Tactica: Rasputina

knightdrake

I like sending the Cerberus in against Sonnia. After she's burned through her cards defending against that, then start trying to throw Curses into the combat. I've also had success against her using the ranged attack on the Golem and a Convict Gunslinger to soften her up before the Cerberus gets there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an alternative.

Ice pillars is targetable terrain, with crappy Defence.

if you are REALLY good at guessing that 3' gap, you could potentially put down a pillars with a totem, then arc up on the pillars with Raspy, 2 blasts side by side can then reach out a further 10 cm to get someone for what? with touch of winter 5 dmg? do that twice (burning stones) and BHAM, dead 10 wound model.

Here is an alternative.

Ice pillars is targetable terrain, with crappy Defence.

if you are REALLY good at guessing that 3' gap, you could potentially put down a pillars with a totem, then arc up on the pillars with Raspy, 2 blasts side by side can then reach out a further 10 cm to get someone for what? with touch of winter 5 dmg? do that twice (burning stones) and BHAM, dead 10 wound model.

If I understand you correctly you're saying to target the pillars and the hit Sonnia with blasts?

As per the Errata, you don't get any blasts off of hits on targetable terrain.

So, do we have any idea how to deal with Sonia reliably?

Just played my first game against Sonnia with Rasputina last night. Great game! It was close, but I managed to eke out a victory.

I found that Sonnia, the Witchling Stalkers and everything else anti-casting went down pretty quick against the ranged attacks of the Golem, Gamin and Acolyte. Since these are attacks and not spells, they managed to do some decent damage. Using non-casting units in close or ranged combat against Sonnia worked well for me - she's only Df 4 and Cb 5, so she's not nearly as scary as most. I'm sure this is equally true with other units like the Convict Gunslinger, Joss, Cerberus, etc.

Oh, and I kept Rasputina the hell away from Sonnia! :peep:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Why do i hear of no Hans?

He is an amazing asset for Tina, auto crit and 3 bite of winters on him mean auto dmg of 6/6/9. And a 16 inch range, you couldn't ask for much more protection.

I find that this list works incredibly well:-

Tina

3 gamin

Hans

Essence of Power

Taelor

This list gives the best of both worlds with range and with close combat.

Why do i hear of no Hans?

He is an amazing asset for Tina, auto crit and 3 bite of winters on him mean auto dmg of 6/6/9. And a 16 inch range, you couldn't ask for much more protection.

Sorry to say this, but ongoing effects sharing the same name do not stack so you'll only ever be affected by one Bite of Winter (so 4/4/7 Dg - still awesome though).

There's however a neat trick with one of the upcoming December Cult models featured in Book2 though.

Silent One have a buff that gives Frozen Heart models +3 Rg to all their abilities, spells and ranged attacks. So you can hit things from 19" away with Hans which is pretty crazy.

Tina is usually quite slow, so being able to push your models an extra 4 inches can make a difference. So yes, snowstorm was worth it, and mechanical rider, i had to take it, for thae fact i was against marcus, so i needed something beefy with immune to influence, and it worked amazingly, it beat down marcus and kaeris, due to me manipulating the turns :) so all in all, they were well worth it :)

Aside from the malicious Hamelin it is Snow Storm and the Silent Ones that I look forward to the most from Book2. :D

Earlier I kinda abandoned Rasputina as I found the lack of speed frustrating.

Snow and Storm really seems to balance that out. They're a tad on the expensive side, but oh my.. The two can easily move your crew around.

The final distance depends alot on whether December's Command is really an aura or rather a pulse (asked in the rules forum already). But the addition is high either way.

It also adds some extra protection to your crew and what seems to be a decent melee and ranged attack (although on the light side considering its cost).

I'm looking forward to try it.

I'm looking even more forward to the silent ones though.

Their 'North Wind' spells seems awesome. Rather than adding mobility to your crew they increase the reach of all your ranged abilities.

An allied Hans suddenly have a 19" ranged rifle that does 4/4/7 Dg. Through careful placement Rasputina can cast curses up to 23~24" away. All that kind of shenanigans :)

Casting Ice Wind through a Golem locked in melee also seems rather interesting.

Really looking forward to the models :) We'll see how they work out.

• 4 weeks later...
Aside from the malicious Hamelin it is Snow Storm and the Silent Ones that I look forward to the most from Book2. :D

Earlier I kinda abandoned Rasputina as I found the lack of speed frustrating.

Snow and Storm really seems to balance that out. They're a tad on the expensive side, but oh my.. The two can easily move your crew around.

The final distance depends alot on whether December's Command is really an aura or rather a pulse (asked in the rules forum already). But the addition is high either way.

It also adds some extra protection to your crew and what seems to be a decent melee and ranged attack (although on the light side considering its cost).

I'm looking forward to try it.

I'm looking even more forward to the silent ones though.

Their 'North Wind' spells seems awesome. Rather than adding mobility to your crew they increase the reach of all your ranged abilities.

