Tactica: Rasputina

knightdrake

I've enjoyed playing the Cult of December so far but not fairing well with accomplishing scenarios. She winds up slowing my crews roll up the board.

Used the sabertooth last game and felt it was a great addition to her crew. Was considering the wendigo totem but really not seeing the benefit. The essence of power seems a better choice but only affecting Decembers Curse. The other alternative is the Student of conflict to help out with the speed issue.

What other crew builds are being used to good effect?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal favorite is:

Rasputina

Ice Golem

3 Ice Gamins

Widigo

2 extra SS

I have found that using the Gamins as arc nodes for December's Curse works really well, and the extra SS help assure some really crushing blows. The Ice Golem I try to get into melee as quickly as possible, or else act as bodyguard for 'Tina. The Widigo is used as an additional arc node for one of 'Tina's spells, usually Ice pillars giving 'Tina an extra cast do some damage with.

I've enjoyed playing the Cult of December so far but not fairing well with accomplishing scenarios. She winds up slowing my crews roll up the board.

Used the sabertooth last game and felt it was a great addition to her crew. Was considering the wendigo totem but really not seeing the benefit. The essence of power seems a better choice but only affecting Decembers Curse. The other alternative is the Student of conflict to help out with the speed issue.

What other crew builds are being used to good effect?

My personal preference is something along the lines of (At 35SS which is my standard play)...

Rasptuina

Essence of Power

Joss (He's fantastic with December's touch)

2 Ice Gaimin (As Arc Nodes/Using Bite of Winter)

Sabertooth Cerberus

And at this point you can throw in stuff as a matter of preference. More Gaimin, soulstones, a december acolyte, another Cerberus (A personal favorite).

Student of Conflict is a good option though. Most mage casters are quite slow and thus it's a very useful option. Rasputinas got some good options and it's nice to experiment to see what works. My general policy with her is to run fast things to make up for her slowness. While being able to bounce spells does give her a bit more threat than she appears to have she still has to spend a lot f time moving. Do remember though effectiveness does vary a lot depending on scenario/matchup so something may perform poorly in one situation but be far more useful in others.

Hope that helps a bit,

Regards.

For my starting 25SS force, I am considering using the following

Rasputina

Wendigo

2 Ice Gamin

2 December Acolytes

7 SS

I would actually deploy the December Acolytes near Rasputina to allow them to consisently benefit from Frozen Heart and therefore have there Harpoon Strikes increased to 3/4/7 because of the Ice Gamin's Bite of Winter. This would require that my force stick pretty close together, so I don't know if it would be worth it. Any suggestions?

How are others using the Acolytes? So far I've been placing forward of my crew in forests and passing 1 or 2 turns until something gets close enough or I can safely shift position. Used him more to get an objective or counter opposing schemes. One item I was wondering about was using gravedigger first activation. Have a corpse token in the bank once damage starts coming in. Not sure if it is worth losing the benefit of no ranged attacks or charges.

I love Rasputina fluff, theory and model wise but I've been doing awful with her the last two games (of the three I've played, I used Seamus in the other). I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Seems nothing I've got, however tough and covered, can stand up to guild gunshots!

I definitely think a totem will be very handy, I hate proxying though. Probably just use it to fire up some ice pillars every turn which could help with getting shot a lot!

Gamin are great simply because of "Bite of Winter", always have at least one around. As for the rest of the list though I'm not sure.

I think I'll try using a gamin, totem, Myranda and as many beasts as I can fit in! Joss seems pretty resilient too.

Practice practice practice I guess.

I never get shot up by Guild (at least not to frustration). Pillars and statue on the ice boys not only protect me but usually do the frustrating to a Guild opponent. I do agree that her typical force is pretty slow and hard to get up the board and that frustrates me.

Don't overlook the ability, and in this case possibly necessity, to include non-theme Arcanits or mercs that have more mobility. I think Joss works well with anyone and the rattler is good, too. Bishop and Hans work well with everyone.

My last game I included the Convict Gunslinger and a Sabertooth. Both did well and offset some of the slow aspect of her crew. The Big kitty leaping then charge forward can tie up those ranged threat. Having a 2" melee increases the threat and then +2 melee action just makes it much better. Gunslinger with Bulletproof1 and Armor 2 does well to walk forward soaking shots and giving it back. Since he can be given Frozen Heart then the Gamins add into the damage potential.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I've got core Rasputina down; here's a question regarding totems. She's got 4 options:

Essence of Power - Seems like the winner to me; (+) flips on spell damage is pretty hot, especially when going for those big blasts. An extra cast a turn is nothing to sneeze at either.

Wendigo - Having a hard time seeing it. Its robust, its an extra 'caster, but I'm having a hard time justifying this guy. Am I missing some niciety here?

Malifaux Child - No.

Student of Conflict - Fast - oh hells yeah. An extra cast is definitely worth it. Clocking in at double the cost of the Essence, this one's actually a tough choice.

