Tactica: Ramos

Vitzh

:welcome:

Few quick thoughts.

The Mobile Toolkit costs 3ss. Firstly you can't take a DE in a Ramos crew. If your looking for somthing big to fill the DE slot the Steamborg is a good shout.

Have a few games with them and see what you think, then post back and let us know how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way to take the DE in ramos' crew is to use Alyce to summon steampunk abominations.

You can do it turn 2 actually - summon 2 first turn (you need an 8 of any suit to cast - you'll have the 8 tomes from ramos) summon another 2 turn 2 then move the 4 up (via Keep Pace). Use the last AP of the last one that moved to do a Concentrated Deformation to create a Desolation engine.

Only problem is that it'll require 4 scrap counters. easiest way to get these would be killing off some spiders with ramos.

tbh, not all that viable. shame really :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

short question concerning Companion nad Brass Arachnids Stoke:

Let´s say I have Ramos, Brass Arachnid and an other construct like a Steamborg Executioner (just as an example).

Ramos can make the Steamborg being Companion (Ramos) and the Brass Arachnid already has Companion (Ramos). Now my question:

Is it able to to activate Ramos (doing his things), then Steamborg (doing his things), then Brass Arachnid (casting Stoke, giving the Steamborg reactivate) and then immediately reactivate the Steamborg due to Companion (Ramos)? Meaning that the Steamborg activates 2 times before the opponent is able to react?

ZK

The new wording on Linked-In doesn't actually give the Steamborg companion, but just makes it activate after Ramos.

So no it wouldn't work.

(It wouldn't work by the old wording either as you had to declare all models activating in the same companion chain at once - but let's not dwell on the past because those rules were rather messy..)

• 1 month later...

I'm just started to use the Arcanist starting off with Raspy and recently got Ramos and have only managed to play him once vs. the hag and I have to say he was alot of fun for me. I tied the game and have to agree that spiders are the way to go. It was a 45ss game I had Contain Power as my stratagy, and used Power Ritual and Hold Out as my schemes. My opponent had Treasure Hunt as his Stratagy, and Hold Out and can't remember the other for schemes. I used the:

steamborg

2 swarms

brass arachnid

and Alice

My opponents crew contained:

a stiched together

3 slurids

pere ravage

2 other grimlins

and the hooded rider

I made a few mistakes with deployment, but managed to more or less correct the issue. I managed to create enough spiders to create 2 more swarms in the game along with 2 ECs. those models worked really well as suicide bombs even though I lost a few before they where close enough. I liked the steamborg but he is a bit slow and just recently picked up Joss and am really looking forward to using him in my next game.

Alice was an interesting and somewhat mixed blessing. Zorada used the conduit to turn her against my team with obeys, luckily I was able to cheat out of the negative impact she would have caused but I was only close enough to recieve the extra 2 cards in the first turn, as I moved her away from Ramos before she could do any real harm to him. I'm not sure that she was really worth the stones I paid for her in my crew but I will toy with her some more to make up my mind, as I feel she has some benifits I did enjoy with her ranged abilities.

I know there are those who say that Ramos is not up to snuff compaired to other masters, but I have to say that I had more fun playing him then any of the guild masters I have played before. (I have only played Perdita and Sonnia until picking up Raspy) I think that he does have a learning curve to go through and he may not be for everyones type of playing style. I consider the Neverborn one of the strongest factions out there mainly due to there mobility and synergies that lend them to achieve many of the stratagies out there more easily. I find that Ramos and the Arcanist may be more fixed/limited in what they can do and the model's you would choose from, but I think that brings a challange to the game that makes their crew more enjoyable to play. At least thats the way I look at it. I am of the oppinion that there are no bad Masters or crew choses. As long as your having fun that is all that matters.

When you use companion and linked in what order do they go in? Like if I activate Ramos and companion the brass aracnid. Use ramos to link in something else, would the linked in model go immediatly after ramos then the companioned model? Or would both companioned models go then the linked in model?

When you use companion and linked in what order do they go in? Like if I activate Ramos and companion the brass aracnid. Use ramos to link in something else, would the linked in model go immediatly after ramos then the companioned model? Or would both companioned models go then the linked in model?

The immediately activating, Linked-In model would go before the companioned Brass Arachnid.

