Is the Ice Golem as terrible as I think?

Pavic

I really like the Ice Golem as a conduit for Raspy's spells.

She can hide behind scenery that the Golem and see (and shoot her spells) over if there is a volley of fire coming back at her.

If you are shooting at a single target, getting the Golem's base within 6" of Raspy and the other side of his base in 6" of your target you have a nice long range and can zap something down to 1 Wound.

I fluffed my first two games with Raspy but now she's a force to be reckoned with.

Gamins don't really seem to be necessary with her Frozen Heart aura and her armour buff allowing other models to arc spells.

Pretty sure her spells are effected by Bite of Winter, too, so if the Golem activates first her spells are all at +1 damage.

I use the golem and the Gamin together as almost like a team. Basically when you see a beatstick moving towards you, what you want to do is basically use the Gamin as bait and you want to move it into a position where the gamin is exposed and your Ice Golem is behind it. Move the gamin and either use Defensive Stance or Statue depending on the attacker and hold a medium/low tome in your hand. Beatsticks almost always have melee expert so freezing them with Sub-zero will be key and you shouldn't take anything more then weak damage. At this point the beatstick gets charged by the Ice Golem and normally they don't have the best of defenses and they will be in huge trouble.

Even if they have support they are trading hits on their big guy, for hits on your Ice Gamin who has Armor 1 and Defensive/Statue and explodes so it's a great tradeoff for your side. And if they somehow are strong enough to kill those two units, have your Essence linked Rasputina Decembers Curse blast them while they're still very close together from killing your guys and waste them all.

I have a running disagreement with a fellow gamer in my area. I am not too fond of the Ice Golem, he isn't horrible by any means but for the points I'd much rather invest 1 more and get a Steamborg.

The armor and possibility of Subzero can make him last for a while but if your opponent is smart he/she will likely just avoid or go around the Golem.