Would love to hear what others think.

I use Essence of Power majority of the time, as you said, (+) flips on spell damage is pretty hot. Either to achieve the extra flip or offset a low Def variance so I can still cheat. Have to drop that severe damage for 2 blast counters.

Wendigo, in the same boat as it doesn't add much for her. It is another Frozen Heart to bounce spells off of.

Student of Conflict, tried it a few times but you need to manage the Fast as it is an all action. I haven't got my timing down yet so have usually opted for EoP instead for my totem. It is good when you need that extra action, just an issue of getting into a good forward position to benefit a model 3" away. Which may just be fine letting Rasp get in an extra move or spell in.

I got:

Rasputina Box

3 Hoarcats

1 Cerberus

deck

I will be playng a lot since my whole hobby group bought into it. I will post more soon. We game every WED.

Aww... the "Crazy Cat Lady List" @ 25 points.

Best of luck, here's some pointers based upon my experience with it:

- Devour is living only; you actually have to beat up the undead.

- Be judicious with your use of the Cerebus; don't let him get too far away from Rasputina and end up unsupported.

- The list would be much happier with a Wendigo as a mobile buff support piece, but if you don't want to proxy (and noone else in your group does), you should be fine.

- Watch out for Perdita; she can kill you dead :)

Again, best of luck and I encourage you to join HIKOMA!

- McNs

What about running This Hikoma list at 30ss?

Rasputina

3 Hoarcat prides

Sabertusk

Myranda

Myranda has a MUCH easier time casting roar, while the sabertusk (with companion) moves forward and smells fear. Myranda then casts roar (on a 8+ rather than 11+) and the saber tusk charges what ever you want to kill. Rasputina then kamehameha's a non engaged enemy with december's curse as a falling back enemy is :mali-fate to all duels, making it much easier to get the spells into them.

Rasputina takes some getting used to - at least for me. Her fragility is her biggest weakness with mobility also being a problem. When you get December's Curse and Biting Chill with Overpower off - big things die in one turn. Fun stuff.

One thing I found in the past few games is using Ice Pillars for objective denial and terrain manipulation. When there are objectives on the board, you can block them off almost entirely with Ice Pillars, requiring your opponent to waste time destroying or going around them. It works especially well against crews with low-strength shooting attacks; it also lets you funnel the enemy where you want them to go. Obviously it doesn't work against some crews such as Lilith and flying Nephilim, but it is ROUGH for Gremlins.

I also love the December Acolyte and plan to get another one ASAP. Using him with December's Touch as someone mentioned earlier in the thread is great and makes him a tank. Or, as was also mentioned earlier, using him to claim objectives such as reaching the enemy's deployment zone is also quite useful.

there is also attacking your own ice golem for fun and profit.

get your ice golem in BtoB with an enemy you don't like (easier said than done), and cast december's curse ON the Ice golem 3 times. With his def of 2 you are likely to get and extra :mali+flip on the damage roll, giving you a better chance of getting more blasts to hit the enemy with. with armor 2 he will die after 3 full damage december's curses (assuming you do severe damage, which is relatively likely-ish if you also have essence of power giving you :mali+flip :mali+flip) and then shatter for 3 more damage to your opponents. if you do severe damage each time, that is 6 4 dm blasts and a 3 dm shatter.... I'd say that's worth the death of an Ice golem. if not, well, the golem is still alive and raring to go another round.

this can also be done with gamin, but they won't survive more than two december's curses.

there is also attacking your own ice golem for fun and profit.

get your ice golem in BtoB with an enemy you don't like (easier said than done), and cast december's curse ON the Ice golem 3 times. With his def of 2 you are likely to get and extra :mali+flip on the damage roll, giving you a better chance of getting more blasts to hit the enemy with. with armor 2 he will die after 3 full damage december's curses (assuming you do severe damage, which is relatively likely-ish if you also have essence of power giving you :mali+flip :mali+flip) and then shatter for 3 more damage to your opponents. if you do severe damage each time, that is 6 4 dm blasts and a 3 dm shatter.... I'd say that's worth the death of an Ice golem. if not, well, the golem is still alive and raring to go another round.

this can also be done with gamin, but they won't survive more than two december's curses.

That's just flat out dirty. Though I have to admit I would much rather lose Gamin. I think molemen would also be very, very useful for this, since if they are tunneling, they have armor 6. Sure you don't get the shatter on the end, but the mole would hold up a heck of a lot longer than a Gamin, maybe even as long as an Ice Golem.

That's just flat out dirty. Though I have to admit I would much rather lose Gamin. I think molemen would also be very, very useful for this, since if they are tunneling, they have armor 6. Sure you don't get the shatter on the end, but the mole would hold up a heck of a lot longer than a Gamin, maybe even as long as an Ice Golem.

true, true. you can really use anything you want for this trick, I picked ice constructs because they shatter, doing more damage. But molemen would be a perfectly good choice for a lightning rod for your blasts.