Tactica: Ramos

Vitzh

Summary: Ramos is awful. He is a support caster with one of the shortest range and weakest effects in the game. This is tied with poor combat abilities in all forms, and an under performing crew.

Statistically Ramos is incredibly underwhelming. 2 Soulstones, Def 2, Cb 3, and wk 3. His only high statistic is his Ca 8. This seems to indicate that he should be a solid caster but 3 of his spells require further suits to successfully cast. From there he has a spell that requires a scrap token and one of the weakest attack spells in the game.

His high casting ability is actually more of a detriment with his totem. As the totem is only a cast of 5 it makes casting any of his spells significantly more difficult. The totems reactive ability is awesome, but again it requires more of the same high casting cost cards from the same suite Ramos needs.

As said above he is a support caster. Unfortunately, his only real buffing spell is a 3" bubble. When combined with his 3" move it is difficult to use effectively. It means the first turn or two of the game he is forced to double move and use his casting action on this bubble. The bubble also requires a 7+ to cast, which means if you are holding a good hand of cards it will fail half the time. For his totem to cast this spell requires a 10+, which is highly unlikely without fate twisting. For your minions to effectively use the bubble they are tied tightly to Ramos, which has its own issues.

As a final issue this buff flickers. It goes away in the end phase, and doesn't come back until Ramos casts it again. This often forces Ramos to go first and means you are punished heavily when you lose the initiative.

You also likely have to either hide Ramos, where he can't buff, or cast this bubble every turn. It increases his abysmal defense of 2 up to a subpar 4. It means he really only has 2 actions a turn to use, and has to spend those actions inefficiently to get anywhere with his short ranged spells.

Ramos has two spells to summon new minions to the battlefield. Both require higher value tome cards. This means you are likely to have to cheat fate to cast them, wasting another card in hand, or cheat fate and use a soulstone(while he only starts with 2!). One of his summoning spells is a zero cast action which creates more spiders. As a zero cost action it can only be performed once per turn, and is burdened with trigger requirements. Both of his summon creatures tend towards being worthless as well.

His crew, and Joss don't improve matters further for him. The spider swarms and Steamborg executioner both have Def 4. Neither are particularly survivable compared to other factions minions, and the low def creates further card inefficiency in a master already highly card inefficient. This combined with a lack of an impressive offense compared to other similarly price minions means these under perform.

The Steampunk Arachnid by itself has a higher Def, but only has 3 Wds. Its often one shot before it can accomplish anything. Making one explode means you just paid 3 soulstones to do 2 points of damage to a model(who bunches up?) and it then doesn't leave a scrap token behind. It can only really explode within a 6" radius, which is far far shorter then ranged attacks easily reach. It would take 2 of these to trade for any 4 soulstone model at best, which means my opponent is really up 2 soulstones.

Joss looks really good on paper. Sadly he has average Df, no survivability without power tokens, and average attack. The only way he gains survivability is by surviving. He could hang around for 3-4 turns doing nothing but by then the scenario is already decided. He can flurry but to do so he would need to have already been engaged, and costs you another card.

This leaves the Electrical Construct. The Electrical Construct has 1.5 turns of activation as he takes damage before he activates every turn, and has 3 Wds. The first turn it activates its slow, takes a wound and should deal damage to a single model. It will then likely die before it gets to do anything again as even a single point of damage ensures its death. Out of my last few games I have never even had the opportunity to reliably cast the Electrical Construct as I never drew a high enough card from the tomes suite for my hand.

So overall we have a support Master who is awful at doing everything, including supporting his minions, tied to minions who aren't cost effective. From every other Master I have played against in this game Ramos easily defines the bottom tier. Its just annoying looking at Nicodem. He buffs in a 10" area without a cast action. He can easily bring back his pud troopers in a 10" area compared to one a turn. He has a better attack spell that doubles as a better healing spell for his minions. His spell to create a single minion is more flexible, can create more powerful minions, and helps with the card inefficiency. He also starts with more Soulstones.

All in all its somewhat maddening. My best tactical advice is to not play Ramos.

Edited by Vitzh

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know my friend who uses Ramos loves him so far, our first game down to Ramos killing the last of my Death Marshals (though I won by VP) and the one after that was a bit more lopsided in my favor, but he is still learning him. The first game he advanced him up, the second game he laid back and summoned. The summoning approach seemed not as good. I suggested the Merc M&SU guy to use as a bodyguard for him to allow him to advance more unhindered and allow him to use his buffs better.

