Hockey? anyone?

EricJ

Well, I am not going to hold my breath here, but any Hockey fans around? A large number of models for Malifaux had the genesis of their statlines created with a San Jose Sharks game in the background and I follow the whole league pretty closely in the little free time I have anymore. Any one else follow the NHL?

anyone? :D

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I probably should have figured Pensfan would be, that one is pretty obvious! lol

I also follow Baseball and Football, but with the Giants fading fast (all pitching and no offense doesn't seem to work), and the 49ers likely to be interesting but rather average, neither is really threatening to take much attention from my #1 team (Sharks).

(speaking of sharks...yes, how about a Marleau, Thornton, Heatley line!)

I also follow Baseball and Football, but with the Giants fading fast (all pitching and no offense doesn't seem to work), and the 49ers likely to be interesting but rather average, neither is really threatening to take much attention from my #1 team (Sharks).

Here in St Louis, we're happy that it looks like the Rockies will be getting the wild card instead of the Giants. Nobody wants to face the Giants rotation in a best of 5 series.

Bex, you a twolves fan? or is there another team?

St.Louis has some serious pitching this year too though, and they actually have offense as well! And having just played the Rockies for 7 games in the last few weeks, they are a scary scrappy team that plays good solid baseball, and they may actually overtake the Dodgers, the race is getting tight. But if the Giants can keep Lincecum, Cain, Zito and Penny all pitching like they can, and pick up a solid bat or 3 in the off season, they're going to be very solid next year.

(speaking of sharks...yes, how about a Marleau, Thornton, Heatley line!)

The hell? [Checks Dany Heatley's Wikipedia page]. Sept. 12th Heatley goes to Sharks?!?!?!?

[sniff.] Shame to break up that CASH line.

I remember the day I was talking to my school principal (a Canada native, and Leafs fan) and told him about Heatley's move to Ottawa. I mentioned Heatley, Alfredsson and Spezza.

"Is that a LINE?" he asked, increduously.

"Yeeeeah" was my smiling response.

Damn shame it never went anywhere. Damn Sabres, grumble, mumble...

I used to watch a little bit more of hockey than I do now (still not very into it). Hockey was a LOT more popular in St. Louis 15 years ago or so when Brett Hull was still playing for the Blues. Once he left though it started fading away, and in my opinion it's never come back.

Luckily for the people of St. Louis there are the Cardinals, which is without a doubt the team and sport of choice in St. Louis. It's nice having a team to root for that usually has a winning record!

Edited by thetang22

I used to watch a little bit more of hockey than I do now (still not very into it). Hockey was a LOT more popular in St. Louis 15 years ago or so when Brett Hull was still playing for the Blues. Once he left though it started fading away, and in my opinion it's never come back.

Luckily for the people of St. Louis there are the Cardinals, which is without a doubt the team and sport of choice in St. Louis. It's nice having a team to root for that usually has a winning record!

While I agree the Hull era was a special time I will say the John Davidson era has reignited interest in hockey in St. Louis and I believe that interest in the team has been very high the last two years, especially last year when we (the Blues) were the best team in the league in the second half!

The Blue averaged 18,550 fans per game last year, a sellout is 19250. I would say hockey in STL has come back. The team is young, talented, and exciting to watch which is a far cry from the old dump and chase days!

Sharks with Heater is scary good!

Always look forward to hockey. In fact my winter season starts tonight!

Doug

Yeah, I think a lot of people thought the Blues overachieved last year by grabbing the #7 spot, but this year I see a lot of people just referring to them as a good young team, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them do better. That said, it seems a LOT of talent headed to the western conference this year, and it will be a hell of a battle all year over in the west. Should be a lot of good, exciting hockey.

As for the Sharks, we got Heatley and shipped out 2 players that were overpaid and did not seem to have the drive to really use the promise they showed when they were younger. It does make the team a little more top heavy in terms of talent, but in this case the players that left aren't a huge loss, and opens room on the roster for some of our young talent to step up...besides, who wants to see a 1st PP unit of Thornton, Marleau, Heatley, Boyle and Blake :D

The only down side is that other than Blake, all those guys could end up in the Olympics for a chunk of the season!

I can't say i'm a big fan of watching the games on TV, however being able to go to the game and sit in the crowd and watch the goings on was always a blast. When I was in Atlanta I'd go to at least 3-4 of the Thrashers games, and I would try to catch at least the 1st round playoff game. Having said that, since moving to Vancouver, WA the best I can get is going to watch the Winterhawks (but season opening game is Sep 26th) :bounce:

I use to watch a lot of Hockey. Was a big Penguins fan for years mostly because it was nearly impossible to be a Black Hawks fan in Chicago since the owner refused to air home games on TV. And cause they sucked.

After the lockout in 04 I kinda lost interest in the NHL a bit. I still enjoy going to a Wolves(Chicago's minor league team) game when I get the chance.

I am a huge stars fan, so much so that I have been thinking about putting some stars graphics on car. I really wish that I had pro hockey close to me. We have a minor league team locally, but they live up to the stereotype people have of hockey that the teams are there to fight and a hockey game may break out.

whoa... three pages of fellow rabid hockey fans?? Awesome! :D

Yeah I am a huge hockey fan, Pens' obviously the primary team. But I am also a huge Red Wings fan. So for the past two seasons, I got to watch my fav 2 teams duke it out in the Finals I had been hoping, dreaming, and praying for my entire life!

:)

Well, it doesn't seem like there is any reason not to think the Pens and Red Wings will be at or near the top of the league again this year, although both teams lost a couple players, I do think they did fairly well to plug those holes. I'd like to hope the Sharks can show up for the playoffs this year though and actually bring our skill level to playoff hockey (it's hard being a Sharks fan come playoff time).

I am looking forward to Nov 5th/7th when we play Detroit/Pens back to back though.