Leviticus: The mind-breaking, steam-powered pimp hand of desolation!

McNs

OK, I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for models with overly complex rules/combos. I still love me some straight-forward Masters (Rasputina, Lilith), but holy moley - Leveticus is something sexy.

I just want to make sure I've got this right: the only way to get him off the board is to kill his Hollow Waifs, but those should be coming back the following turn anyhow. So you can make him go away temporarily, but you'll never really get rid of him. Am I reading this right?

I'm looking to give him a spin after a few demo games tonight: although its going to be a low point game (25) , I'm looking at taking a Desolation Engine, Rusty Alice, and points to fill (either a Convict Gunner or some Canine Remains). Am I missing anything with that? Should I start the game with some Steampunk Abominations?

I certainly agree with the draw of something complicated. I have way less experience than most of the people on this board, but you might want to consider saving some of the stones to bring onto the board. Levi doesn't have a cache, so you only have the soulstones you save from hiring your crew.

Also, I think that you can kill him for good, if you also kill every hollow waif on the board before the closing phase on the turn he dies. This means his waif is very important. Because of that, you might want to consider switching out an extra stone for a corpse token, which he can use to create another waif, should his die in action. Of course, given the crew you listed (the same one I will likely going use), Levi is the only one with graverobber, so you will be dropping the token every turn you die.

Alternatively, I believe you could give him a scrap token and have Alyce build a steam punk abomination first turn, while you still have extra control cards to burn. I'm not sure that this works, so I would appreciate any corrections that those who are better versed in the rules could offer.

Don't forget to bring other proxy bases for the extra steampunk abominations and waifs that you will summon, either by magic or by the destruction of the desolation engine.

Side note: is there any concept art out there for the desolation engine? My imagination creates an undead steampunk locamotive of destruction (complete with steam whistle) but I'm not sure that is what the creators are really trying to convey.

well, he is undead and steampunk mixed. I've heard he looks pretty badass, but I haven't seen anything.

You're right about needing to drop the Hollow Waifs if you want him to stay down. It can be done, though. Leveticus and Seamus are probably the most survivable Masters around. They can be killed, but you're going to have your work cut out for you there.

I figured but it just seemed a bit weird. Even though Ted is a construct I figured he'd be more of a construct of the mind, a supernatural being (not that undead aren't right enough) but he just doesn't seem to fit ol' Levi's theme. Teddy is probably the model I want to see the most out of the unreleased stuff, dying to see what you guys do with this thing!

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely love the initial impression of this guys playstyle - get your waif(s) set up someplace safe, and then go in, balls to the walls, burning yourself out in a blaze of spells and pimp-backhanding unibrow glory. :)

The fact that he can pick constructs, undead, and souless ups the appeal in my opinion, as the minion pool is gigantic and varied. I also really like that he's got some very nasty "at range" options in terms of spells, but getting into melee isn't exactly riskless either (if he scores a hit, The Face of Death gives you some decent probability to try for the tasty severe damage).

I particularly enjoy the idea of using Unnatural wasting in tandem with a Hanged Whisper from Beyond to be a 1-2 knockout punch of doom. :P

So many fun options - this is definitely a master up my alley.

Yeah, once I get a hand of this game, he'll be a caster that I move onto. So many weird interations.

I find him incredibly fascinating. He immediately struck me as a master that, in the hands of a skilled player is going to be incredibly nasty, but for a mediocre player, will pretty much always remain high hanging fruit.

I love games with "primary models" like that.

What i love most about him is that his crew can be so amazingly varied, and his tactics change more than any other master that i can see dependent upon which crew you take. You can take SPA's out the ass and go for a swarm / direct damage approach, you can take an undead loadout and go for lots of direct damage, or necroswarms which you can then turn into SPA swarms when your opponent kills them (and is currently something i'm testing out a little bit).

Just a very varied minion pool to select from, including some of the nastier things that each of the ress'ers and neverborn have to offer (bete, hanged, punk zombies, teddy, juju, hooded rider, etc).

whats a necroswarm that turns into a spa swarm? i know what spa is but necro?

since every necro i know from the necropunks up drop corpse tokens not scrap tokens

Yah, i brain farted - sorry about that. I was confusing them for SPA's which drop either or. So, no go on necropunks.

Shame. Their other specials are pretty attractive, but not enough to warrant not dropping scraps. Oh well. :)

my thoughts exactly! i would take them in a second if they could drop scrap tokens!

what do you think about taking 4 dogs that you turn into SPA's to make a desolation engine for 4 points cheaper?

would take two turns to convert em all, but could be worth it!

I actually thought about doing that. :D

My one issue with it is if i can keep them alive long enough to turn them into scaps and form voltron. ;)

The answer is "probably", with the added benefit that the DE is probably going to be very close to the enemy by the time you get it up and becoming voltron. It's definitely a good idea.

My one concern is points... what do you cut from the list to get that in ?

That's the real question! For me, i'm not 100% sure. I could always drop a steam punk zombie, which pays for 2.5 of them, but past that i have absolutely no clue (i really don't want to drop the hanged - that combo is just vicious).

For bigger games (35 SS +), though that's going to be a great little way to engineer yourself up a DE.

Don't forget too, that alyce and leve can always spend a turn scavenging for scrap, which means you could get away with 2 dogs, and two scrap tokens, and go from there. That's another solution too!

I don't think the hanged combo is that vicious. I think your op is going to save his control hand to beat that situation when he sees those two models on the field. Plus, that combo won't actually kill anyone, just bring them down to one or two WD remaining. I think a flurrying bette noire is going to be more efficient at killing most models

edit: the combo will kill models with 5 or less WD but why would you want to spend two activations on a 5WD model? There are a lot of models you can take that will kill an enemy in one activation. Or, why not cast unnatural wasting twice?

Edited by sprue

i personally dont like the hanged man id rather take rusty for 8 pts or the hooded rider.

rusty has tons of synergy with levi, and very good ranged

hooded cause he is a construct worth 3 counters, can tow SPA's FAST and is very good melee who adapts, which is awesome!

hanged man....ehhh, about 60% of the game is immune to 20% of his abilities in the fear stuff, then another what? 20-30% of which are immune to influence, and generally beat sticks people often take and these guys are 100% immune to everything he does.

I just ordered Leveticus, Rusty Alyce, Steamborg Execution and the Necropunks.

I think the Necropunks will benefit a lot from Blessings of Desolation, which will give them double crows on the combat score, letting them have both the Rot Trigger and the Desolation Warping. Theoretically letting you Summon Steampunk Abominations much easier.