The biggest problem he has is retrieving scrap counters. I think the individual spiders should work like the Canine Remains and bring him scrap counters back. Because he is just not hefty enough to run out in the middle of everything to grap a scrap or two.

Well to use the grudge match between Angel of Menoth and me at gencon I'll outline the general tactics of the typical Ramos models.

First off I rarely use the Steamborg. He is good but is not enough of a CC threat. Sure Decapitate is nice and Steam Could is huge. He just doesn't stand up to Joss though. However in a 45SS game I take both Steamy and Joss, 5 individual spiders, 1 swarm and the Brass Arachnid.

Joss is a much nastier threat and yes he is squishy if you leave him hanging out there. Use cover as that will mitigate a huge amount of damage coming his way. Keep in mind that negative fate prevents cheating. The trick with joss is to keep adding armor until you are ready to charge. Armor 1 or 2 is nothing to scoff at. Add to that the ability to reactivate if you can keep him in cover and his threat becomes a real nasty proposition. Joss has Paired Axes so he is at a +1 fate to hit all the time. Then he gets +1 damage if you want to use Brutal. I usually go for Discharge at 1 or 2 depending when I charge. Then with Brutal his weak damage is 5. Add to that that you are at fate +1 on the hit and there is a good chance that you won't need to cheat. It's not uncommon for Joss to also flip or cheat a Tome to bump weak damage to 6. At this point anything past weak damage is sauce. But 8 or 9 damage is really really nasty on the charge with the fate +1 to damage.

The same goes for the spiders. The have a decent Df sure but if you can't cheat to hit them with ranged you are at a huge advantage. Add to that the Arachnid ability and hitting them becomes next to impossible with even a poor control hand. Don't forget that if you can walk up to something and do a latch on you can do that before the attack effectively making their Cb 7. If you can do that with multiples it can be HUGE! (Think a swarm that scatters. The first latches on and attacks. The second latches on and attacks at Cb9!!! The third (If you place the spiders correctly can get a strike in at Cb11)

Don't underestimate the strength of Arachnid Swarms. Melee Master is huge! Add tot hat a lucky flip with a Crow and you will Paralyze your target. There is nothing wrong with walking twice, attacking twice then putting up Disruption Field or doing a healing flip if necessary. They are also at Fate plus 1 to damage as long as they are 5 wounds or greater. Another fun thing to do with them if you are in CC and it is late in the turn is to attack three times in melee and then scatter. This will buy you three more attacks. Or if you are at decent health 1 attack and two Self Distructs. This is a huge amount of concentrated damage. I've dropped Seamus from full health in this fashion in 1 turn. The fact that the SAS dos 3 damage on weak and medium is great. More often then not you don't care if you are at negative fate because you are going to do three damage.

As for Ramos, I usually field him about 8 or so inches behind the front line. He either Salvage Under Fire and summons a spider or walks twice and the spider summoned last turn runs up under Companion. Don't be afraid to get closer if ranged models have been engaged by spiders. At this point Arcing Screen becomes huge as any hits on the spiders do even more damage. Keep in mind that Ramos can take a hit or two with Armor 2. Most Weak to Medium hits do 5 damage or less so that's 3 damage or less. Not terrible. The turns ramos doesn't summon a spider or has a scrap counter handy he almost always walks twice. 6" is not a bad move and he can still cast once.

General Tactics:

Ramos is all about blowing his own guys up. Guaranteed damage is better then flipping and missing. All of your troops are expendable.

Have a screen of spiders moving forward along with Joss and a Swarm or two. Remember that Evasive stacks with Armor so the spiders are rarely going to take any more then 1 point of blast damage so sticking together in a swarm is a good idea.

Try to set up turns where you can either charge and then latch on with three or four spiders at once (This will usually kill the target) or go off in twos and blow up. Often your opponent will try to bunch up a bit to try to counter act your mob. This is fine. Your Detonations will do a lot more damage that way. If your opponent comes at you in ones and twos then mob up. You will quickly see the value of hitting at cb 11 or 13. Very scary. Especially if you can follow that up with a swarm or god forbid Joss!

