Mercs?

Mofreaka

I will start by saying i currently do not have the rule book, but was overwhelmed by the mini's and the prospect of play this game. So with the impulse buyer that I am, i purchased a box of Outcast Merc's (Viktoria's)with Hans and Misaki on the side. Now my question after looking over a chunk of the forums is, is the box set and all mini's inside of it able to be played by other factions? Thanks for the help.

Freaka

Out of the box set and the additional 2 models i bought, can i make a crew? Or do i need to purchase another box set to get going? Trust me, i debated for a long time between the Lady J set and this one, but leaned this way figureing the way the models looked the Viks set was more melee oriented, and my play style is a more aggressive style. I guess, any advice to what direction i should go now would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Freaka

The Outcasts are a completely stand alone faction. All mercs are outcasts, but not all Outcasts are mercs. If you've got Outcasts, you've got a crew that plays by their own rules, rather than all falling under the same general goals and fluff.

I know, I'm starting to sound like a broken record. Curse you, Privateer Press, for making everyone see "Mercenaries" and thinking "not a real faction" before they see "Outcasts." As a complete 5th faction.

I know they can be a stand alone faction and its not that i see "mercs' in a bad way, i see them as a stand alone faction, i just dont like the idea that i may seem them across the table with Guild, or Arcanists or some other faction that can get em. I already got the viks box set and am happy that i did, it just means ill have multiple routes to take as I am also looking at getting the Lady J box set. Thanks for the response's.

Freaka

Ah, sorry. I just know that people seem to have grown used to the whole "Mercs are not a faction" semi-joke with PP.

Only some of the Outcasts are mercenaries. You're only going to be seeing Gremlins with Zoraida (right now) unless Som'er Teeth is on the table, for instance. And Alyce is severely limited as well.

You can see Bishop on the other side of the table hanging out with some dirty Arcanists, but he's going to cost 11 Stones in that situation, so if they want him, they're certainly paying for him.

Johan and the Convict Gunslinger are probably going to be the most common. People like Hans, but a sniper really doesn't fit into every list. Johan and the Gunslinger are good all around models, and they work well in medium range.

We tried hard to keep the mercenaries feeling like a band of warriors for hire, and anyone who would have been an "auto-include" ended up getting toned down, or getting a high points cost, or both. I'm not seeing a ton of people looking at mercenaries just yet. you might see things swing that way between now and Gen Con, but I think it will be a trend or a fad, rather than the norm.

The only thing with the outcast that bothers me is how restricted a player is based on the master the player takes. In all the other factions you can take any troop of that faction with any master. Now it does not bother me that greatly because Som'er and Levi both have a very strong theme to them.

Good info to know. Also, all miniatures now come with stat cards but what about us that purchased mini's before the stat cards? How do we get those without buying the mini's again?

Look in the Wyrd Webstore, we have faction packs, where you get every card for miniatures previously released for each faction for $5.

More troops are great, but what I would like to see is another master. My main gaming buddy has the Victorias and I would like to use some of the outcasts troops without having 4 Victorias on the table or hiring them as mercs. It could cause some confusion.

Well, I'm sure there will be something coming along eventually to help out there. I remember a few rumblings about possibilities during some playtesting. I'm sure we'll be seeing more than just new Minions as time goes on.

What?

Sacrilege! He needs another 6 or 7. At least. As it stands he already has the most options out of any master in the game. Why stop when you are ahead?

Quiet, you! You don't need anymore ways to play something that's already too complicated for mere mortals to comprehend.

Johan and the Convict Gunslinger are probably going to be the most common. People like Hans, but a sniper really doesn't fit into every list. Johan and the Gunslinger are good all around models, and they work well in medium range.

You forgot the Ronin. I see this one being used alot by out of faction as well.

And needed with Victoria.

They're not "needed," per se. They work very well with her, and she has abilities that require them to use said ability, but they are not a requirement at all. I think I used a Ronin once during playtesting. With the other mercenaries running around, your opponent will have plenty of things to worry about. And if you lose 1 Viktoria, you've probably put a hurting on a fair few models, or you've been hanging one of them out to dry. In upper-end Scraps, and in Brawls, a couple of Ronins are totally worth it. at 25-30, I skip them.

Of course, this is just one guy's opinion. There are certainly others who feel they are a "must have."