An allied Hans suddenly have a 19" ranged rifle that does 4/4/7 Dg. Through careful placement Rasputina can cast curses up to 23~24" away. All that kind of shenanigans :)

Casting Ice Wind through a Golem locked in melee also seems rather interesting.

Really looking forward to the models :) We'll see how they work out.

I'm very excited about the silent ones as well.

I'm still pretty new to the Ice Witch (been playing a hodge-podge Zoraida crew since the game was released) and I have yet to find her lack of speed an issue. Sure she's slow, but her crew is decently quick.

What I've found is that I usually keep Rasputina towards the back of my table edge, and let her goonies do most of the lifting. The biggest hurdle to playing her well, I think, is making sure nothing gets close enough to put the hurt on her.

I'm thinking my 35ss crew will be something like:

Gaminx3=12

Ice Golem=9

Silent Onex2=12

Essence of Power=2

Sure that puts me right at 35, so no excess stones to toss around, but I do have a great fire-base (with Rasputina and both Silent Ones) and four tough models that can act as linemen to keep my witches safe, or as a mobile whacking force to fulfill whichever scheme I draw.

Until the Silent Ones are out though, I'm thinking a Razorspine will fill in nicely. Why is it that people are really liking the Cerebus and NOT the rattler? The rattler just looks so nasty!

d

I'm really looking forward to trying out Kaeris with Raspy. Ice Pillars + Fire Pillars gives a metric ton of board control. I'm thinking something like:

Raspy

Kaeris = 9

Silent One x2 = 12

Ice Gamin x2 = 8

Essence of Power = 2

That's 31 stones, which gives me the max 8 remaining for Raspy to throw around. It's also just off the top of my head, so likely not optimized. But the ability to use all those pillars to funnel the opponent into being more clumped up so you can blast them to pieces sounds awesome. Not to mention cutting them off from objectives and such.

I'm really looking forward to trying out Kaeris with Raspy. Ice Pillars + Fire Pillars gives a metric ton of board control. I'm thinking something like:

Raspy

Kaeris = 9

Silent One x2 = 12

Ice Gamin x2 = 8

Essence of Power = 2

That's 31 stones, which gives me the max 8 remaining for Raspy to throw around. It's also just off the top of my head, so likely not optimized. But the ability to use all those pillars to funnel the opponent into being more clumped up so you can blast them to pieces sounds awesome. Not to mention cutting them off from objectives and such.

Kaeris is actually 8SS, so you've got one more stone there!

Against my earlier sentiments, I think I'm actually going to dump one Silent One. Nets me more SSs, and I'm thinking of swapping a Golem for Kaeris. The more I look at her the more I like her.

Think about this:

Rasputina makes friendly models within 4" Frozen Hearted (So Kaeris, obviously) while a Silent One will buff the range of her abilities(or she can use her 0 action to make Kaeris Frozen as well)..suddenly you're spitting out 13" Ignites followed by a pair of 15" Immolates (or Flame Wall). Obviously Kaeris endeavors to Ignite a pair of models, and either Immolate them or Immolate one tough model twice.

Overheat also works well with Gamin. The spell says KILL target friendly construct, so the opposition will not only get a burning counter, but also take damage from the little guy shattering!

I also cannot state how nasty Flame Walls will be, compounded with Ice Pillars, for board control. Obviously if Kaeris is going to be a gatling turret (being buffed by the Silent One, or Rasputina) she'll be activating a little later in the activation order(reducing the effective "control" of Flame Wall) but it gives her plenty of options. I've thought about dumping the Wall right in front of my models opponents wish to charge, making them make a terrible choice-sit there and get blasted (because everything in my list has pretty decent ranged attacks) OR charge the gamin-blockers and take 3dg on the way in.

Oh and don't forget Bite of Winter off of the Gamin, any little bit helps!

I think a list I'll try next tuesday will look like:

Rasputina

Essence-2

Kaeris-8

Gaminx3-12

Silent One-6

I'm torn between adding another Silent One, a Gamin, or my Razorspine Rattler. The rattler would be nice, because of the speed he adds to the list (like Kaeris!), and he could be Frozen as well (making his attacks/spells rather nasty when coupled with Bite of Winter for a late-turn whoopin'). A Gamin or Silent One would add more SSs to my pool, and add more ranged (especially the Silent One).

Whatcha think?

d

• 2 weeks later...

So according to the FAQ, Armor from different named sources stacks. I was thinking of casting December's Touch on a Golem in HtH combat, or even one close to someone else, and then using the Student of Conflict, to cast 3 December's Curse on the Golem, sending the Splash Damage the way of the enemy. The Golem would be able to absorb almost all of the damage with an Armor of 4.

Just to make sure though, did I interpret this rule correctly? Casting a spell with Armor 2 and already having Armor 2 are two separate named sources, or am I missing something?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I wanted to see what you guys thought about what I should do for a tournament come Sunday. The tournament is a 30ss event, where 15-13ss must be fixed. For encounters we are doing the basic 5. I also get two schemes. In any case my army that is available to me is.