All the while Ramos should be building up your force's second wave. Every spider you summon is 3ss your opponent didn't start the game with. That and the electrical Creation which only last 2 turns is easily a huge damage producer or a very effective movement deterrent. If it moves through a model that is 3 unpreventable damage. Don't forget that Surge is a great way to filter your hand with Ramos. If you can get the double Tome off do it early in the turn to dump your low cards or non trigger cards and hope you draw something better. At the very least you will be pulling the junk out of your deck.

A typical game should have your opponent trying to shoot your spiders down as they advance at 8 a turn. Joss should present a must deal with threat with Armor up. If your opponent is focusing on Joss then your Spiders are going to get into position with out being molested. If they ignore Joss what ever he gets to will die. As soon as you can do the charge / latch on trick en-mass. Rinse repeat. If your oppoent wants to try to flank you and get to Ramos summon spiders when the fate hand allows it (You will have a chance at at least 1 or 2.) and when he gets close summon an electrical creation. Even Marcus' beasts drop to 2 spiders attacking and popping then getting hit by an Electrical Creation. Use electrical Fire as an emergency fall back measure or weapon of opportunity.

With the game against AoM I ran up teh spiders in a big blob with Joss basically in the middle. Sonnia decided that Joss was threat #1 and dropped him with two Flame Burst attacks. Unfortunately this left him very over extended and the next turn the spiders did their thing. I was popping for 6 to 8 damage often and the Swarm waded in finishing off minion after minion. Ramos had moved up at this point and was spamming Summon Spider or Summon Electrical Creation. the electrical Creation amounted for about 10 damage. I did damage some of my stuff but that's the breaks. If you are going to pop a spider and hit your own stuff go ahead and do it. You will only take 1 damage and the chances are good that that spider is going to pop anyway. AoM had some poor luck draws with Sonnia that left him really hanging out but even with out that I have about 8 unpreventable damage coming his way. As it was I had close to 14 unpreventable damage and about 5 melee attacks when she went down.

Start by ignoring the box set and thinking like you own three of everything in the Arcanist faction from the book.

Build a list at 35 soulstones that does not include the Steamborg. He's better than I've razzed TBK about, but at the games we're all still getting used to he doesn't pay for himself, really. Focus on getting Joss and spiders, spiders, spiders in there. You'll use the spiders as "Latch on" to get the target's Df down and come in with other spiders to bite and scratch, or use other muscle that you've brought to the game (consider the Outcast Mercs).

I think Vitzh's biggest error is in his view of Joss. Joss is killer. Possibly the most erroneously costed models in the game. First turn you activate (one power token), then charge 6" (another power token). He's still near Ramos 'cause Ramos is old and slow. Next turn he should get one or two more and he's nearly maxed out. When he hits his target, either in the second or third turn, he's going to powerfield the hell out it.

Don't overlook the ability to hire the Merc Totem: Student of Conflict. The heavy turn you'll get a Fast Ramos, Joss, or Steamborg (if you didn't take my advice and brought it - if you did, having the Student of Conflict will make him a terror).

Spiders.

And why is electrical fire sub-par? It looks pretty solid to me. Ignores armor? Thank you.

One last thing: Ramos like Ice Golems and Gamin as constructs, too. They leave the same scrap tokens as mechanical constructs and he can do his controlled detonation on them as well.

;)

So some good advice was given but how is that going to come into play with a scenario. All those Spiders are insignificant so can't do anything regarding the objective. What does Ramos do then as we now have a big hole in the tactics you provided. The crew has Ramos and Joss, what next?

Simple. Swarm together. The Swarms are not Insignificant.

Just keep that in mind as you are operating. If you see a problem beginning to develop send a spider or two back to join up with one that Ramos has summoned. NE has a very valid point in that Gamin and Ice Golems are really good with Ramos. The Golem makes a top notch bodyguard for Ramos. (Such that I am seriously considering getting one. He can HEAL the damn thing and it can be a cruise missile in a pinch!)

My opinion of Electical Fire as being Sub Par is that it is no where near as powerful as Ramos' summoning spells. And it requires him to be a bit closer to the action then I prefer. That aside it is aces against other Arcanists that have Armor for certain.

There are a lot of issues with what you present.

Last time I checked there is nothing stopping an opponent from cheating to hit arachnids. That and your trick with swarms requires the swarm to be within 5", or engaged and have survived what your opponents has done to them so that they don't immediately create scrap tokens when splitting apart. With a Df4, and a measly armor of 1 this isn't likely.

