Jus't can't stop - Nicodem

Wulfen

I'm more than slightly concerned that they only changed this now, after release. That immediately tells me that it wasn't thoroughly tested.

For now, I'm willing to give Wyrd the benefit of the doubt. Rules writing is very hard, as you have to strike the balance of page space vs clarity with a language that has multiple meanings for each word. I mean, for example, look at the thread regarding the word "Towards" as an example. Even if you do everything right, you can still have people interpreting things weird.

And that's if you get it right. It's amazing how some combos just aren't visualized. I'll give you an example: I was doing some rules writing for this small company where we were adding specialty units. There was this one model that was a low level character, a duelist type. I personally played 8-10 games with this model in the army and then handed it over to another group (in another state with its own conventions) who played another 8-10 games. We were all happy with it, made a few tweaks here and there, and then published it.

Less than a week into publishing a friend of mine put the duellist into a unit, saying "she makes a really good & cost efficient unit commander." My response was "you can't do that." To which he replied that it didn't say that. I was simply stunned. The model was called a duellist, all her story was about single combat, all her neat stuff was when facing single models.

But he was right. Despite all that, I did not write anywhere a simple line about her not being able to join units. And in 15-20 games between my gaming group, another gaming group, and the head rules writer of the company it never came up.

And so, out came an errata fixing what was a simple and bone-headed omission on my part. All because I started with a certain assumption in mind. And I promise you, I've worked with enough game companies out there to know that this happens a lot. You'd be amazed how many people, when exposed to the meta-concept of a unit/model, never try using that model against the intended concept.

I just don't see how Cuddling an entire faction, especially their unique strength, that makes them what they are, helps the game.

They're not Cuddling them. They're bringing them back in line with the others. The ability as it stood allowed the Resurrectionists to play with 33% to 50% more soulstones than their opponent. And nothing you say will convince me that having 50% more stuff than my opponent is fair.

Those of you say this is fine, have you played against Guild or other crews with abilities that eliminate corpse counters? Against crews like this, now you don't even have a chance to get going. Nico's entire theme just got hit because of fast, cheap dogs?

Yes, I have played against Guild and against Lady Justice quite a few times now with Nidoderm and Seamus and have been able to win and playing the "cuddled" rules from the get go.

It's still fine. The Guild would still be able to rid you of your zombies because zombies count as corpses. They can just say, "Zombies be gone."

With Nicoderm you get "Bolster Undead" which is WAY better than bringing in Zombies when fighting the Death Marshals. Df 7, Cb 9:malicrows with 2/4/5 Dg, Rot, flurry, Slow to Die is some pretty damn hard hitting Zombie Punks. And the fact that Nicoderm has Fog, you can basicaly just forget the Zombies with them and just go for their throats.

Imagine bringing in Killjoy in this list at 30ss and letting Mortimer sit home and dig by himself.

This is not a cuddle unless all you care about is having Zombies at all times, but I've done quite well without them.

Those of you say this is fine, have you played against Guild or other crews with abilities that eliminate corpse counters? Against crews like this, now you don't even have a chance to get going. Nico's entire theme just got hit because of fast, cheap dogs?

Yep, quite a lot. Without using the search action. Corpse counters is one of the Res strengths but its not the only thing they do. Nico is a great buff master for his undead buddies. He can cast spells that force your enemy to take the battle into melee(where Punk Zombies and constructs rule). He has a ranged, blast spell that not only hurts a lot, it heals his buddies. Combined with Vultures he can cast that spell anywhere on the board.

He's got a lot of cool things going for him.

Actually, I think I'd be somewhat fine with this with only one or two small changes. Since only Mort can 'create' corpse counters, if they removed the once a turn restriction on Exhume, I'd be fine. Also, if they allowed Nico to 'buy' corpse counters with soul stones like McManus can with Body parts. I'd probably be fine with this, then.

2 zombies is nice to have, 2 corpse counters to make another zombie punk is nice especially at 25ss.

I have to ask in case we've been playing this wrong locally. I thought that Reanimate allowed you to spend a corpse counter to create an undead of the same base size, one corpse counter = 30mm base. (2 = 40mm, 3 = 50mm). Where does the 2 counters for one 30mm undead model come into play?

I have to ask in case we've been playing this wrong locally. I thought that Reanimate allowed you to spend a corpse counter to create an undead of the same base size, one corpse counter = 30mm base. (2 = 40mm, 3 = 50mm). Where does the 2 counters for one 30mm undead model come into play?

Nope you were doing it right 1 corpse counter gets you a Punk Zombie.

If Nico could get Corpse Counters at the beginning of the game, who WOULDNT just take 2 less than your game-size max for an auto-7 SS golem? And this would be doable on Turn 1 instead of Turn 2?

No ;P As cool as the way it used to work was, it was just wrong. Now it is balanced. Period. You can STILL get nasty golems etc out, but you need to kill shit first. Big deal!

After thinking about ut, and theoryfauxing my heart out, I'm completely fine with this change. I think we'll still be getting the counters we need. I'm just glad it changed before I got rolling.

And for thoseof you that think that this should have been changed before release, I'd like you to remember the fiasco that bile thralls were in their initial incarnation. It happens. Let's move on and learn how to make the resurectionists shine.... Or fester, whatever's more appropriate.