheet (or even on TV usually), but which add up to make everyone around him better, and make a TEAM much much better. Will be interesting to see if there are significant effects from it, or if the overall skill of the team will be able to compensate.

And not many cities have ever had a team that good. I think it'll be only like the 3rd time ever in the history of the league that a team will be in the top 2 in goals for, against, PP, and PK. If they get their PK up to first in the last few games, I think it's the first time ever for #1 in all 4.

And yes, I actually would enjoy seeing Chi miss the playoffs...maybe the Sharks should take a rest night when playing the Stars :D

...actually makes the idea of a OT loss to the Stars tomorrow night almost sound like the perfect result, haha

Edited by EricJ

Ahhhhh yeah. At least it may serve as a wake up that play like that is not going to stand you well in the playoffs.

Best part, Mickey Redmond giving head official Ian Walsh holy you know what for missing/making a call he couldn't see. But as that happened in the first period very early, that was about it.

Detroit+Red Wings = Goalie problems.

Been like that since they traded Terry Sawchuck.

When they get a good goalie, they trade him.

Osgood is done. I am very sad to say it, I love the guy, but at 37 with a groin that will not heal? Time to hang 'em up Oz. Jimmy Howards stats are not good, but his win percentage is. Joey McDonald had a horrible game, everybody has one now and again.

If the damn Islanders would have kept their stinkin' noses out of the Nabakov deal. . . . .

Goal tending is still shaky no matter who is in the net.

I think Nabby was to settle the others down and give some experience in the locker room. Ozzie was out and Howard/MacDonald were young and inexperienced.

Goal tending doesn't scare me, ( I do however fail my terror duel EVERY time!)it is the sieve defense I am worried about. Again the + - is good but they allow way to many quality shots off rebounds and get caught too far up way too often.

So with all things pointing to yet another Hawks/Canucks matchup, I guess Vancouver is going to get a chance to shake that monkey off their back.

I'm both concerned and excited about this as beating the Hawks should be a great motivator to go very deep in the playoffs, but I'm wondering if Luongo has truly finally fought off the demons of playoffs past.

The extra positive though is that Schieder has been brilliant this year and is poised to give Luongo support if he should need it.

ah yes, yet another place where the Canucks have quality depth ;)

But I'd love to see them wipe the blackhawks out of the playoffs first round. I'm not sure the Sharks would be able to get over the mental block they have about them right now if it turned into a 2/7 matchup instead of the 1/8

Sharks v. Kings is looking fairly one sided at this point, 5-1

Nice to see the Sharks with some convincing wins heading into the playoffs. It's usually the point in the season where they're starting to drop games and give sub-par efforts which carry over to the playoffs.

ok, it's a good thing there is no chance that the Canucks are going to run into Edmonton in the playoffs, they seem to have them figured out! Outscored 6-0 in the last 2 games? But of course, I suppose when you have the presidents trophy wrapped up this early, it doesn't matter so much!

Tough call, I guess it would depend on how you're doing. I'd think you should give your stars a bit of a rest and then play them in the final 2 season games to get them warmed up. I'm no coach though. I just want to see Nashville do well. The cup is ours this year so everyone else can just go play golf. :)