Joss hiding in cover and using armor every turn isn't building up power tokens. To get what you describe out of him would require him staying completely out of LoS, not spending power tokens and then using all these built up power tokens. He then is effective, but by then I have already lost.

Electrical Creations, Multiple Spiders, and using Surge separately early to cycle? The required cards consist less then 1/8th of your deck. You are getting rather lucky to consistently get multiple effects off in a single turn that all require high value cards from the same suite. Far too often I dont even have an opportunity to summon a spider a turn.

Summoning extra spiders is far too slow. The first turn Ramos needs to move up if he is going to do anything in the game. The second turn he can summon a single spider if he doesn't move. I find my opponents can easily kill 2 spiders a turn even when they are focusing on more substantial models. With the size of the game this gives me maybe 4 turns of play before my crew is dead, and they have suffered minimal loses. There is no second wave as the other factions are far too efficient at putting down whatever you can field, it takes too long to summon it, and requires getting incredibly lucky card draws.

The Bug King pretty much summed it up... but in case the point hasn't been driven home yet, (As unlikely as that seems) here's even more tactical advice from another thread, HERE

I suffered the same problem you described when I first started playing Ramos... he certainly has a unique play style, but once mastered he gives excellent results. So keep at it! :D

I think Vitzh's biggest error is in his view of Joss. Joss is killer. Possibly the most erroneously costed models in the game. First turn you activate (one power token), then charge 6" (another power token). He's still near Ramos 'cause Ramos is old and slow. Next turn he should get one or two more and he's nearly maxed out. When he hits his target, either in the second or third turn, he's going to powerfield the hell out it.

This makes a lot of sense and is significantly better then what was described up thread. I will do this with him the next time I play.

I also haven't been using the Steamborg. Its been all spiders, and Joss.

@ Vitzh, how many games have you played with Ramos and Joss? I suggest you try another 8 to 10 or so before you start drawing these blanket conclusions. And attacking what are tried and true tactics that have been tested across much of the field is rather silly.

You use Power tokens every turn. Armor 1 if you wish. Or charge for movement instead of walking twice to get the two then put up the field. On the turn you go nuts all you need is 1 token! The cat has paired axes and Brutal with a tome in his CB. That's base 4 damage! You hit you do 4 damage. If a spider is in cover the attack flip is fate -1. That means NO cheating. Negative fate makes it so you can not cheat. Df 6 with no cheating is going to stop most attacks intheir tracks if the target can still cheat. (And it can)

As for luck, You do see a good portion of the deck early. You also have soul stones to add to your total so that you can cheat in lower tomes to get that cast off. In fact I often save my high tomes in that case to use alter on. You also keep your high cards as they come up. You do get a decent % of the deck seen over the first couple of turns. And all of this is coming from about 50 to 60 games of practice. Mind you it's mostly with rules that have been since changed but the tactics are sound. The models have not changed overmuch in that time that the general tactic would change.

So, I disagree with Vitzh and think Ramos is a good caster, and in the one game I played had a lot of fun. That being said, I went with the M&SU because of the steamborg. So, with that in mind, what tactics would you advise? I was thinking for a 35 ss list to be: Ramos, Brass Arachnid, Joss, the Steamborg, 4 Arachnids, & 2 spare soul stones.

Well, TBK will remember that I have an Arcanist buddy that torments the hell out of me and at one point had me refusing to play him if he brought out his Ice statues from hell.

Ramos is already slow so he'll sometimes brick Ramos behind an Ice Golem with Joss running close. Then a wave of Gamin as the ready for cruise missiling. And 3-5 spiders doing latch on or detonation duty ahead of them. He'll "allow" me to tear up his spiders all day long and then he'll detonate the gamned gamin on my and with all the scraps around Ramos is getting up there, too and I can't punch through the ice wall fast enough or deal with that terrorist Joss in time. And since Ramos will just Companion the Golem he'll walk out, shoot me twice and then activate the Golem who'll either finish something off or go into a statue right in front of Ramos. Irritating.

Even if I beat him more than he beats me, it sure feels like he took me to town.

@ TheBugKing

Not really impressed with being told to play more games in liu of anything useful or concrete. While we love the system and setting the more games my group plays the more we find that it appears to be poorly playtested. Its nice that they have fixed some problems, but more keep showing up.

