10-24-09 Chicago Tournament!

WEiRD sKeTCH

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drew,

I'm wondering about details for game setup. I love the fact that Malifaux is character-driven, but there's no denying that some elements of that are not optimal for tourny setup.

Are you planning on skipping step 2 ('Select Location', which includes terrain setup) of setup? Time constraints probably demand that it be skipped or heavily modified. I imagine it'll be like the Malifaux tourny at Gen Con (and most GW and PP tournies), where you arrive at a table already decked with terrain. But I've been wrong before...

Will the special events and special terrain rules (one of my fave parts of this game!!) be used? Will they be flipped for as normal, pre-determined and set for each board, or not used at all?

And how about step 5? Do we choose crews by the book (i.e., after seeing the terrain and strategies and schemes), or are we limited (ala Warmachine) to bringing one or two prepared lists we must use for every scrap?

Or are all of these secrets to be revealed day of the show?

Just curious.

Thanks for considering. (And thanks for running the show!)

:malirams

Edited by Gargathor

Drew,

I'm wondering about details for game setup. I love the fact that Malifaux is character-driven, but there's no denying that some elements of that are not optimal for tourny setup.

Are you planning on skipping step 2 ('Select Location', which includes terrain setup) of setup? Time constraints probably demand that it be skipped or heavily modified. I imagine it'll be like the Malifaux tourny at Gen Con (and most GW and PP tournies), where you arrive at a table already decked with terrain. But I've been wrong before...

Will the special events and special terrain rules (one of my fave parts of this game!!) be used? Will they be flipped for as normal, pre-determined and set for each board, or not used at all?

And how about step 5? Do we choose crews by the book (i.e., after seeing the terrain and strategies and schemes), or are we limited (ala Warmachine) to bringing one or two prepared lists we must use for every scrap?

Or are all of these secrets to be revealed day of the show?

Just curious.

Thanks for considering. (And thanks for running the show!)

:malirams

Step 1: Decide Encounter Size & Number of Soulstones Available: 30 Stones. Check!

Step 2: Encounter Location: There will be pre set tables so no need for this step. Encounter Features (special events/terrain) will also be provided. Check!

Step 3: Choose Deployment Areas. Standard 6" Deployment Areas. Check!

Step 4: Choose Strategy & Schemes. There will be a common Strategy for all players at all tables each round. You will be allowed to choose 2 schemes. Check!

Step 5: Hire Crews. After you find out what your strategy is and you select your schemes, you will be allowed to hire your Crew. No need for 1 list or 2 lists like other games. The only restriction is you play one Faction. Check!

Step 6: Deployment. Flip for deployment.

Step 7: HAVE FUN! IT'S ALL HALLOWS EVE IN MALIFAUX!

Yep. Just like you do in the book.

And that should be fine. Going to take some jeweler's chan and put it in manacles?

Cool.. that was one of my concerns of the game in a tournament format. Still have a few concerns on the card decks, but that is for another conversation. :)

As for the conversion, yep. Going to greenstuff some manacles on a terror tot and bind him with a huge ball and chain. I'll be curious to see how the real one is sculpted when it comes out. But mine should work for now.

:)

Hey WS, how're you guys doing with the 1hr 15min time limits? I and a friend started using 75 minute timers last night, and we're still not quite up to speed. Getting around 4-5 turns (I'd prefer 6-7) before time is called.

How fast does your group typically play, and has time been an issue for y'all?