Rasputina

3x Gamin

1x Ice Golem

2x Cerberus

3x Moleman

1x December Acolyte

1x Convict Gunslinger

1x Hans

1x Horcat Pride

1x Essence of Power

1x Wendigo

I feel like my choices are quite open. what do you all think. where should I go from here.

Billy

Hello all,

I wanted to see what you guys thought about what I should do for a tournament come Sunday. The tournament is a 30ss event, where 15-13ss must be fixed. For encounters we are doing the basic 5. I also get two schemes. In any case my army that is available to me is.

Rasputina

3x Gamin

1x Ice Golem

2x Cerberus

3x Moleman

1x December Acolyte

1x Convict Gunslinger

1x Hans

1x Horcat Pride

1x Essence of Power

1x Wendigo

I feel like my choices are quite open. what do you all think. where should I go from here.

Billy

My Rapsutina crew always, ALWAYS includes:

Raspy (duh!)

3x Ice Gamin

Essence of Power

I believe this runs you 14SS, so that leaves you a good few stones to play with. It depends on what sort of list you want to run, I think. But in my mind the three linemen (the gamin) and the totem are your best foundation, because the little guys make for great blockers-they can pin nasty opposing models in place and give them hell with their armor and 5W. Also some opponents will be wary to smacking them around because of their shatter:2.

The essence is just there so you can burn people in two a bit quicker.

The remainder of your crew might just remain to be seen when you get your encounter.

Good luck!

d

• 1 month later...

I currently Have:

Rasputina

3 Ice Gamin

3 Molemen

1 Ice Golem

1 Razorspine Rattler

1 December Acolyte

Bishop

What I take depends on the mission:

If it's Stake A Claim or some kind of defense oriented mission, molemen take precedence over Gamin, simply because they can tunnel and borrow (For a max of 9 armor!!!)

If it's more attack oriented, I use the gamin as explosive charges: throw them into melee with Rasputina nearby. Fire December's curse into melee. If it hits your Gamin, then cheat his defense all the way down and make sure you do Severe Dg. Enjoy the blast Damage + Shatter 2. :)

With this, you can usually finish off a few 10 point models.

Also, the Ice Golem is used more for defense because of his statue being better than the Gamin (his defense is only decreased by 1). He also has a very nice ranged spell. A generally well rounded minion.

The Razorspine is good for missions where you either kill your enemy, or your enemy has to guard something.

The Razorspine can very easily charge the same model twice in one turn, or 2 different models if you'd like. All you need is the right suit in your hand. A very excellent harrassing model.

Oh yeah, and just paint up the Razorspine/Molemen to look icy and base them with snow or something. They fit in perfectly with the rest of the crew.

The Cerebus can just be painted like a hoarcat or maybe a husky or wolf.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone I am just a click away from ordering my first Malifaux schtuff. Ive been wanting to play as Rasp for a while and at first the stuff I was seeing was discouraging. I haven't even played a game yet and I already dislike the Ortegas. But it seems like the general consensus is the same as it had been for other games, just keep playing till you get it. Raspy seems pretty pro and I love her stuff. Ive been creepin' on the threads for a while looking for what I should buy and heres what I've ordered.

1 Cult of December box set

1 Essence of Power

1 Silent One

1 Cerberus

I have nooo idea what I'm doing, I don't even have the book yet (ordering that too). Anything I do wrong? My girlfriend and some other friends are joining in and they are buying the Lilith, Viks, and Kirai boxes.

Wow, bummer...this thread isn't nearly as much of a Tactica as some of the other ones out there for the other Masters.

I just got Raspy for Christmas to add to my growing list of Arcanists (already had Colette and Ramos :) ). So, definitely looking for any and all help on running her effectively.

I really like the combination of the Silent Ones and the Ice Golem for some ranged support. Hans looks REALLY interesting though, particularly against other ranged opponents. Even if he's just whittling down an opponent. I'm thinking if I were to take Hans, then I might take the Student of Conflict for the totem in order to give Hans 3 shots. Tough call though, with all the extra SS that combo would cost.

I haven't actually played any games with her yet though. Still working on getting the pieces painted/based. Played a game against my friend's Raspy crew last week though, and I barely squeaked out a victory. The Silent One's range boost and only -1 Ca for Mirrors is just plain sick. Makes it nearly impossible to approach Raspy at all. He worked some nice magic on me as well by giving one of my 9SS models Frozen Heart, and then doing Turn to Ice, taking it out of play for the round, basically (might as well be granting it Paralyze, lol). Then he ignored that piece and concentrated on wiping out my other 9 SS model, leaving with mostly garbage left after that point. Honestly, I think the only reason I won is because he kept one of his Silent Ones too close to his Gamin, and took some shatter damage. With North Wind active, it's very easy for a Silent One to be in range of somebody for bouncing December's Curse, while staying far enough way that they can't return fire.

I'm also looking forward to trying out Kaeris. I think having both Smoldering and Frozen Heart will be pretty solid.