Nerdelemental already described how to use Joss. In future games I will have to ask my opponent to kindly position his minions so that the spiders can approach them completely in cover. It sadly hasn't worked this way so far.

You don't see a good portion of the deck early. At most by the second turn you will see 12 different cards in hand. This means you discarded your initial hand and didn't hold onto any high cards as spent cards would be shuffled back in. This is simply not enough to consistently create spiders, and electrical constructs. You will also never have a period like the first turn again to build up your hand. Ramos was not blessed with an overabundance of soulstones and using them to cast spells other cast far easier is just another issue he has.

You can disagree all you want but the guy is losing. I've seen it several times and have went against the list myself. This isn't a dense guy either as he is tops when playing about any other game. We are looking for what is missing or not being done correctly so he can turn the game around and work Ramos out. He has even allowed others to play Ramos and I am up to do it on Thursday.

We keep on reading he is hoss but sure haven't seen it in actual play. For the thread, keep giving advice, lists and whatever else so he can turn this master around and commence to whipping our butts in yet another game.

On terrain setup, how dense are the boards being covered? We haven't put a whole lot on the board, maybe 1 piece per foot or a little less. Could this be a factor into why the issues?

We will need to post a battle report from a game this week.

Edited by knightdrake

So, I disagree with Vitzh and think Ramos is a good caster, and in the one game I played had a lot of fun. That being said, I went with the M&SU because of the steamborg. So, with that in mind, what tactics would you advise? I was thinking for a 35 ss list to be: Ramos, Brass Arachnid, Joss, the Steamborg, 4 Arachnids, & 2 spare soul stones.

Well you have to run the list that fits you and you have to play it to know. Personally, I would advise either Joss or the Steamer. Joss at that level is my suggestion. But since you want the Steamborg, I'd advise dropping the Brass Arachnid and going with the Student of Conflict. The brass spider's stoke is solid, but you'll need a natural Tomes of 11 or higher. The student costs four for the army, but giving fast to anything that you need is just more reliable and flexible, IMO. Dropping Joss would give you back 9 SS, only 7 extra because of my Student of Conflict suggestion, and I'd buy one ice gamin or a single extra spider and bring more SS to the game, or burn them off with 2 and keep your spare SS low.

That's how I'd do it.

We keep on reading he is hoss but sure haven't seen it in actual play. For the thread, keep giving advice, lists and whatever else so he can turn this master around and commence to whipping our butts in yet another game.

On terrain setup, how dense are the boards being covered? We haven't put a whole lot on the board, maybe 1 piece per foot or a little less. Could this be a factor into why the issues?

Terrain: yes, thicken it up a bit. That's a general rule on the boards for this game. More and smaller than for a game like Warmachine. Think 2-4" rather than 6-8" for a diameter.

Wyrd criticism alert!!!

If I had built the box sets, I think Ramos' is the [only] mistake. The Steamborg is character attached to Ramos, but it's misleading and the points are wack-o in this box. For Ramos to really work, you have to consider maxing out the spiders like crazy or hire odd constructs like the Gamin, Golem, or Outcast constructs like Steampunk Abominations. Consider Johan and how strong he'd be within 3" of Ramos. Consider how strong Ramos would be with Alyce in his army (but she'd cost 10) and he'd be drawing +2 cards.

Although I'd max out the spiders as it's just intuitive, consider low construct armies, too, with Joss and just one other construct and go to town with Arcanist beasts or other solo ops.

The humor me and try to do what I posted and see what happens. Are you playing on an open field with no terrain?

Also I find the complaint that Df 4 is horrible to odd. Most ranged attacks are around Cb5 so you should be relatively close to begin with. If they get a weak hit, the damage flip will be at fate -1 so there is no cheating there. Most ranged weapons have a weak damage of 2 or less and often moderate hits only do 2 damage. That means it should take two hits to drop a spider. If your opponents models are standing still you should be able to outmaneuver him. If not then hold the spiders that get hit back a bit and push the healthy ones to the front so that they have to be shot or get in his mug.

I really am having a lot of trouble seeing why you are having such trouble with them. I mean, if you just run straight at your opponent you are going to get pasted. It doesn't really matter who you play. Present multiple must deal with threats so that you opponent must make hard decisions to win. Then punish him for making those decisions.