If you have the rules manual, the reference is on page 31 ;)

• 3 weeks later...

okay so i only read the first couple of pages so maybe i'm wrong but why not throw in the coryphees just to really tick the guy off. between them and SAS's you can gather forces or fragment as necessary for the strategy while still fielding powerhouse models, and if you have them and joss, I'm sorry but whichever target they choose the other one is going to wreck them.

okay so i only read the first couple of pages so maybe i'm wrong but why not throw in the coryphees just to really tick the guy off. between them and SAS's you can gather forces or fragment as necessary for the strategy while still fielding powerhouse models, and if you have them and joss, I'm sorry but whichever target they choose the other one is going to wreck them.

The problem with running the Coryphee's with Ramos is that you typically don't have any other Showgirls for them to synergize with. They are still good on their own, and if Ramos can heal the Coryphee now and then, that certainly helps. But for the 14 points, I usually find that I would prefer to have the Steamborg in my Ramos crew, as something to do a lot of damage. The Spider swarms and Steamborg are pretty quick as it is, so I haven't found myself needing the speed of the Coryphees.

Also, the Coryphees can be a Soulstone sink. In other words, I typically find I use at least 2-3 SS with them throughout a game, and sometimes more. I usually find that Ramos' crew doesn't need many Soulstones. So, you'd be running 14 points of Coryphees, plus the additional Soulstones you need to support them. In the end, you're doing that intsead of like...5-6 spiders. I'm not sure that it balances out well in a Ramos crew. Most times, I'd rather have the Spiders.

Lastly, without Colette, you can't make Doves. Which then means that the Coryphees are sitting ducks if you lose init. Also means that you're pretty much forced to activate them first in the round whenever necessary, rather than being able to react to whatever your opponent does.

Now, in a Brawl with Ramos and Colette....YES PLEASE. :)

The problem with running the Coryphee's with Ramos is that you typically don't have any other Showgirls for them to synergize with. They are still good on their own, and if Ramos can heal the Coryphee now and then, that certainly helps. ...

Mhm.. Yeah well.. Personally I think Coryphée on their own are good enough to add to any Arcanist crew.. Be it Colette, Ramos, Rasputina or Marcus..

They don't really need other Showgirls at all.

Ramos can as you said heal them or, if he takes the now less-liked totem of his, - god forbid - Reactivate them..

I don't think they're exactly sitting ducks without Use Soulstone either.. Seriously..? Even without it they have one of the strongest arrays of defensive abilities in the game of any model.

I don't think they're exactly sitting ducks without Use Soulstone either.. Seriously..? Even without it they have one of the strongest arrays of defensive abilities in the game of any model.

For 14 points, they are an easy kill for many enemies if you don't have access to Soulstones. Granted, it typically takes a master to do so, but anything with a Cb of 7 and decent damage can kill them with two attacks, if the Coryphee can't use Soulstones to help defend themselves. Losing an init and having something like Chompy, the Viks, Lillith, a Steamborg, Punk Zombies, etc, and you can drop them without too much trouble.

Typically, in a Showgirls crew, the way you keep this from happening is by keeping a Dove or two nearby, so they can use it as a Soulstone if necessary. Otherwise, there's been many times where I've lost a key init, and the Viks or some other large melee powerhouse enemy jumps on the Coryphees and downs them in a single activation.

So, that's why I say that I don't really use them outside of a Showgirls crew. The Mannequins really help by using their Mirrors spell (TOTALLY saved me in a game last week...probably avoided 10 damage on various models). Colette can Illusionist to let the Coryphees get out of trouble and heal up, if necessary, and then she gives you access to the Doves as well. And then the tag-team with Cassandra is also what synergizes with them well.

So, like I said....they are decent in a Ramos crew, but I don't think they are anywhere near as strong as they are when matched up with the rest of the Showgirls. There's just a lot of synergy they lose when running in any other crew. That's not to say it's a bad idea. Ramos' Arcing Screen can really help protect them (for instance, bring a Performer/Mannequin pair as well, Link the Mannequin to the Duet, and then cast Arcing Screen on the Mannequin ;) ). The extra healing from Ramos is great as well. And they give a lot more Speed to Ramos' crew, when necessary.

I'm just saying that personally, I'd often rather run the Steamborg and more Spiders rather than the Coryphee.