Also, the spiders move 8" a turn ignoring terrain effects. You can't tell me that you can't run form behind a building to a small copse of trees to a wall all while ignoring terrain modifiers and make it almost all the way across the table. The suggested terrain saturation is 2 pieces per sq foot. If you only have one stand of trees and a house on the table then yes the shooting crews will win. They just have to walk back and pick you to pieces. Honestly that is the only way I can see what you are describing happening. Hell, the spiders are only 1" high. They can hide behind a low hill!

*edit*

After seeing the comment on terrain:

That's your issue. Not enough. The game was designed to be played on a pretty terrain dense board. Nothing against mostly open tables but it's just going to swing into the shooters hands that much more. You really should be able to, with 16" of movement leave yourself exposed for at most 1 turn. If not then you folks should really consider adding a lot more terrain.

That being said, you can still do relatively well if you present a massed attack. Stage in terrain and then advance with all your threats all at once. Your opponent will still have to pick and choose and all it takes is a few models to make into to combat to totally screw up the shooter's plans. Also as NE said, consider taking something faster. A sabertooth cerebus for example can leap and engage in 1 turn from practically anywhere to anywhere. So on your exposure turn sacrifice the cerebus to engage a bunch of shooters. Then most if not all the of the rest of your stuff will make it there. At least then you will be relying on good management of the fate deck and not getting chewed up on the way there.

Edited by TheBugKing

Tactica: Joss, Part II

Why Joss is amazing:

So, follow the advice I offered above, and on the second turn he should be activated near the end of the turn, hoping something gets within 8" so he can charge it. However, he does have 2 power tokens, so even if something is further away, thinking it's safe, consider some Joss loving. He activates (gains a power token) and charges for 2AP (his fourth power token). He's 12" up the board. He's not done: he activates Overload and dumps 2 wounds and 3 power tokens (leaving 1) and he reactivates.

On his reactivation (hopefully he's already one of the last models to activate this turn) he now activates (=2 power tokens) and charges something within 8" of him now (=3 power tokens). He could have activated Discharge for more damage with the 2 or saved them for after the attack for a Force Field of 3.

he's crazy strong. Better than the Steamborg, if you ask me.

We have a game scheduled for Thursday, the advice will be used and the board set up by the book on density. I will post an after action report so y'all can get a better understanding of what is going on to help him out to refine the tactica.

Sounds really good.

With some concrete examples of what is going on it will be a lot better then Theoryfaux in our attempts to help.

Once I get my crews painted up I intend to photograph the actual turns with with actual notes on what was done. It should help a lot with some of these issues.

Case in point I dropped Seamus today in 2 turns with Lady Justice. Well I had him to 3 wounds in 1 turn. Then won initiative and offed him.

Well you have to run the list that fits you and you have to play it to know. Personally, I would advise either Joss or the Steamer. Joss at that level is my suggestion.

First, thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I try and always say that when I'm going to ignore it. :whistle:

I picked up Joss because he's really cool and I picked the steamborg because he's cool (actually the reason I picked the whole faction). So I like 'em, I'm gonna use 'em. Any advice for dealing with the fact I'm gonna be outnumbered here?

But since you want the Steamborg, I'd advise dropping the Brass Arachnid and going with the Student of Conflict. The brass spider's stoke is solid, but you'll need a natural Tomes of 11 or higher. The student costs four for the army, but giving fast to anything that you need is just more reliable and flexible, IMO.

Yeah, your point is right. A guaranteed +1 AP every turn lets Ramos keep up and then lets me companion and linked in lets me activate Ramos, the student, and then a fast steamborg.

What if I dropped the brass arachnid and a regular arachnid for the student. It'd net me a soulstone, giving me 5 to start. Or I could just drop the brass arachnid and spend the remaining 4 so that I only have what Ramos brings with his cache.

On a more general note to Vitzh, perhaps the army just isn't your feng shui. I'm a big believer is matching your play style to your army. For example, I tend to like no frills armies. You can have all your special rules, just give me guys that can do the basics well. I like dwarves in fantasy games, for example. I play Imperial Guard and orks in 40K. When I scream at the TV during football season, its usually because my team can't run the ball or stop the run.

Maybe this army just isn't your playing style. That could be it. I know that may not be what you want to hear having purchased the box set, but maybe that's the case. Or maybe not, I dunno.